The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 10-12-2015, 09:14 AM   #61
Griff
still says videotape

I think his windmill does most of the battery charging.
Old 10-12-2015, 09:29 AM   #62
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Oh, then are they water panels?
Old 10-12-2015, 11:18 AM   #63
Beest
Adapt and Survive

A Nova show, The First Air War. About the evolution of aircraft during the WWI.
The twist is that there is an American guy in New Zealand with a workshop and team of guys that build the planes from scratch according to original blue prints so instead of just old pictures there is great footage of the planes being flown.

They could also test out some stuff like dogfighting two planes to see which is superior.
Beest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 11:52 AM   #64
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Oh, then are they water panels?
I'll have to ask him, I think he has both but the solar cells may be on his battery shed.
Old 10-12-2015, 11:53 AM   #65
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beest View Post
A Nova show, The First Air War. About the evolution of aircraft during the WWI.
The twist is that there is an American guy in New Zealand with a workshop and team of guys that build the planes from scratch according to original blue prints so instead of just old pictures there is great footage of the planes being flown.

They could also test out some stuff like dogfighting two planes to see which is superior.
How cool is that? I'll answer that's pretty damn cool.
Old 10-12-2015, 01:28 PM   #66
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Way cool, NOVA, PBS, and the internet for that matter, have unearthed some long hidden treasures in photographs and film. Most of it not intentionally hidden, but just unknown outside a circle of the holder's friends. Companies fold and some employee grabs records being trashed for a keepsake, or an employee took behind the scenes photos of historic events, when there was no news organizations who wanted them. I mean who takes snapshots at events thinking they are a historic record, just souvenirs to show friends. Unfortunately the snapshots taken today have the owner's mug in every damn shot.
Old 10-22-2015, 01:36 AM   #67
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

I dont watch TV really anymore because its all RUBBISH but the last documentary I watched was NAKED STATES (2000) on VHS .. I got it @ salvation army....

www.imdb.com/title/tt0259453

It was beautiful seeing ppl NOT BE AFRAID to pose naked for this guy... Most people are so brainwashed they think its wrong to be seen nude.... Its a shame really.....
Dude111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 07:45 AM   #68
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

I think it was titled $chooled: The High Cost of College Sports.

Very educational
Old 10-30-2015, 05:42 AM   #69
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Yea most documentaries are
Dude111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 11:51 AM   #70
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Agreed, I split documentaries into interesting or Zzz. But interesting is a very personal call. By saying a particular thing was interesting I'm voicing an opinion, and those listening to me would have to know something about me to make a judgment. That's why anything Patrick Stoner(critic for PBS) says is interesting, I'll only watch as a last resort.
Old 10-30-2015, 12:08 PM   #71
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

The last documentary I watched was sort of a documentary - but also a pop-culture history clip show with celeb guests commenting. It was a continuation of the excellent 'It was alright in the 1970s'. This time it was looking at telly in the 80s and was fascinating.

I also watched, on the same evening, the first part of 'The Celts: Blood, Iron and Sacrifice', with Neil Oliver and Alice Roberts. I usually really like Oliver, and have watched quite a few of his documentaries. I quite like Alice Roberts too, as an academic, but I sometimes find the style of her documentaries a little grating. I found the programme interesting, but very slow and to be honest I could do without all the docudrama scenes wrapped around it. I'd have preferred the analysis to have been a little more compact and the delivery of headline findings a little less heavy-handed.

Last edited by DanaC; 10-30-2015 at 12:14 PM.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 12:35 PM   #72
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
I'm voicing an opinion, and those listening to me would have to know something about me to make a judgment.
I've got one friend IRL and I love it when he tells me a movie is good because he has the worst taste you can imagine, and I know what to skip.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 02:43 PM   #73
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

But when he saw the movie it was great, it's not his fault you picked a bad night to see it.
Old 10-30-2015, 02:49 PM   #74
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Saw one awhile back called "Approaching the Elephant," about an attempt at a very different alternative school (many wouldn't even call it that.) It was interesting, but very much proved that just because the current public schools are bad doesn't mean every other idea is better.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 04:23 AM   #75
be-bop
Operations Operative

I saw a programme on Sky arts called "Finding Vivian Maier"
Or Mary Poppins with a camera,
When Vivian died she left over 150,000 images, negative and prints in storage, she was never published in her lifetime but it's only now being realised how important her pictures are.
Most of the stuff they showed was street shots of people and areas now long gone in New York and other towns she lived and worked in.
D
she seemed to be a total eccentric especially towards the end of her life but what a photographer eye she had, any one interested in photography should try and see some of her work you tube has stuff and there's lots on the net.
I was blown away by some of the images.
be-bop is offline   Reply With Quote