The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 12-28-2002, 11:44 AM   #1
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Jessie Jackson and Al Sharpton

As many of you know, I have been critical of both of these men in the past. Recently I have seen a change in the way they are dealing with the press and TV. The "new and improved" black leaders are much easier to listen to and I was very impressed when I heard what they were saying.

Al was interviewed about a week ago by MSNBC and I saw the clip on the computer. The topic was whether Trent should resign from the Senate or not. What he actually said wasn't as important as how he said it. The old Al would be emotional, sarcastic, and visibly agitated. He would regularly cut people off and throw out ridiculous, far reaching parallels to slavery of long ago. The Al I saw on the clip was calm and deliberate as well as courteous. He still has an accent that is very noticeable as it distracts the listener from his message, but he’s made real improvement (IMO as a country nut that speaks Hillbillian).

Jessie was recently on the Sean Hannity radio program speaking about the same topic. When I heard the promo, I couldn’t believe he even booked time on the show, as he never has before. Here again his presentation of his case was refined and provided a credible interview. The old game of slavery being worked into every sentence and theme seems to have been replaced. That’s good for both of them if they wish to increase their support.

The actual content was obviously from a black perspective and to tell the truth, I’m not real familiar or sympathetic to it. At the same time, the new refined presentation of their issues at least allows me to listen without sharpening knives. I still don’t agree with many of their opinions and I think Jessie needs to be audited by the IRS, like everyone else would had they kept the same lousy accounting records for a “non-profit” org. If he continues to interview in this way, I will certainly listen and give him a fair shake though, as will millions of others.

I believe it was Frederick Douglass that first promoted the idea to “agitate, agitate, agitate” the fuck out of people until they gained attention to the black peoples’ injustices and they were changed. That was in the 1800s, but the leadership seems to have adopted that into the 1900s possibly because that’s the only strategy that’s worked. That outdated method has hopefully run its course and maybe now we can have rational conversations.

Has anyone else noticed a change in the tone of these leaders?

Last edited by slang; 12-28-2002 at 11:49 AM.
slang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2002, 11:55 AM   #2
Al Gore smoking
stupid is as stupid does

Re: Jessie Jackson and Al Sharpton

Quote:
Originally posted by slang
Has anyone else noticed a change in the tone of these leaders?
(Takes a long drag from a Marlboro.....then blows smoke from his ears)

I have. I think Willy coached them about the media thing, you know, being he was so god damned good at it.
Old 12-28-2002, 12:02 PM   #3
Saddam Hussein
The CIA faked my death

Did Willy tell Jessie not to come over here and try to gain support for the anti kick my ass movement? I hope so, I can't refuse the help and all, being so close to an ass kicking. That doesnt mean I enjoy haveing all these types here though.

I have to hide my public brutality when I get visitors trying to help me.
Old 12-28-2002, 02:06 PM   #4
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

As I noted here, Sharpton seems to be toning down the rhetoric. As far as Jesse, he earned massive brownie points IMO for helping to get those POW's out of Yugoslavia. But I don't think Jesse will run for political office again; his best chance was probably '92...I think his son (currently a Congressman from South Chicago) is ready to take the mantle. I think he's still very relevant in the departments of civil rights and working for unity; however, I also think that he needs to pick and choose his battles better (e.g. the students that were suspended in Decatur, IL a few years back).

Saddam, with all due respect to Allah, you might need to call the Vatican.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2002, 02:16 PM   #5
God
Not half the God I used to be

Quote:
Originally posted by sycamore
Saddam, with all due respect to Allah, you might need to call the Vatican.
Allah, God, they're both the same....me. Had I known it was so annoying to him, I'd have sent the whole cast of the TV series The West Wing. not Spicoli.
God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2002, 02:25 PM   #6
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Quote:
Originally posted by sycamore
As I noted here, Sharpton seems to be toning down the rhetoric.
I see. Your description didnt create quite the same image as the clip I saw of Al. He was likeable. I almost fell out.
Old 12-28-2002, 02:29 PM   #7
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally posted by slang
I see. Your description didnt create quite the same image as the clip I saw of Al. He was likeable. I almost fell out.
Perhaps instead of saying that he's softening up, I could have said, "Al Sharpton now hugs and kisses babies of all colors and will grant white journalists interviews with a smile and a lollipop."
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2002, 02:34 PM   #8
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

I also heard the other day from Mike Gallager, that Al was actually very civil when off air in commercial breaks and such.

Mike said Al was saying something like " come on mike lets go get some reebs afta da show". Hell, I love ribs, I probably woulda gone (even if he didnt pick up the check)
Old 12-28-2002, 03:01 PM   #9
hermit22
sleep.

Slang, I admire your open-mindedness.

I admit that I haven't seen much of Sharpton or Jackson lately, but from what I've seen in the past...I'm fine with Jackson, but I'm not fond of Sharpton. If he's cut out the race-baiting rhetoric, however, he may become a real political contender.

Regardless, it will be hard for either one to divorce themselves from their past. It is too recent, and too many people view them as too reactionary. However, it is definately admirable to see such an effort.
Old 12-25-2007, 09:45 PM   #10
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Wow a thread with input from Al Gore smoking, Saddam Hussein and God. Only on the Cellar.
Old 12-25-2007, 11:25 PM   #11
regular.joe
Старый сержант

um, wow. Not only was Al Gore smoking, thereby increasing his carbon footprint..but was blowing smoke out of his ears. Wow.

Death, like birth, is a secret of Nature. - Marcus Aurelius.
regular.joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 01:05 PM   #12
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

lol - I thought this was an interesting thread cuz of what they were both up to this year.