The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Old 07-05-2012, 12:02 PM   #1
chrisinhouston
Professor

New video and audio technology sometimes really sucks!

We bought a new TV last year and are still figuring out how to use it! It's a big 55" LG LED TV and it took me awhile to figure out how to get the other things in our Entertainment system hooked up, the BluRay DVD, Sirius radio, HD radio, my older style receiver and CD changer. I have some really good speakers and when we watch DVDs the whole house shakes!

So we decided to try out some of the movie channels that stream over the internet which the TV is wired to. Unfortunately the new TVs only have a digital optical sound output port and my old Nakamichi receiver can only take analog RCA plug inputs.

So I bought a converter only to find out that it won't work with Digital Dolby sound or what is know as DTS. You get a loud noise that is like fingernails on a chalk board combined with some loud thumping! Turns out we will probably have to upgrade the receiver which will cost a few hundred bucks. Oh well at least the converter was just $26 so I'm not out much.

We also find that today's DVD's are made so crappy now that sometimes they work and sometimes they lock up or pixelize. Either that or our 2 year old LG BluRay is on the fritz! We never had that with the older technology.
chrisinhouston is offline   Reply With Quote