The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 10-18-2014, 07:26 PM   #2866
Crimson Ghost
Larger than life and twice as ugly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot View Post
At least there are only three degrees when it comes to burns, imagine if they went up to 11?
Then your drummer bursts into flames?
Crimson Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 02:01 PM   #2867
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

That's ok. Ya can put him out with the bass player's drool.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 11:32 AM   #2868
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Happiness, or lack thereof.

Quote:
“The British do not expect happiness,” claimed English writer Quentin Crisp – and it appears he may have been right.

New research from the University of Warwick has indicated that Britons are genetically programmed to be grumpy.

The British, French and Americans are all predisposed to be grumpier than nations such as Denmark because they possess a “short form” version of the gene which regulates the amount of serotonin – the chemical which controls happiness – within the brain.

The Danes, who regularly top happiness surveys of nations, enjoy a longer form of the gene, while Britons and Americans, despite equally stable economies and governments, possess a shorter version resulting in a miserable attitude.

However, it could be worse: we could be French.

According to professor Andrew Oswald, who led the research looking at 131 countries, only the French had a shorter form of the gene.

Professor Oswald, who studies applied economics and quantitative social science, claimed many nations’ citizens would still be unhappy were they earning a fortune, living to a ripe old age and basking in the sunshine daily.

“Among the nations we studied, Denmark and the Netherlands appeared to have the lowest percentage of people with the short version of the serotonin gene,” he said to The Times.

He also claimed American individuals descended from Danish or Dutch immigrants were happier as a result of inheriting the longer gene.

The research, for the Economic and Social Research Council’s Festival of Social Sciences, found that genetics was the most important factor – but not the only one.

Happiness leagues generally use indicators such as educational standards, wealth, health, economic progress and job satisfaction alongside the weather, war and political stability.
The Independent.

Now, my 4 x Great Grandfather (b 1769) was a Dane, but it seems that his happiness gene didn't get as far as me, more's the pity.

On the other hand, I am a 16 stone (224lb) Viking man mountain.

The last line may contain facts which would struggle to comply with the legal definition of 'facts'.
Old 11-03-2014, 12:17 PM   #2869
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Australian man 'taxis' aircraft to outback pub

Quote:
Locals in outback Australia salute a man who drove his light aircraft through town and stopped outside the pub for a drink

Quote:
Police in Australia plan to charge a man who drove his aircraft down the main street of an outback mining town and parked it at the local pub.

The 37-year-old drew laughs and praise from locals of Newman, Western Australia after he taxied his Beechcraft two seater prop-driven aircraft from one side of town to the other at 2.30pm before coming to a stop outside the Newman Hotel’s Purple Pub, a popular local pub. He then apparently went inside for a drink.

Police said the man’s behaviour was “pretty stupid” and he will face charges, if an appropriate offence can be found.

"People think it was a bit of a laugh but it was very dangerous and we're not very happy with it," said Mark McKenzie, the local police sergeant.

"Kids were coming home from school. It could have been very ugly. All he needed was one gust of wind ... because without the wings, it's not stable… It was a pretty stupid thing to do.”

The light aircraft did not have wings and reportedly had its propeller running and was being steered by foot pedals. Locals believe the incident, which occurred last Friday, was a prank, possibly for Halloween.

"It's certainly caused a lot of banter and a fair few laughs ... we've no idea where it came from, but it's now parked up in the car park of the pub," witness George Christianson told local media.

"It's definitely been the cause of a lot of chatter."

Police said the man passed a breath test for alcohol and did not cause any traffic accidents or try to avoid arrest.

"I'm confident that he will be charged with something soon," said sergeant McKenzie.

"I would assume there would be an offence under the criminal code that may fit the bill.”
Call me old fashioned, but I was always led to believe that, in these matters, the principle was 'let the punishment fit the crime'.

It appears that they are trying to make the crime fit the punishment. Perhaps they do things the other way around in Oz.

Well, the water goes down the plughole in the opposite direction, maybe that has something to do with it.

Daily Telegraph
Old 11-03-2014, 01:04 PM   #2870
glatt

He just needed to put one of these triangles on there, and he'd be fine.
Name:  ch3_tractor.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  16.2 KB
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 04:05 PM   #2871
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Shaw/IM - DO NOT CLICK THIS LINK!!! You have been warned...

Holy crap, I would totally freak out if
THIS
happened to me.
Old 11-03-2014, 05:18 PM   #2872
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carruthers View Post
Call me old fashioned, but I was always led to believe that, in these matters, the principle was 'let the punishment fit the crime'.

It appears that they are trying to make the crime fit the punishment. Perhaps they do things the other way around in Oz.
Agreed, statements like...
Quote:
"I'm confident that he will be charged with something soon," said sergeant McKenzie.
"I would assume there would be an offence under the criminal code that may fit the bill.”
translate to, he pissed me off so I'm going to find some way to punish him, using my authority.
Old 11-03-2014, 07:06 PM   #2873
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

They'll get him for driving an unsafe vehicle - no safety grill over the propeller blades. Does that Beechcraft have rearview mirrors and brake lights?
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 07:24 PM   #2874
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

No turning indicators/signals. There you go.
Old 11-03-2014, 11:23 PM   #2875
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Don't forget child endangerment.
Quote:
"Kids were coming home from school. It could have been very ugly.
Old 11-04-2014, 12:37 AM   #2876
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

I wonder if his insurance rates will go up?
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 02:32 AM   #2877
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexobon View Post
They'll get him for driving an unsafe vehicle - no safety grill over the propeller blades. Does that Beechcraft have rearview mirrors and brake lights?
Quote:
Originally Posted by orthodoc View Post
No turning indicators/signals. There you go.

But is it a road vehicle as defined in the relevant legislation?

ETA: When he was arrested, surely it would have to be 'on suspicion of (insert offence)...' ?

Yet the good Sergeant said:

Quote:

Last edited by Carruthers; 11-04-2014 at 02:58 AM.
Carruthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 05:45 AM   #2878
Griff
still says videotape

Attached Images

Old 11-05-2014, 12:29 PM   #2879
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Never.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 11-05-2014, 12:32 PM   #2880
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Also, no license plate(s), probably no/wrong/improper registration, missing equipment...