The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Cellar-related > Cellar Meta

Cellar Meta Users, threads, etiquette, posting, usage, forums, why this place matters or doesn't

Old 01-18-2015, 02:37 PM   #16
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

I'm kickin'.

I'm not sure I'd say I'm kickin' it.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 06:50 PM   #17
monster
I hear them call the tide

Sleeeeeve!
Old 01-20-2015, 04:39 PM   #18
gvidas
Hoodoo Guru

On the IOTD front, what about some kind of a slightly-more-formal-than-anarchy procedure for queuing things? Right now it's sort of a first-come-first-serve-but-only-one-per-day jumble.

For example, I found this amazing set of photos today: http://www.theatlantic.com/photo/201...stival/384660/

It's another weird spanish festival where they throw a specific vegetable at people, except instead of tomatoes it's turnips.

But I'm lacking the energy to make it all nice and IOTD-y. And there's already one posted today. And it's too early to post one for tomorrow. etc.

Maybe what I'm proposing is that there be an IOTD editor, to whom we could submit suggestions.
gvidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 04:54 PM   #19
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Trouble is, the actual job of editor is no fun! It still takes time to put everything together and get it posted. Nobody wants that job... but what if it was easy to submit entries into the queue and they were voted on and auto-posted?
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 06:16 PM   #20
gvidas
Hoodoo Guru

"voted on and auto posted" sounds like a lot of backend work from what little I know about vbulletin.

Here's a lazy option:

Create a semi-private subforum, "IOTD submissions." People post the thread all ready to go, sans date. IOTD Editor / One Of Our Current Benevolent Overlords edits the title and moves it into the proper IOTD on a semi-daily basis, or posts a note about why it isn't being promoted to full IOTD. This would keep some of the mystique of the grand reveal, and give regular (daily) intervals to the new content.

I guess the other approach is just accepting that "IOTD" is an outdated acronym and it's more like "Image Of The Whenever," and skip the whole try-to-do-it-daily mess.
Old 01-20-2015, 06:36 PM   #21
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

It's good, except it means not just anybody can nominate an IOTD...

My thinking was to make it half outside of vBulletin:

Part 1, a secure file uploader where people could send pics;

Part 2, a viewer/voter/editor, where the IOTD few could write/edit/improve the write-ups, and generally pick which one is going to be next;

Part 3, the auto-poster.

But, you know... people generally don't send pics when they have suggestions... they send links.

Hmmmm

Hmmmmmm
Old 01-20-2015, 06:44 PM   #22
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

#2 sounds like it requires multi-party coordination and cooperation.
Old 01-20-2015, 07:24 PM   #23
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

this is in hopes of attracting more members?

haven't sites like imgur and tumblr pretty much doomed any IOtD hook?

We could go on safari again.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 09:38 PM   #24
gvidas
Hoodoo Guru

The value-added of IOTD has always been putting together the narrative and presenting it well. There are other sites (the atlantic's In Focus, NYT's Lens blog, etc) that are mostly just about beautiful pictures around a theme, but don't emphasize the story. imgur/tumblr/etc tend to be single images isolated from any context.

It's more information than the pared-down-for-tumblr paradigm, and usually fewer images than the we're-pro-journalists paradigm. Goldilocks and all that.

I don't see the point as being explicitly to bring in new members. If it can be set up to auto-push content to a facebook account, that's probably savvy. But personally the raisin-d-eatin'-it is simply that IOTD fills a niche that I'm interested in.
Old 01-20-2015, 10:13 PM   #25
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I use image search in Chrome quite often to find information on an interesting picture. Google can usually find that picture on the web but it gives me hundreds(no exaggeration) of sites, mostly tumblr or pinterest, with the same picture but not one scrap of information. Why are there hundreds of sites doing this?
Old 01-21-2015, 05:40 AM   #26
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Because picture harvesting without the information can be automated?

Sent by thought transference
Old 01-21-2015, 12:05 PM   #27
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

There is something interesting about having only one image for each day. If one were going to follow that, in an RSS feed, or email, in Facebook, it would guarantee a low volume of incoming stuff for that feed. Sometimes you only want every drop the firehose can give you; other times, you want low noise high quality.

Writing it and sort of being on the hook for it every single day - that's trouble.
Old 01-21-2015, 08:47 PM   #28
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

I can see that. But one image/day is interesting, I agree. It's something I've valued in the Cellar.

Should we ask members to post travel blogs? Not the same, but I really really miss ZenGum's travel threads, and Sundae's. Not everyone can write and post as they do/did, but maybe there's potential.
Old 01-22-2015, 04:48 AM   #29
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

That makes me feel very special, thank you.
I promise wholeheartedly that if I ever shake off this malaise (and am in funds) I will write again for your pleasure.

Carruthers, who is immeasurably good to me IRL, set me off on a journey of self rediscovery by mentioning previous posts of mine. It's strangely comforting to find the old me here. Like a reload or a backup or something (stop me if I get too technical)