The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 03-06-2012, 08:37 AM   #1
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Hit and Run--the Continuing Saga

I mentioned earlier that I really didn't think I could take one more thing breaking. Then my furnace "broke."

So I added that to the list.

This morning as I was almost to work, I was driving in the far right lane in front of campus (three lanes each way) and next to the parking lane, where the parking meters are. A lot of people use this area for drop-offs. I drove by, and a dropper offer hits his big old camaro gas pedal and plowed right into rear section of my car, causing extensive damage to the wheel well, the place where there would be door if there were a back door, and the bumper and lights.

He took off, flying around me...I'm squinting to see the license plate but all I got were the first three letters. An employee in maintenance witnessed it and came over, along with some concerned students. None of them got the plate number. However, a few minutes later like 3 separate cars came pulling around waving pieces of paper out their window, showing me they got the plate. How nice was that?

The cop said the plate does indeed match a maroon camaro (this was a newer model one too) and is in a nearby sort of suburb. Odds are they'll get him, but I don't know what good it will do me if he's uninsured which I'm guessing he is. Or doesn't have a license. Or both.

I have a 1000 deductible. I had just raised it as I tried to lower my premiums a bit. Lightning never strikes twice on a girl who is just trying to find her way into work, right? Wrong. First brand new car: totalled after 2 weeks. Replaced with Daisy Head Maisie (or Daisy Mae for short). Daisy should survive, but you never know about frames and stuff.

I'm concentrating on deep breaths and coffee.

Surely, this is the moment when my lifetime bad luck turns the corner, right?
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:44 AM   #2
glatt

That sucks, but it's awesome that so many witnesses came forward. People are good.

The cops will get him, and he can be forced to pay. Even if it means him selling his car to do it.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:47 AM   #3
infinite monkey

Yeah, I wonder how it will all play out. I would like for this time to NOT lose my ass on the deal.

Not my fault, but my hassle.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:49 AM   #4
monster
I hear them call the tide

what a fucking asshole. So sorry infi.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:50 AM   #5
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

That suck, Infi. You deserve better.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:53 AM   #6
infinite monkey

Thanks guys. I'm so bummed.

I did make an appt with my doc...relatives of lawyers here at work are all saying I should "just in case" and I know I have a headache right now and feel a bit stiff, but that could just be from the initial stress.

The people on the street, my cow orkers, my fellow dwellars...all put things like this into perspective: I'm not hurt, I'm cared for, I will live to drive another day.

But honestly I would like to go back home and crawl back into bed. Sigh.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:04 AM   #7
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

I'm just glad you weren't riding your bicycle.

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:11 AM   #8
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite monkey View Post
But honestly I would like to go back home and crawl back into bed. Sigh.
Is there a reason why you can't?
Old 03-06-2012, 09:16 AM   #9
infinite monkey

It's my 'back-up' day and even as to going to the doc the big boss said to try to make it late in the day. they're not real compassionate here.

WE're not busy, all three front line folks are here, the other back-up is here...but they won't say "why don't you just go home, your day sucks already."

I would say that.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:26 AM   #10
glatt

Save all receipts from your doctor visit. You may want them later.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:42 AM   #11
jimhelm
a beautiful fool

also, when it comes to getting paid, keep in mind that your car will now have a blemish on carfax. That will reduce it's trade value. Just having the repairs to the car made is not going to make you whole from that financial aspect. If you have not signed limited tort, sue for an extra $5k to offset your future loss. settle for $3k.

When you go to sell that car, all the carfax reader will see is 'accident involving another auto, rear impact' and they will have to take your word for the severity. You should (I assume you already have) take pictures, and save them. keep the body shop repair order, and make sure the place you take it to is approved by your (or hopefully his) insurance company, and guarantees their work.

I hope the prick gets his license suspended.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:44 AM   #12
jimhelm
a beautiful fool

OH, and these are for Maisy:

feel better!
Old 03-06-2012, 10:04 AM   #13
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Crashing into your car is terrible (I hope you're really ok, just shaken up, not worse), but hit and run is just shitty. Criminal shitty. I'm very sorry to hear about this, take care of yourself.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:11 AM   #14
infinite monkey

Thank guys.

jim--I haven't made any moves yet except to notify my insurance. They asked if I wanted to wait to see what the police say, and I do. Does he have insurance or not? Who knows. But I will tell you I'm not getting screwed this time. I'll get the Tiger on my side and I will be compensated.

I hope I can ask you questions if they arise because being this brave about getting what I deserve and actually STAYING this brave are two separate issues.

I told my mom this last accident knocked the nice clear out of me. She laughed (believe it or not I'm considered pretty nice and lend my self to be easily trod upon) and she said "awwwwwww...she used to be such a kind, forgiving person, then that last accident..."

Old 03-06-2012, 10:24 AM   #15
jimhelm
a beautiful fool

absolutely. i'll PM my cell #. call me anytime.