The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 11-22-2003, 07:36 AM   #46
HaywardNelson
Belt Conveyor

Quote:
Originally posted by sycamore
Hayward, we encourage people to post their opinion here. However, we're not very fond of people that post opinion as fact. You did it three times in one of your earlier posts.

I'd say it depends on the situation. For example, let's say somebody is trying to find me.

Hello...I'm looking for Rahsaan Saleem. We went to high school together and I haven't spoken to him in 20 years. The last known address I was able to find for him is:

1555 Iron Butterfly Road
Philadelphia, PA 19132

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

And then, someone might know where I live, and then said person could find me. So in this situation, it could be incredibly beneficial to post my information here.

Hope all this helps...
So this scenario wouldn't creep you out at all? Someone posting your name in full as well as your home address on random message boards? I don't know...

ETA: and if your real street name is Iron Butterfly, well, that flat-out rules!
HaywardNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2003, 10:44 AM   #47
HaywardNelson
Belt Conveyor

And also? Thanks for attempting to placate me through patronage. I found it to be one part absurd, one part insulting and one part amusing. Stirred and not shaken, please and thanks.
I post as FACT that what you have done to April is wrong. As we have all proven, you never know who is lurking. For all you know, you have just provided a headcase with the name of her school. A sick person would go to the trouble of finding out her information while a potentially sick person would have it at a glance, considering how a previous post has it all wrapped up with a bow.
Also, I find that what you have done is akin to posting information about a pre-teen. Either way, both minors and both wrong.
No, I don't "think" it's wrong...It IS wrong.
As for that being annoying (someone posting thoughts as fact), that's just plain silly and you know it. You sound well-read. Why can you not see a problem with this?
One last thing: is there not an option in the user CP that would disallow her posts to be part of your viewing/posting pleasures? If not, I am sure a moderator can make that possible.

And for FileNotFound- The ability to procreate does not an adult make. It rhymes. Should be easy for you to refer to in the future. If this were the case, I would have been considered an adult when I got my first freaking period at 11.

ETA: for your reading pleasure http://cybercrimes.net/99MSCCC/MSCCC...e3/3.01.3.html

Last edited by HaywardNelson; 11-22-2003 at 10:54 AM.
Old 11-22-2003, 11:35 AM   #48
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I don't see anything in art III about the name, address and/or phone number of a SCHOOL.
Old 11-22-2003, 01:38 PM   #49
jeni
is stuck on altair-4

can we just ban everyone?
jeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2003, 01:40 PM   #50
HaywardNelson
Belt Conveyor

A disagreement calls for banning? And which camp do you guard, Schadenfrau?
Old 11-22-2003, 01:42 PM   #51
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Damn, you guys -- is The Cellar normally like this on a regular basis or do these odd outbursts of angsty tantrums come and go in cycles?
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2003, 01:44 PM   #52
HaywardNelson
Belt Conveyor

A tantrum? I doubt it.
Trying to protect the rights of a minor? More likely.
Old 11-22-2003, 01:55 PM   #53
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Well, I was referring to the tantrums of the minor, which keep slipping into and invading other random threads...

Is anyone calling the authorities on this? If you think the rights of a minor are being violated, or that laws are being broken, I highly encourage you to do the right thing and get the local authorities involved. Otherwise, it ain't gonna stop.
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2003, 02:24 PM   #54
juju
no one of consequence

No, I assure you, kids logging on, creating billions of fake accounts, and flooding threads with absolute garbage is complety abnormal for the Cellar. Usually, it's really cool here. :)
juju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2003, 02:39 PM   #55
jeni
is stuck on altair-4

Quote:
Originally posted by HaywardNelson
A disagreement calls for banning? And which camp do you guard, Schadenfrau?
i don't know if you're referring to me, but my comment was made in jest.

...which i thought was pretty obvious, considering i hadn't posted in this thread prior to said comment.
Old 11-22-2003, 04:48 PM   #56
HaywardNelson
Belt Conveyor

Quote:
Originally posted by jeni

i don't know if you're referring to me, but my comment was made in jest.

