The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Food and Drink

Food and Drink Essential to sustain life; near the top of the hierarchy of needs

Old 07-25-2004, 02:38 AM   #1
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Coffee: Good or Evil?

Does everyone here drink coffee? Maybe just 1 or 2 cups in the morning?
What happens if you don't have your coffee? Do things "get ugly"?

I just started drinking coffee regularly about 3 months ago and the benefits are impressive. At the same time, now I seem to be addicted and if I don't have a cup every day I get a massive headache.

What if Kerry or Bush were to somehow manipulate the coffee supply as leverage for their campaigns? That would start an insurrection, dont you think?

The smarter of the two might hijack the coffee supply and hold us all hostage in return for voting for them. If the candidate that controls the supply gets the winning votes, he releases the blockage and people get the coffee again. Everyone is happy and the world is back to normal again. He's a hero and gains support from even his enemys.

If he doesnt get the votes, he simply continues the embargo until society falls into crisis, blames the other candidate and intitiates impeachment. Next election, he wins in a landslide.

The oil supply is nice to manipulate for political advantage, but maybe........it's the coffee that is the key to success here?

(hits the "do not subscribe" option)

Last edited by slang; 07-25-2004 at 06:33 AM.
slang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 05:29 AM   #2
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Apparently, whilst coffee has the effect of making one more alert, it does so at the expense of short term memory ( leading to the old "word on the tip of the tongue" situ)......it basically shuts down certain pathways in the brain ( temporarily) allowing the brain to focus more completely on being alert...

Coffee also is a great way to kill a headache. Studies have shown that a cup of coffee works on a headache faster than ibuprofen (although the relief only lasts about an hour so for someone with a really bad headache it's worth doing both)

If you find you are getting addicted to coffee, dont worry. Any caffeine containing drink will sort out those witthdrawal symptoms *smiles* Green tea is a good one because it contains just enough caffeine to stave off withdrawals but not enough to perpetuate the addiction.

I used to drink so much coffee it was a joke....I mean I would get through 6 or 7 cups of coffee in a day easily often more....Now I have maybe 2 or 3..I have replaced half of them with green tea or hot chocolate
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 08:16 AM   #3
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC
.......Green tea is a good one because it contains just enough caffeine to stave off withdrawals but not enough to perpetuate the addiction.....
Yes, I hear it also has some health benefits as well.
Old 07-25-2004, 09:33 AM   #4
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Apparently, whilst coffee has the effect of making one more alert, it does so at the expense of short term memory ( leading to the old "word on the tip of the tongue" situ)......it basically shuts down certain pathways in the brain ( temporarily) allowing the brain to focus more completely on being alert...

Coffee also is a great way to kill a headache. Studies have shown that a cup of coffee works on a headache faster than ibuprofen (although the relief only lasts about an hour so for someone with a really bad headache it's worth doing both)
Coffee might also help fight diabetes.

I drink 1 to 2 liters of tea a day at work. I have my own tea bags and loose teas, including herbs and flowers like jasmine, rose hips, lavender, etc. This gets me off the hook for having to make a pot of coffee by taking almost the last cup from the pot, although we have people here who will leave a thin film of coffee at the bottom of a pot and walk away.

I drink maybe 2 or 3 cups of coffee a year. Tea has many benefits, but I don't know if it affects diabetes.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 09:44 AM   #5
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

[quote=richlevy]....although we have people here who will leave a thin film of coffee at the bottom of a pot and walk away.[quote=richlevy]

I am totally against violence and senseless death. Those people should be shot.
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 09:54 AM   #6
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Coffee is disgusting and foul. There are so many better ways to get caffeine. About the only way I can drink coffee is like the Beastie Boys, "I like my sugar with coffee and cream."
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 09:57 AM   #7
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble
Coffee is disgusting and foul. There are so many better ways to get caffeine. About the only way I can drink coffee is like the Beastie Boys, "I like my sugar with coffee and cream."

Like what? Chocolate? too fattening. Tea? too weak. Soda's? too burpee
Old 07-25-2004, 09:59 AM   #8
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Well, there's always Vivarin.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 10:00 AM   #9
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

true
Old 07-25-2004, 10:25 AM   #10
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Ah, the water of life ...

I drink two mugs of coffee before leaving for work, and typically up to three or four more during a shift. I go back and forth regarding how persnickety I am over making the coffee ... I'm currently on a "you have to grind your own beans" kick, although I can as easily decide that it's much easier just spooning it out of a can.

I don't experience any problems while having it, nor do I get any notable withdrawal symptoms when I don't. And I can go right to sleep when I get home if I want.

I pretty much don't drink soda currently, having forsaken Coke and Dr. Pepper for the crisp refreshment of flavored seltzer products because I don't want the sugar, but like the fizzy.

I also make tea (proper tea, in a teapot with leaves) on occasion, and when I want to have it at work have an industrial thermos flask to transport it in.

Slang, the headache you're experiencing is probably the one you usually get when you don't kill people who really need it.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 10:26 AM   #11
jinx
Come on, cat.

Quote:
Green tea is a good one because it contains just enough caffeine to stave off withdrawals but not enough to perpetuate the addiction.
Unfortunately green tea leaves accumulate fluoride from environmental pollution - more so than any other edible plant. :thumbsdow

Link about green tea/fluoride/thyroid damage
Another one

I stopped drinking coffee for a few years. Prior to having children though, it was one of my 4 food groups. Cigarettes were another... I've started drinking it again, but rarely caffienated, and usually in the evening.
Old 07-25-2004, 10:30 AM   #12
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

[quote=wolf]
I also make tea (proper tea, in a teapot with leaves) on occasion, and when I want to have it at work have an industrial thermos flask to transport it in.

Read my leaves!
Old 07-25-2004, 10:45 AM   #13
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I don't do leaves ... I have a friend that does, though. I read tarot and runes, mostly.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

Old 07-25-2004, 10:47 AM   #14
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

OK-Tarot
Old 07-25-2004, 10:54 AM   #15
wolf
lobber of scimitars

PM me with your email address and your questions.