The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Food and Drink

Food and Drink Essential to sustain life; near the top of the hierarchy of needs

Old 11-02-2010, 12:54 PM   #61
bbro
Insert witty comment here

Exactly - I don't. That's actually my toaster/convection oven. I will be using it tonight to make more rolls!!
bbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:45 AM   #62
bbro

Wow - I have REALLY dropped the ball on this!! I am starting back up again with the cookbooks. I have a lot of macaroni and cheese recipes, but I am always on the hunt for more. I am trying the recipe: http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2...caroni-cheese/ and no, I am not cheating. I have her cookbook. I bought it, then realized everything can be found online....grumble, grumble.

I haven't decided what kind of milk I am going to use. I usually have skim milk in the house, but was thinking of trying with 2% - not whole though. Can't stand the taste of it! I will also be using whole wheat pasta. I like it and I have a whole bunch of it. No reason to buy more!
Old 02-08-2011, 06:39 PM   #63
bbro

I don't have any pictures of the chicken before putting it in the oven, but here are the ingredients for the mac and cheese:

Mac and cheese before baking:

Baked!

Chicken Resting:

Dinner!! Yes, I am aware that I need something green on the plate, but I don't have any salad ingredients, so I went veggie free

Last edited by bbro; 02-08-2011 at 08:33 PM.
Old 02-09-2011, 02:55 AM   #64
roygrimes50
Sibling of the Commonweal

Love your recipe that is something really different ll be trying it tonight, hope it turns out as good as yours. ll keep updating
roygrimes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 11:19 PM   #65
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

there is absolutely nothing wrong with no green on the plate!!! looks damn good!
Old 02-10-2011, 09:41 AM   #66
bbro

Thanks plthijinx! Now that I have a computer at home, I can upload photos while I am eating the food I made! I am trying to think of what to do next. I may be making a cake this weekend, so maybe that. Something sweet instead of dinner.....or both! Depending on what I get up to the night before
Old 02-10-2011, 11:45 AM   #67
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Prior to the SuperBowl I was suddenly taken with a desire to cook.

Not really cook, like having to pay attention to it or anything ... but I hauled the crockpot out of the closet and plugged it in.

About a pound of beef cubes, which I cut up smaller than they plopped out of the package.

Pound of ready to eat baby carrots

five stalks of celery, washed and chopped into little bits

packet of Liptons beefy onion soup mix

1/2 cup or so (didn't measure) of water

bunch of garlic powder and powdered ginger

looked a little dry, so I threw some soy sauce at it

added some slice new potatoes (canned, drained) for the last hour or so.

Plugged it in on high, because my low seems to be broken.

by the end of the game I had a really nice beef stew.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 01:59 PM   #68
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Recently I have been bitten by the urge to bake.
And no, that wasn't just a nifty bit of alliteration - I do mean bake rather than cook.
The staffroom have recently benefited from "healthy" flapjacks, made with honey and banana, and a banana, orange and chocolate loaf. And anyone who pays attention will note the increase of banana in my cooking coincides with my current diet.

I'll have to start taking pics again, but mundane foods like this really work for the mouth rather than the eye.

Keep going on the savoury front bbro. I'll be angling for an invite any day. I'll even bring dessert. My next project: Easter chick cake pops. If'n only I can work out a way to make tiny nests. Otherwise I'll have to go back to putting them on lolly sticks and the last time I tried that was an unqualified disaster.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 07:10 PM   #69
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

you can't go wrong with a good stew....i like that recipe wolf!

SG - keep right on baking! i'd like to start doing that. i remember one time while on my society hiatus one of the many books i read was by Dean Koontz and i believe it was life expectancy i could be wrong but the main character was a baker. the descriptions of some of the things he made? mmmmmmm yummy!

tonight on the grill is nothing out of the ordinary. chicken and pork ribs. leftover veggies from last night sautee'd with fresh jalapeņos in a butter/Worcestershire sauce.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:09 AM   #70
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Quote:
Originally Posted by plthijinx View Post
... while on my society hiatus ...

Nice turn of phrase, plt!
Old 02-14-2011, 02:50 AM   #71
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

ya like that? me too. yeah well that's the best way i can put it. if i learned one thing it was two or more. how to "cook" ramen noodle soups and come up with the craziest combinations for something that actually tasted good! even on *ahem* society hiatus commissary. i was a regular MacGyver in there. be it cooking food, fixing radios, making string from trash bags or even lighting cigarettes. yeah they aren't allowed in tdcj so i used batteries with either brillo pads or razor blades to light the smokes from the bugler tobacco brought in by the corrupt guards.
Old 03-27-2011, 12:17 PM   #72
bbro

Not necessarily a cookbook, but I made this recently: http://www.eatbetteramerica.com/reci...r_EBA_2011_1_1

I do have a picture of the final dish:
Old 03-27-2011, 02:23 PM   #73
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by plthijinx View Post
...corrupt guards.
Corrupt guards...the hell you say.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 12:58 PM   #74
bbro

I've got something GOOOD coming
Old 04-09-2011, 02:24 PM   #75
bbro

I had all intentions of just using some store bought dough and making a normal pepperoni pizza - luckily, the stupid dough decided to mess with me, so I ended up having to make the dough from scratch. I didn't take pictures of all the ingredients before, etc, but I made up for it with pizza bokeh

Here is the recipe (with some paraphrasing):
2 1/4 to 3 3/4 c flour
1 pkg active dry yeast
1 c warm water
2 TBSP olive oil

Combine 1 1/4 flour, yeast, 1/4 tsp salt add warm water and oil. Use a mixer and mix on low for 30 seconds. Then on high for 3 mins. Mix as much of the remaining flour in as possible. Turn out and knead to a moderately stiff dough. Divide in half and let rest. Use to make Pan or Thin crust pizzas (I went with the Thin crust). Thin crust - grease two pans/baking sheets. Roll out dough and transfer. Pre-bake for 12 minutes at 425 or until brown. Add toppings and bake for 15-20 minutes or until bubbly.

Dough Resting:

I am going to split the two types of pizza up into two other posts. Hope you don't mind Seems neater to me somehow