The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 08-14-2014, 03:30 PM   #1
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

August 14th, 2014: Comet Swift-Tuttle.

Quote:
Timelapse photography shows the Swift-Tuttle comet over Kent skies yesterday.

Robert Canis took more than 300 shots between 1AM and 3AM.
Old 08-14-2014, 09:19 PM   #2
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

How do we know that wasn't flashlight on a Quadcopter?
And some of those pixels look suspicious.
Supposed to be 1 to 3 AM but it's daylight.

Seriously Sir, you found a good one, that's cool. And it's not just a lucky snapshot, so nobody can grouse he was just in the right spot at the right time. He put a lot of work into that and the results are quite spectacular.
Old 08-15-2014, 05:19 AM   #3
SPUCK
Professor

300 shots. Must've tired out his finger.
SPUCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 05:31 AM   #4
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Supposed to be 1 to 3 AM but it's daylight.
Much of the UK has had cloudless nights recently and of course we've had the 'Super Moon' as well.
I know next to nothing about photography, so that is supposition on my part, but it's as good a theory as I can come up with.
Old 08-15-2014, 07:52 AM   #5
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Look at the length of the star trails near the horizon. That's a loooong exposure. At least 15 minutes, maybe 30. How did he get 300 long exposure shots between 1-3am?

Maybe just the one long exposure shot of the comet/stars, and stack the others?

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 08:14 AM   #6
glatt

The comet part was a much shorter exposure, or it would be making a long curved trail too, parallel with the star trails. Comets are basically fixed points in the sky like stars, not to be confused with meteors, which are fast.

Edit: And those star trails look about 3 hours long to me.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 10:07 AM   #7
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

I got all excited, until I found out that Swift-Tuttle came through in 1992 and has a 133 year orbit. That's an old pic
Old 08-15-2014, 10:14 AM   #8
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carruthers View Post
I know next to nothing about photography, so that is supposition on my part, but it's as good a theory as I can come up with.
I was kidding, but if you're interested...
During the time the shutter is open, incoming light is accumulating. So a long exposure or a bunch of short ones will add up to bright as day.
Old 08-15-2014, 12:31 PM   #9
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spexxvet View Post
I got all excited, until I found out that Swift-Tuttle came through in 1992 and has a 133 year orbit. That's an old pic
I had to do a bit of digging, but there would seem to be some veracity in this account:

Quote:
Perseid Meteor Shower, As the darkness set in last night, star gazers throughout the world looked up at the sky in the hopes of catching a glimpse the spectacular Perseid meteor shower.

Despite patches of cloud cover and a bright supermoon, the shower provided some stunning views as it lit up the skies with streaks of up to 100 shooting stars per hour.

The annual shower occurs every August and is caused by debris from the huge Swift-Tuttle comet falling into the Earth’s atmosphere.

Matthew Power, a British photographer, was able to capture the first pictures of the Perseid meteor shower which reached a peak early this morning.

Mr Power managed to get a good view of the display at Grafham in Cambridgeshire at about 2.30BST this morning.

‘The conditions weren’t great, but I’m absolutely thrilled I managed to see the meteor shower and get a picture,’ Mr Power said. ‘The moon was still very bright which made it hard.’

Dr Bill Cooke from Nasa’s Meteoroid Environment Office has described Perseids is the undisputed ‘fireball champion’ of meteor showers.

‘We see more fireballs from Swift-Tuttle than any other parent comet,’ he said.

The Perseids, which peak during mid-August, are considered to be the best meteor shower of the year.

With very fast and bright meteors, Perseids frequently leave long ‘wakes’ of light and colour behind them as they streak through the Earth’s atmosphere.

The Perseids are one of the most plentiful showers (50-100 meteors seen per hour) and occurs with warm summer nighttime weather, allowing sky watchers to easily view the shower. Perseids are also known for their fireballs. Fireballs are larger explosions of light and colour that can persist longer

Another image shows a meteor streak over the sky during the Perseid meteor shower at the Maculje archaeological site near Novi Travnik in central Bosnia on August 12, 2014.

Meanwhile Photographer Robert Canis from Kent was up early photographing between the hours of 1am and 4am BST taking 300 photos in a time lapse

The result was an image that showed the comet, with a blue trail which appeared at 2.54am BST with other star trails circling the North Star caused by Earth’s rotation.

For those who missed the display last night, there is a chance to catch it again tonight in Britain, Europe or North America.
http://kpisp.net/perseid-meteor-shower-2.html

There's several more excellent photos here:

Daily Mail
Old 08-15-2014, 12:42 PM   #10
glatt

Ah, a news reporter who doesn't know the difference between a comet and a meteor. Probably an english major.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 02:37 PM   #11
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
I was kidding, but if you're interested...
During the time the shutter is open, incoming light is accumulating. So a long exposure or a bunch of short ones will add up to bright as day.
Here's a ten minute night exposure in Norway, with an overcast sky blocking most of the moonlight.
Old 08-15-2014, 04:49 PM   #12
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

nice picture xoB. I find the shadow of the bridge interesting. I don't think I'd be able to see that otherwise.
Old 08-15-2014, 07:16 PM   #13
Diaphone Jim
Junior Master Dwellar

Is that not a meteor from the Swift-Tuttle Comet?
A time lapse photograph showing the circumpolar star tracks with a brief, bright meteorite, perhaps a fire-ball, passing through.

And the "shadow of the bridge" in the neat picture of the switchbacks.
Uh, where exactly is it?
Diaphone Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 07:20 PM   #14
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Only know it was tagged Norway, but there can't be that many road configurations like that.

After looking at the Norway map a little while, I'd like to retract that statement.

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce; 08-15-2014 at 07:29 PM.
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 11:31 AM   #15
Diaphone Jim
Junior Master Dwellar

Oops.
I didn't mean where the picture was taken, but where in the picture is a "shadow of a bridge."
Diaphone Jim is offline   Reply With Quote