The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 11-16-2009, 02:01 PM   #46
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

I dunno. I was just making the case that even people with 'real' depression might find a pet useful.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 02:02 PM   #47
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

I agree, 100%. Unless they are mean to their pet in which case I'll send Shaw over to their house. She's my new enforcer.
Old 11-16-2009, 02:02 PM   #48
Jaydaan
Knight of the Oval-Shaped Conference Table

Seeing others bitch and moan and pull attitude does NOT help me when I am stressed.. I am sure its not helping here either.

I will not use the word depressed, because I find it overused, and many times has a huge stigma attached.

You had a bad day, or week... your mind and body started to deal with it, by crying and causing a reaction even you ( most times we do not see our own symptoms) could see.
I had a week like that last spring. I lost my mind, crying, and I cut my hair. BTW that was BIG for me, BUT it was the one thing I could control.
My suggestion is try finding one thing you CAN control each day and do that, also if the tears come, let them... they help.
Getting an animal is great, however if can cause MORE stress without trying to... what if you can't pay for food/vet, what if its a psycho kitty/dog? etc... It is a huge undertaking and one you should consider when you are feeling more like yourself. In the mean time, maybe volunteer at a shelter (with the healthy critters at least at first!!) and most definitely at a no kill place.
Perhaps join a gym, or take a a long walk (find a senior/sick person that has a dog that needs a walk and talk to it as you walk) Exercise seemed to help me, and I am not talking 2-4 hours, I am talking a 20 min walk.. something I could control and quite honestly NOT fail at. I have 2 feet and a heart beat, walking is something I can do

It is good that you put all your knives and pills away HOWEVER!!!!! it bothers me that you even had to mention that. Is there anyone in your circle of friends and family that you can have a heart to heart with? If not, is there anyone here, hell.... PM me I will chat with you. This is a huge warning to me that this could be more that just stress.... and most likely has been building for a while. These feelings are more often thought by people, then most people want to admit, it does NOT mean you are going to self harm or commit suicide, it means you want an easy way out for the issues at hand. The fact that you put them in a closet means you do not want to take an easy way out, and DO want to find the cause, fix it, and move on. GOOD FOR YOU!

I am very serious, PM me if you would like to, talk on here, talk to a friend, talk to a dog/plant/couch whatever... and if you feel you can not do it with those talks, then maybe find a counselor, a Dr, a therapist or someone who has training for more of your specific stressors.
Jaydaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 02:03 PM   #49
Cicero
Looking forward to open mic night.

You are quite right Dana. Which is why we have this:
http://www.iaadp.org/psd_tasks.html
Old 11-16-2009, 02:09 PM   #50
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Cic that is remarkable. I had no idea that they used dogs for that.
Old 12-06-2009, 11:58 PM   #51
toranokaze
I'm still a jerk

I wanted to reply earlier but I did not find the strength to respond, or at lest in full. It is not easy to look at the darkest times of your life. But one mustn't let the darkness consume oneself.

Jaydaan- I am seeing someone, and I have people, friends family ect. I just didn't want to be that crying call in the middle of the night. Or at lest that night.

As for the pet debate I had a pet, Fred, he was a succulent and died at the end of summer. And where I'm living right now I can not have many pets of the animal kind.

It is still a fight to get up every day but I am happy sometimes. The holidays or at lest Thanksgiving , helped.

If this is clinical depression, it must last for six months (DYSM IV) , so I can be sad or even depressed for some time before it is defined as a mental disorder.

Shawnee123 - I don't know if what I felt was unreleasable given my circumstances or not. Nor do I know if what I'm feeling right now is acceptable or not, maybe this is what I'm supposed to feel like or perhaps this is a larger existential problem that I must deal with. I'm not going to go down that path of darkness, but when I started this tread I was sure looking at it. On two random notes, one your name are you a member of the Shanwee Nation or is there another meaning to your name. And two the use of feminine pronouns when in reference to me was it just a guess or do I come off feminine in my postings?

