The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 09-23-2012, 05:01 PM   #2431
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
No. Any good?
I don't know. I've got "Birdman" on the Nook, and was thinking about trying it.

I'm currently trying to read "The Lens and The Looker" by Lory S. Kaufman, but it's gonna hafta do something pretty quick or I'm gonna bail.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 05:02 PM   #2432
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

I think westerns have ruined books for me. It's all I can read and enjoy seems like.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:56 PM   #2433
Pete Zicato
Turns out my CRS is a symptom of TMB.

Gone Girl

Mrs Z got me started on it. It's a page-turner but there's no one to like in this book.

This must be the latest thing. I'm reading a copy from one of Mrs. Z's friends, but I checked the library and there's 13 copies and 400 something holds.

Talk nerdy to me.
Pete Zicato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:12 PM   #2434
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Arthur C. Clarke's Imperial Earth. Interesting book. It has a vivid description of the future, but an all but nonexistent plot. Written in 1976, it has a passable, if quaint, prediction of the internet.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:40 PM   #2435
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

"Birdman" by Mo Hayder

Old 10-04-2012, 04:43 AM   #2436
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Can I include audiobooks here? It's all I get time to "read" just now. If so, then I've just finished The House of Silk, by Anthony Horovitz. A Sherlock Holmes story which I found to be excellent. Now I'm enjoying I Found my Horn, by Jasper Rees.

Sent by thought transference
Old 10-04-2012, 04:48 AM   #2437
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae View Post
I believe they can both have devastating effects. I will try to remember which one is which though.

Am working my way through Limey's Kindle. Sorry, I mean my Kindle. You're my Kindle now!
Am reading the Etymologicon (Mark Forsyth) which is amusing me enormously. I keep wanting to come on here and share some of the connections, and then remember that at least one other Dwellar already knows them.

I saw what you did there!

Glad you're enjoying the Kindle haven't finished the Etymologicon myself yet ...

Sent by thought transference
Old 10-04-2012, 07:28 AM   #2438
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Monkey View Post
Arthur C. Clarke's ... all but nonexistent plot.
Thinking back to the handful of Arthur C. Clarke books I've read, I'd say this describes them all perfectly. He has amazing ideas and describes them really well, but the "plots" are virtually nonexistent. At least, thinking back, all I can remember are the ideas, and not a single plot.

The worst is probably Rendezvous with Rama, where the entire plot is following explorers as they explore an abandoned alien space ship and catalog everything they learn.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:50 PM   #2439
busterb
NSABFD

Been reading Charles Mccarry, Mo Hayder.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:04 AM   #2440
Griff
still says videotape

American Nations: A History of the Eleven Rival Regional Cultures of North America by Colin Woodward gets into our regional belief systems. It is interesting in that he attempts to give background to what I see as varying definitions of liberty among different groups of Americans. It shows how embedded in regional culture it is, which may explain why people can't seem to respect each others values in our failing state.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:20 AM   #2441
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

I'm listening to the audiobook of Mogworld, by Yahtzee Croshaw, at the moment. It is making me laugh out loud.

It's set in a standard fantasy type MMO game, like World of Warcraft. Told from the perspective of Jim, formerly a trainee mage, now an undead minion. He's an inhabitant of the world, unaware of the existence of players.

As a young mage he dies in battle, and is buried, Some 60 years later, his spirit is rudely yanked from the eternal light and bliss that surrounded it and back into his dessicated corpse.

In the decades since his death the world has changed utterly. People no longer die. Those who died before the change, if brought back can no longer return to death. They sort of die, then are shunted back into their corpses (now most likely even more battered than they were before) to continue. Everyone else, the ordinary living inhabitants of the world, die and are helped back to the world and fresh new bodies by priests.

All Jim wants is to die properly. In order to this, he has to figure out what the fuck is going on....what the fuck are those angel type creatures who go around deleting things and forcing errant souls back into bodies, why an entire coastal town appears to have gone quite mad, with people speaking random jumbled up...scripts whilst attempting to walk through walls and suchlike, but most all, why everybody stopped dying, and how to get things back to normal?

The standard trope of a dark forboding castle keep, filled to the rafters with undead ghouls and zombies all intent on preventing you, the adventurer, from getting to the really interesting treasure chests, takes on a very diferent hue when one of those zombies is telling the story.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:37 PM   #2442
Chocolatl
Glutton for Gluttony

About 3/4 of the way through Cinderella Ate My Daughter by Peggy Orenstein.

It's a non-fiction book about the effects of the "girlie-girl" culture on young girls. All that pretty pink princess stuff... does it come at a price? (A: Yes.) Topics so far include Disney princesses, American Girl dolls, beauty pageants, Lohan/Spears/Cyrus, superheroes and the differences/similarities between girls and boys.

At times funny and often unsettling, it's been a very interesting read.
Chocolatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:52 PM   #2443
JBKlyde
Banned

Psalm 91 Gods Shield of Protection...
JBKlyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:20 AM   #2444
Crimson Ghost
Larger than life and twice as ugly.

Trying to fight my way through "Morals and Dogma" by Albert Pike, again.

I have no knowledge of the events which you are describing, and if I did have knowledge of them,
I would be unable to discuss them with you now or at any future period.

Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years
Crimson Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:35 AM   #2445
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocolatl View Post
About 3/4 of the way through Cinderella Ate My Daughter by Peggy Orenstein.

It's a non-fiction book about the effects of the "girlie-girl" culture on young girls. All that pretty pink princess stuff... does it come at a price? (A: Yes.) Topics so far include Disney princesses, American Girl dolls, beauty pageants, Lohan/Spears/Cyrus, superheroes and the differences/similarities between girls and boys.

At times funny and often unsettling, it's been a very interesting read.
I heard an interview with someone about the pink phenomenon. I wonder if it was her, or someone else working in the same field.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
books