The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 02-26-2006, 03:46 PM   #1
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

I'm filthy

i spoke with a woman I was best friends with in high school today. I was her bosom buddy (and, she was mine) from '79-'82 and then we lost contact (marriages, children, rehab, children, divorces, marriages, rehab, etc.) but I spoke with her via the phone for about 45 minutes and we got along great. She lives about 30 min. from me. She wants to have brunch on thursday. i don't want to but I pretended that I did. I feel very sad now. I feel--weird.

plus? I'm nearly 42. And the Professor called today. He doesn't love me anymore. Which I knew. A weird, sad day.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum

Last edited by Trilby; 02-26-2006 at 03:50 PM.
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 04:04 PM   #2
marichiko

Is this the MARRIED professor? If so, he's a jerk with a bad habit of infidelity. No great loss. One of these days you'll understand that you deserve better, Bri.

Why don't you want to meet up with your friend? Just not interested or do you think she'll end up judging you somehow?
Old 02-26-2006, 04:37 PM   #3
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

This may sound strange but give it a thought.

The two of you have some history even if it was a long time ago. Did she sound sincere on the phone? She must have if you two made plans for this.

Since it's been so long since you have had time to visit you may hit it off again and be great friends or this might be a big yawn fest. Who knows?

If you meet and find that you would like to hang out again, there's time for that in the future. What you are trying to do now is just test it out to see for certain.

Make it a point to set something up in that area during or directly after you are supposed to meet with your friend. Nowdays with the way that people in general cant keep an appointment to save their asses this will allow you to have a good time doing something completely different if she cancels or no-shows on you.

If you show up at the given time and place and things dont go well, no bigge, you have something infinitely more interesting and fun to all set up. If for some reason she's rude, not giving you the attention that you deserve for making that time for her, asking you for money, or any other unpleasant possibility....disappear. Go do that thing that you **really** wanted to do in the first place.

If you both end up having a good time and spend hours and hours and hours catching up and reliving old times just pass on the plan B.

Either way you are covered.

Just remembered another thing. If someone cancels or no-shows you once....statistically speaking they will again ( and again and again and again ). If she no-shows you and still wants to set something up again....have her send you $20 in the mail that the two of you will spend on lunch when she shows up on the next brunch.

Cancel on Slang one time....no biggie....try to set up another deal, there is a deposit required.

and.....have that $20 ready to send if you no-show her....you dirty girl!

Last edited by slang; 02-26-2006 at 04:50 PM.
slang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 06:06 PM   #4
Rock Steady
Day Tripper

I love when you talk dirty to me Brianna. So, were you in your PJs on the phone all day? So much for course work, HA!

Hey, do the reunion thing. It'll be good.
Old 02-26-2006, 09:39 PM   #5
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by slang
Cancel on Slang one time....no biggie....try to set up another deal, there is a deposit required.
I guess after the first 100 women get a look at you and run away it's a good idea to get a system. You can even rack up a profit.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 10:28 PM   #6
Cerdded
Layperson

You should definitely give it a chance. Can't lose too much, and everyone should take advantage of these moments in life. Go for it girl

Hi Mari,been a while.
Old 02-26-2006, 10:49 PM   #7
marichiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerdded

Hi Mari,been a while.
OOOOOH! Are you who I think you are?

YAY! You ARE! Welcome, my Welsh friend! How perfect that I get to welcome you to the Cellar for my 3,000th post! (I tend to talk alot )

Last edited by marichiko; 02-26-2006 at 11:00 PM.
Old 02-27-2006, 10:03 AM   #8
Cerdded
Layperson

Thumbs up

How are the Navajo, and your peach brandy? Congratulations on your 3000th. post.
D'you get another book?
Johnny
Old 02-27-2006, 01:46 PM   #9
marichiko

As far as I know, Undertoad doesn't award books, although Social Scrutiny did send me Ian's Guide to Britain which was one of the funniest things I've read in a while.

I actually stopped visiting the site so much when you also vanished off the radar screen there. Are you back on Social Mutiny, as well?

There's a big batch of peach brandy getting ready to go in the basement, and my trusty band of Navajo freedom fighters are set to take on either al Quaeda of Homeland Security - whoever invades first!
Old 02-27-2006, 06:02 PM   #10
Cerdded
Layperson

Yeah! I got the book too. Hilarious.
My PC crashed.Wiped clean. I remembered some adds' & bookmarks. But not many,so I wandered the Cyber World, sad & lost,looking for--- I dunno.
Didn't find it.
Came here, & was called 'self-centred'. Is that another word for intelligent?
Anyway, good to see you & all your little friends.
The Cellar!. I like that.
Old 02-27-2006, 06:43 PM   #11
marichiko

We play hard ball here in the Cellar. You have to have a tough hide. We also just got through with an on-slaught of trolls, so people are wary of newcomers. Don't worry, you'll fit right in if you feel like it, my friend! Good to have you aboard!

(sorry for hi-jacking your thread, Bri, but Cerdded is beyond cool! You'll all like him once you get to know him! )
Old 02-27-2006, 08:22 PM   #12
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by marichiko
snip
(sorry for hi-jacking your thread, Bri, but Cerdded is beyond cool! You'll all like him once you get to know him! )
Is he so cool you could keep a side of beef in him for a month?
Old 02-27-2006, 11:36 PM   #13
marichiko

Heh! He's Welsh! I once posted a joke he told on another site under the "I need humor" thread. I'll re-post it again as the best introduction I can give him.

Once upon a time the King of England was marching through the Welsh countryside with his soldiers. Suddenly, the King heard a voice calling out from a nearby thicket.

"One Welshman is worth two Englishmen!"

The King snorted and sent two of his best soldiers into the thicket.

A few minutes later the same voice called out, "One Welshman is worth TEN Englishmen!"

Feeling slightly annoyed, the king ordered 10 of his best men into the thicket.

A little later the voice taunted, "One Welshman is worth ONE HUNDRED Englishmen!"

Very angry by now, the King ordered 100 of his finest into the thicket.

Some time later, a single English soldier, dying of his wounds, crawled out of the thicket and gasped, "Your Majesty! Its a trap! They're TWO of them in there!"

The Cellar is honored!

Last edited by marichiko; 02-28-2006 at 01:28 PM.
Old 02-28-2006, 01:25 PM   #14
Cyclefrance
Pump my ride!

I thought I heard somebody typing in a Welsh accent...
Old 02-28-2006, 02:16 PM   #15
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Brianna:

I was the caller, the other day (email, actually) and I had hoped to renew a friendship of my school days. I sent a tentative note to him and he responded very enthusiastically. I am so glad to have gotten a favorable reaction. There has been a *lot* of water under the bridge in the intervening decades. I was very good friends with this person and I am looking forward eagerly to some serious catching up. I can't imagine it will be doable in one exchange.