The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Health

Health Keeping your body well enough to support your head

Old 02-16-2011, 10:13 AM   #1
bbro
Insert witty comment here

Industrial Piercing

Hey all - I was just curious if anyone has one? I just got one on Sunday and it looks worse today than it did on Sunday! I am hoping it is just irritated because I accidentally grabbed it this morning while moving my hair, but I was hoping that some one had one and could share their experiences with it.

Let me expand on worse than Sunday - red and a little swollen (looks shiny). Hurts a little more, but I think that is from the grabbing incident. After cleaning it is sore - but that is everyday.

Thanks
bbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 10:27 AM   #2
glatt

I didn't know what they were, so I went to wikipedia.

"Industrials typically take anywhere from three months to one year to fully heal and are considerably more painful than conventional piercing."

I hope you feel better soon.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 10:35 AM   #3
bbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
I hope you feel better soon.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
"Industrials typically take anywhere from three months to one year to fully heal and are considerably more painful than conventional piercing."
Heh - It hurt a whole lot worse than I remember the regular cartilage piercing, too. I told my doctor that it was a Valentine's Day present to myself and she said "So you bought yourself pain for Valentine's??" I had never thought of it that way.

If I remember correctly, it didn't take that long for the other cartilage piercing it to stop hurting daily. It was just that long before I could wake up if I slept on it and have it not hurt. Although this time, it is two holes instead of one.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:48 AM   #4
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Is the area warm or hot to the touch? Your ear could fall off. Go see a doctor.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 10:58 AM   #5
bbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post
Is the area warm or hot to the touch? Your ear could fall off. Go see a doctor.
Maybe just a tad warmer than the other ear, but not really noticeable. Coincidentally, I have a doctor's appointment on Friday. I think it gets a lot more stinky and hurty if it's gonna fall off......right??
Old 02-16-2011, 11:58 AM   #6
wolf
lobber of scimitars

If the tissues and nerve endings are dead, no it won't hurt.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 12:06 PM   #7
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Quote:
Such a delicate way with words, no?
Old 02-16-2011, 12:09 PM   #8
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
I've had moles removed, and one got infected. The doctor and her assistant were amazed that it didn't hurt.

I've been somewhat disturbed that something that they thought should have been painful wasn't. Not that I want pain, but still.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 01:26 PM   #9
Cloud

Totally normal. Your skin is reacting to being wounded, and redness, swelling, and tenderness--all normal. Bumps tend to come and go during the healing process too. You only have to worry if it becomes really, really painful, hot and oozes pus (pus--not lymph (i.e., "crusties").

Industrials are difficult to heal because 1) it's cartilage, and cartilage piercings are a bitch; and 2) the length of the bar makes it prone to being knocked around, which you want to avoid; ETA and 3) there's no blood supply to the cartilage.

Best thing you can do is your sea salt soaks. 1/4 teaspoon pure sea salt (no iodine, no anti-caking agents!) to 8 oz water; heat in microwave until hot (not too hot!); lean your ear into a cup and soak for 5 minutes, then rinse with clear water (or shower). Do this twice a day during the first couple of weeks, then once a day or as needed. Wash with mild soap (special antimicrobial soap called Satin or Provon is best, but you can use any diluted mild liquid soap that your body likes--not Dial!). Do not twist, rotate, or move it to clean!

This is basic aftercare. Don't panic! If you have any more questions about this, let me know--this is my specialty.

Also, I'd like to know--what brand and material is your barbell?

Last edited by Cloud; 02-16-2011 at 01:36 PM.
Cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 02:03 PM   #10
Pete Zicato
Turns out my CRS is a symptom of TMB.

How do you sleep on that thing?

Talk nerdy to me.
Pete Zicato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 02:13 PM   #11
Cloud

very carefully. In fact, you try to avoid sleeping on it at all. Sleep position adjustments and donut-shaped pillows are frequently employed during the healing process. After it heals, it's fine though.
Old 02-16-2011, 02:21 PM   #12
Pete Zicato
Turns out my CRS is a symptom of TMB.

No industrials for me then. I sleep on my side and most nights flip over at some point. I'd end up with no sleep for a year.

Talk nerdy to me.
Pete Zicato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 03:09 PM   #13
kerosene
Touring the facilities

I use to have one. It took about 6 months or so for me to get tired of it and take it out. I do remember it being sore for a while, though.
kerosene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 03:11 PM   #14
bbro

Cloud! Thank you so much! I knew there was someone on here that knew about it! Honestly - I couldn't tell you what the brand is, but I believe it is stainless steel. I never thought to ask.

I have been using bactine and a Q-tip to clean during the day as instructed by the piercer. I use softsoap in the shower in the morning to clean it after sleeping. I asked a friend who has the same piercing done by the same guy and they were the same instructions she got, but I think she does the salt water (but I don't know if she said sea salt) rinse now. She got hers a few weeks ago.

The worst part is that I don't even know if it is different than the first few days because it has been going so well until the morning when I yanked on it! Stupid hair...

Thanks again!!!

And Pete - I sleep that way, too. It sucks, but I like the piercing enough to deal with it. I just have to sleep on my left side. I was CRAVING sleeping on my right side last night.
Old 02-16-2011, 03:18 PM   #15
Cloud

STOP using the Bactine IMMEDIATELY! Bactine has never, ever been recommended for puncture wound or piercing care aftercare, and your piercer should be spanked for recommending that. Seriously.

I mention the brand and material because it can be important. There's stainless steel, and stainless steel--inferior grade can cause allergic reactions. Proper implant grade body jewelry stainless does not, and the brand can often be a clue. Titanium is pretty friendly to everyone, though. Do you know what gauge? This is also very important down the line when you want to change jewelry. It's quite common to get very excited and forget to ask these questions. Call your piercer back, and ask, or check on your receipt if you still have it, and make a note.

Resources: go here to review industry standard aftercare: www.safepiercing.org. Also, buy a copy of The Piercing Bible by Elayne Angel, which I helped write--it really is the "bible" for piercing info.