The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 01-04-2009, 01:20 PM   #1
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

New Kitten

I am being open to the possibility of a New Kitten (my sweet old Harry-cat died NY day) and I am thinking of a black one but letting the Universe pick him or her out for me.

Any good ideas for a name?

In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 01:26 PM   #2
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Awww. Sorry to hear bout Harry-cat.

How bout Dougal ?
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 01:34 PM   #3
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Is Dougal a British name? I rather like it!

(thanks----Harry was 13 and had a heart murmur---a thing that increases the chance of stroke. I loved him very much.)
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Old 01-04-2009, 01:37 PM   #4
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Last time we were up for a new kitten I had decided that we didn't need a male, or a tabby. Maurice is, of course, tabby and male and just right.
Won't the name suggest itself when the kitten appears? That's what happens here ...
Old 01-04-2009, 01:39 PM   #5
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by limey View Post
Won't the name suggest itself when the kitten appears? That's what happens here ...
Of course, you are right! I am jumping the gun. But kitten-naming is sooooo FUN!

The possibilities are endless! (and, I'm feeling a bit lonely for Carly. She is so sad and wondering where her mate is. He would groom her every day.)

—James Barrie

Old 01-04-2009, 02:34 PM   #6
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Dylan.
Just so my adored-but-gone cat is reborn.

Otherwise, I like cats with two names.
I call Diz Monkey Trousers quite often, just to make up for it.
I love the cat's name in The Dead Zone - Speedy Tomato and in Hogwarts - Mrs Norris.

Then again, I had fish called Lenin and Stalin when I was studying world powers in the twentieth century. They both died and I won a fish from the fair. He lived for years and years and years (well, one more - four). He was called Ho Chi Minh. I think he survived out of stubborness.

I also had hamsters called Silas and Snape at different times.
Oh and one called Charlie Jackpot (after a character in a Mark Gatiss novel).

And cats called Gabriel and Raphael (brothers - despite being determined not to give any cat of mine a cutesy double-act name).
Diz & Dyl came named for me, thankfully I guess.

Monster, Jinx & DucksNuts had cat naming threads a while back - you might want to check those out.
But I have to say - I envy you so much!
I'd love to have a new Singa to name. Ent gonna happen for so many reasons, but it is a lovely dream!
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 02:42 PM   #7
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

ah...the name Gabriel gives me an idea...how 'bout Ariel? Ariel Snape! or, just Snape./

—James Barrie

Old 01-04-2009, 05:02 PM   #8
jinx
Come on, cat.

The black cat I dissected in HS I named Azrael, after Gargamel's cat on the Smurfs, and the islamic angel of death.
The black cat I found in the barn and brought home I named Spooky. The dogs ate the rest of her littermates and her crazy mom abandoned her.... but she lived to be about 20.

My mom named her last cat Morpheus... called him Morty.

I want new a kitten too... a tortie point that I will name Mark.
Old 01-04-2009, 05:16 PM   #9
Nirvana
Back in 10

What a heart warming story!
Old 01-04-2009, 05:23 PM   #10
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna View Post
I am being open to the possibility of a New Kitten (my sweet old Harry-cat died NY day) and I am thinking of a black one but letting the Universe pick him or her out for me.

Any good ideas for a name?

Barak.
Old 01-04-2009, 05:43 PM   #11
Cloud

hard to name a hypothetical cat. why not wait until the Universe supplies, then fit the name to the beast
Old 01-04-2009, 06:01 PM   #12
fargon
Person who doesn't update the user title

Need PIC'S!!!
Heavily medicated for the good of mankind.
fargon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 06:59 PM   #13
morethanpretty
Thats "Miss Zipper Neck" to you.

I named my kitten Zoonie, zoon supposedly being greek for "creature" or some such. I think its cute.
My parent's cat is officially named Shadow, but it usually just gets called Kitty b/c we took so long to settle on the name. Shadow is really only used for vet visits.
Old 01-04-2009, 07:11 PM   #14
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

tim
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 07:16 PM   #15
Pooka
Your Invisible Rabbit Friend

Pics and a personality description are needed to help.

We had a pair of brothers originally named Meepers and Peepers that the vet erroneously renamed Meepers and Peppers... that were then renamed by Flint Fat Boy and Little B... at the time they were pretty much the same size, but over time Fatty really lived up to his name... he was HUGE... somewhere on here there is a pic of him laying on top of the base drum... and filling the entire surface. I thought of them more as "Carpet Sharks" than cats... they were grey with white bellies and would lurk around waiting to attack me... they were jealous of the pregnant belly. Evil buggers... they now live with our best friend who dotes on them like a loving yet over protective stoner father.

We once upon a time adopted a cat that we lovingly named Squeaky Beak on account of the fact that she sounded more like a baby Terradactyl then a cat. She was seriously emotionally disturbed. She lived with her dead mother for probably a week by the time we came across her. She was in perpetual heat and yowled constantly... she pooped in my laundy, dry cleaning and the baby's room... I proceeded to put her out... don't worry she found a nice home and visits regularly in our backyard.

There will be no more cats for us... fish are much more fun and far more relaxing.
Pooka is offline   Reply With Quote