Cicero , classic -I don't know where I fall or should fall on the range of mental wellness, but I just want to be clear that was really hurting that day and this isn't some kind of attention whoring thing

Pico and ME- I'm trying but usually fail at a good balanced diet.

Sorry if my tone is harsh I don't mean to be, but writing does lack inflection which I would use to blunt my words. (this is one of those stream on conciseness posts)

And another thing FINALS SUCK .

It is the ignorance of ignorance that lead to the death of knowledge

The Virgin Mary does not weep for her son, for he is in paradise. She weeps for the world , for we are in suffering.
toranokaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 12:19 AM   #52
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
If this is clinical depression, it must last for six months (DYSM IV) , so I can be sad or even depressed for some time before it is defined as a mental disorder.
Remember, you don't have to wait for an official diagnosis to know you're feeling bad, and start trying to do something about it.

"Stream on conciseness", or stream of consciousness?
Either way, it sounds like you've got a handle on it, and finding a way to cope. Good for you. Keep on fighting, you're worth it.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:38 AM   #53
toranokaze
I'm still a jerk

Thanks

The Virgin Mary does not weep for her son, for he is in paradise. She weeps for the world , for we are in suffering.
Old 12-07-2009, 01:09 AM   #54
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

I can second the dog idea.

My dogs literally saved my life a few years ago, after my first suicide attempt and then my second. On the same day.

If not for them, I would not be here now.

They are great to talk to, ask little in return and petting an animal has been proven to be therapeutic. That's why there are therapy dogs. Maybe therapy cats. Some people need something to kick.

I vote dog.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:47 AM   #55
toranokaze
I'm still a jerk

If might work if I could have a dog,

Old 12-07-2009, 09:05 AM   #56
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

Can you get a kitten? I know the consensus here is that cats dont really help, but a kitten is a totally different story.

Tora, the last time I was in a depressive slump, I started buying books on Zen/Buddhist philosphy....it takes a while to soak in, but eventually they become very useful in guiding your thinking to something less destructive. I also bought The Feeling Good Book by Dr. David Burns.

But really, START EATING REGULAR BALANCED MEALS! Lots of lean protein with fruits and veggies. Your brain chemistry depends on it.
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 09:31 AM   #57
SamIam

Exercise, a proper diet, getting out into the sun at least 25 minutes a day - these all help. I have suffered from severe depression all my life, and believe me, I feel your pain. Yes, a kitten will help and I have discovered that my full grown cats help as well. If nothing else they give you something to be responsible for, so that you hesistate before taking that oh-so-final action, If your depression has been going on for a while, please go see a doctor. There is nothing wrong with taking anti-depressants. I have been on several and am currently taking strattera

Your depression may see eternal now, but the one thing in life we can expect is change. Sooner or later the evil mood is going to lift at least a little - maybe a lot. When I was a sophmore in college, I became terribly depressed over the end of a love afair. The university had a gigantic library with 3 sub basements. I spent the entire winter in the deepest basement where all the ancient periodicals were stored. I read the stores and pretended that I lived in 1910. I do not reccomend the sub-basenebt of a library for the clinically depressed, but one day I walked out of there and spring had arrived and the sun was shining. The depression had run its course and I felt normal again.

Please, please don't choose a permanent solution to temporary problem. I have so been through the wringer with the depression. If you need advice or just a friendly person to let it all out to, please PM me. - Sam
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 09:47 AM   #58
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by toranokaze View Post
snip~
As for the pet debate I had a pet, Fred, he was a succulent and died at the end of summer. And where I'm living right now I can not have many pets of the animal kind. ~snip
Old 12-17-2009, 05:53 PM   #59
toranokaze
I'm still a jerk

I am out off these dark woods now, thanks to my friends, both dwellers and offline people, my counselor, and God.
I have seen that paths I can take and I will never walk this one again.
Again thanks for the support.
~toranokaze BS

Last edited by toranokaze; 12-17-2009 at 06:45 PM.
Old 12-17-2009, 06:23 PM   #60
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

God that is great news. I wish you the best on your new path to freedom. Cheers.