...which i thought was pretty obvious, considering i hadn't posted in this thread prior to said comment.
I thought it was common knowlege that sarcasm doesn't carry well in written text and thus is not conveyed as the poster had intended.
Whooops, my bad.
Old 11-22-2003, 06:34 PM   #57
jeni
is stuck on altair-4

Quote:

I thought it was common knowlege that sarcasm doesn't carry well in written text and thus is not conveyed as the poster had intended.
Whooops, my bad.
i didn't see anyone else misunderstand it.

if my comment were to be taken seriously, the resulting action would be pretty ridiculous, which makes my comment ridiculous. since i'm not a ridiculous person, it can pretty much be assumed that i was joking.

Last edited by jeni; 11-22-2003 at 06:37 PM.
Old 11-22-2003, 07:59 PM   #58
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Wolf, you may be right...this person DOES sound awfully familiar...too familiar.

Quote:
And also? Thanks for attempting to placate me through patronage.
Patronage? Hardly. Ask around...I don't patronize anybody here...I don't need to.

Quote:
As we have all proven, you never know who is lurking.
True. You just never know.

Quote:
For all you know, you have just provided a headcase with the name of her school.
Anything's possible. However:

--We don't know this girl's name for certain...definitely not her full name.
--We don't know if this is the school in question.
--Anyone could have gotten the same information I did.

You could argue that I made it easier for a headcase, but then you have to go back to the first two points above.

Quote:
A sick person would go to the trouble of finding out her information while a potentially sick person would have it at a glance, considering how a previous post has it all wrapped up with a bow.
So, are you trying to say that I'm a sick person for finding the information?

See above regarding the latter part of this quote.

Quote:
Also, I find that what you have done is akin to posting information about a pre-teen.
Quote:
No, I don't "think" it's wrong...It IS wrong.
You qualified your statement in the first quote, which is good, but didn't do so in the second quote...not good.

The law you posted does not seem to apply to this situation, as I have not posted anything sexual about her, nor have I posted her home information. If you want to consult a lawyer or calls the cops on me, be my guest.

Quote:
As for that being annoying (someone posting thoughts as fact), that's just plain silly and you know it.
We just had a big blow up involving two of our regulars in another thread, regarding posting opinion as fact. Depending on the situation, I'd say it can be rather trivial. I think we all do it on occasion.

However, as a whole, I think people should definitely avoid doing such a thing, for it cause a great deal of problems, from misunderstandings up to slander and libel. I merely advised you that it's not a good thing to do around here. Whether you choose to heed my advice or not is up to you.

Quote:
You sound well-read. Why can you not see a problem with this?
Because as a whole, I don't think it was necessarily a problem.

Quote:
One last thing: is there not an option in the user CP that would disallow her posts to be part of your viewing/posting pleasures? If not, I am sure a moderator can make that possible.
There is an ignore option on Cellar...I personally don't use b/c I don't find it useful to block posts from certain people.

So, let's review: A Dwellar remarked that he would like to notify said person's school to have our site filtered from their internet. Putting 2 and 2 together, I found what could be the school, but as I mentioned, no guarantees. After giving it some thought, I removed the information, but it still exists in a post by FNF and in a thread created by Juju. Whether they wish to have it removed from their posts/threads is up to them and/or Undertoad. Were any laws broken? It doesn't look like it. Was it wrong? That's a judgment call to be made by each individual.

As an aside, I hope I AM wrong in suspecting that you are someone else posting under another user ID.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2003, 08:05 PM   #59
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Hayward,

Why don't you tell us a little about yourself, so we know who we have protecting us. You are coming on very strong. I understood Jeni's sarcasm. You're right, sarcasm doesn't carry as well in written form, but the ridiculous nature of the suggestion makes it pretty obvious......if you take the time to think about it. Seems like you're tryin to pick a fight, and given the oddity of these past two weeks and the multiple login abuse, we begin to wonder who you REALLY are?

Im gonna have to ask you to scan your drivers license and post it in this thread.

do you think she'll detect THAT sarcasm?
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2003, 08:10 PM   #60
jeni
is stuck on altair-4

:p