The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 06-06-2002, 09:13 PM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

6/6/2002: PETA advertisement

UK readers will be familiar with this already, I'm guessing. It's a frame from a PETA advertisement that was set to run in cinemas, but was pulled when people felt it was... inappropriate.

The ad features the woman being clubbed to death for her fur coat. Bright folk will see the analogy they're trying to make...
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2002, 09:21 PM   #2
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Morons...
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2002, 09:50 PM   #3
Nic Name
retired

... PETA or the censors?
Nic Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2002, 10:03 PM   #4
elSicomoro

You, nic.

PETA...they just irritate the fuck out of me. It shouldn't have been censored, although I can see why. It could "inspire" people to start beating up on fur-wearers. Perhaps they could have put a disclaimer at the bottom.

If people want to wear fur, that's their right. If I owned one, and someone threw paint on me, it would take all the willpower I have to keep from beating the living fuck out of the vandal.
Old 06-06-2002, 10:09 PM   #5
jaguar
whig

All depends where the fur comes from as far as i'm concerned.
Old 06-06-2002, 10:09 PM   #6
Nic Name
retired

Oh, my misunderstanding. I thought the image was of a dead PETA vandal who had sprayed paint on that pimp's fur coat.
Nic Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2002, 10:17 PM   #7
elSicomoro

Quote:
Originally posted by jaguar
All depends where the fur comes from as far as i'm concerned.
Please extrapolate. So, if I legally went out and killed a bear, and decided to make a coat out of it, would you throw paint on me?

One day I AM going to own a fur coat in an attempt to be cool.
Old 06-06-2002, 10:17 PM   #8
warch
lurkin old school

I remember cracking up to an early Bobcat Goldwaith bit:

"Oh no, I dont eat beef. But I'd kill a cow in second for a cool coat."

I wonder if our righteous dude is striding away in his fine Italian leather shoes...just out of frame.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2002, 10:57 PM   #9
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

Quote:
Originally posted by sycamore

One day I AM going to own a fur coat in an attempt to be cool.
Uh...wouldn't it work better to own a fur coat in an attempt to be *warm*?

MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2002, 11:02 PM   #10
elSicomoro

Quote:
Originally posted by MaggieL
Uh...wouldn't it work better to own a fur coat in an attempt to be *warm*?
*groan*
Old 06-06-2002, 11:05 PM   #11
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

Quote:
Originally posted by sycamore

If people want to wear fur, that's their right. If I owned one, and someone threw paint on me, it would take all the willpower I have to keep from beating the living fuck out of the vandal.
Rather like the f*ckwits who think it's funny to stage a driveby shooting with a paintball gun. Is the victim supposed to make a split second asessment as to whether they've just been assaulted with a firearm, or if the stuff they've been doused with is toxic, caustic or contagious?

I do notice that this sort of "good goof" or "political statement" happens mostly in jurisdictions like New York and California where law-abiding folks have been disarmed. One guy who tried the paintball stunt in Utah found out the hard way that some folks there are packing heat. :-)

MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2002, 11:13 PM   #12
jaguar
whig

One in america would shooting someone with a painball gun give you the the justification to blow their head off *sighs*

Quote:
According to the NRA, the best form of personal protection is to be in possession of a loaded firearm at all times. To ensure your personal safety, stay the hell away from NRA members.
Depends on the bear, if it was an endangered species, yes, i'd probably ignite it and you along with it but something like foxfur coats etc, why not? Same applies for croc-skin handbags etc. All depends where the fur is coming from, ehre we have croc farms purely for this stuff.
Old 06-06-2002, 11:22 PM   #13
elSicomoro

Quote:
Originally posted by MaggieL
Rather like the f*ckwits who think it's funny to stage a driveby shooting with a paintball gun. Is the victim supposed to make a split second asessment as to whether they've just been assaulted with a firearm, or if the stuff they've been doused with is toxic, caustic or contagious?
I was watching some show on TLC earlier this week. It showed some juveniles driving around town on a 3-day rampage, destroying car windows and mail boxes. But what shocked me was that these kids (during said spree) were shooting at people with paintball guns and hitting people with bats. And they videotaped all of it. Now THAT'S stupid. IIRC, they started shooting at this guy on a bike...not only did he get hit by paintballs (which hurts from what I hear) but he went face first into the side mirror of a van. Ouch.
Old 06-06-2002, 11:30 PM   #14
jaguar
whig

lol now that is amazingly dumb. There are two types of painball, liquid capsules which are pretty harmless and the hard-ball powderpaint ones which can be muchos nasty.
Old 06-06-2002, 11:42 PM   #15
elSicomoro

Quote:
Originally posted by jaguar
One in america would shooting someone with a painball gun give you the the justification to blow their head off *sighs*
If one is armed with a gun, and they're being hit by something that appears to be a gun, you don't think that they would try to defend themselves by shooting? I'm not a fan of guns, but even I could see a self-defense rationale in that.

Quote:
Depends on the bear, if it was an endangered species, yes, i'd probably ignite it and you along with it but something like foxfur coats etc, why not? Same applies for croc-skin handbags etc. All depends where the fur is coming from, ehre we have croc farms purely for this stuff.
Hence why I said "legally." And PETA would hate the croc farms.