The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 12-25-2018, 09:32 PM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Dec 26th, 2018 : Coyote Boulevard

People in Washington (the lovely state, not the den of iniquity) apparently like Coyotes. I suppose it could be empathy from
watching Wile E. get screwed by ACME Inc so many times. Or possibly because they look like dogs, man’s best friend, the worlds
best pet. Way better than the Devils spawn cats.
...but I digress.

Interstate 90, near Snoqualmie Pass in central Washington, which shuttles traffic through the Cascade Mountains can be
a bumpy and dicey ride. The route is often hazardous and slippery with ice and snow, an average of around 330 inches a year.
Collisions are too often common.
Quote:
“This coyote safely crossed the highway,” the Washington State DOT tweeted, “avoiding traffic, anvils, ACME rockets & roadrunners!” In fact, the animal didn’t have to dodge speeding cars and trucks. In the video tweeted out by the DOT, there’s no trace of asphalt or cars—just dirt, trees, and mountains, and the edge of a bridge on the far right of the frame.
The coyote was the first confirmed user of the state’s newest and largest wildlife bridge, which caters to furry quadrupeds, instead of the quad-wheeled bipeds who cross their paths.

Human built roads cut through animal territory and trails they’ve use forever. Dirt roads weren’t a problem but paving produced
increased speeds, bent cars, and dead critters. As roads became wider and faster it reached a point where it’s suicide to try.
PA got 3300 requests for permits to eat roadkill deer this year, but that’s a drop in the bucket compared to the roadkill people
just take or Mother Nature recycles. Then there's critters who get run over eating critters that got run over.

Quote:
That’s where animal infrastructure comes in. But how, exactly, to get animals to buy in is a puzzle. Some animals prefer open-air crossings, while others are comfortable with tunnels, and preferences vary within a species. Researchers studying grizzlies in Banff National Park, for instance, found that bachelor bears were good to amble through culverts under roads, while families were more likely to use an overpass.

Quote:
This part of Washington is expanding its highway system—and the number of potential animal crossings—as surrounding areas attract new human residents. The $6 million bridge, which arches 33 feet above the road, is 66 feet wide, and flanked by fencing to dampen noise from cars below. The DOT reports that there are several other overpasses planned or in the works, and that they will also be planted with trees and shrubs to emulate the natural environments on either side. That’s good news for the coyotes, and any other animals that have somewhere to be or just want to stroll safely.
link
Old 12-26-2018, 11:25 AM   #2
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

I've seen these things before.

Good, if expen$ive, idea.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 11:25 AM   #3
blueboy56
Master Locutor

Smile

Also, it make it safer to escape the zombies chasing you because you won't have to dodge traffic.
blueboy56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 11:28 AM   #4
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

now they just need to move all the DEER CROSSING signs over to the bridge, and deer will stop getting hit by cars.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 11:32 AM   #5
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Simple as that.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 12-26-2018, 12:01 PM   #6
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Everything ACME supplied to Wile E. Coyote...

Old 12-26-2018, 12:32 PM   #7
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

The bow-and-coyote must not have been from ACME. It's the funniest scene of all of them for me, when he tries to shoot himself at the roadrunner with that bow.

Old 12-26-2018, 12:34 PM   #8
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

The rubber band was awfully funneh, too.

Old 12-26-2018, 08:33 PM   #9
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Been through those tunnels many times, never over though - - not that wild.

In Sequim, there are looooong stretches of highway with elk-deterrent fencing. It goes right up the ramps and down again.
Old 12-26-2018, 09:42 PM   #10
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

From my childhood I believed that I would be seeing an awful lot more 10,000 lb weights when I grew up.

Also that quicksand would be a regular obstacle to be dealt with*

*that is an Adam Carolla-ism to be honest
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 09:42 AM   #11
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Is that you, Wile E?
Old 12-27-2018, 12:57 PM   #12
Flint
Snowflake

We all thought quicksand was going to be a major threat/concern.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 11:38 AM   #13
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
People in Washington (the lovely state, not the den of iniquity) apparently like Coyotes.
I haven't seen any in the den itself, but I am pretty sure I saw one in northern Virginia. We do have foxes in the den, though, and I do like them.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 12:52 PM   #14
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Yes, foxes seem to be taking over the cities, plenty of food and most people aren't terrified of them. Probably because their manner is more feline than canine.
Old 12-29-2018, 12:54 PM   #15
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Plus, we also have rabbits, and those with gardens especially appreciate the foxes.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote