FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sports My tribe can beat up your tribe

Old 02-03-2008, 09:46 PM   #1
freshnesschronic
Professor

XLII- A Good Win for Sports

Yeah. Giants. Super Bowl XLII.

18-1.

Sorry Pats, the wildcard team beat you guys (who were undefeated). The Cinderella story of the century so far.

With the not-so-hot sports of The Big City: New York Knicks franchise in shambles, the hyped up but failure of the New York Yankees, and the New York Rangers not doing much since a guy named Wayne left with nothing gained for the organization, the big Superbowl win for the New York Giants is good for New York sports. More importantly, it is good for American sports in general. Despite what the experts were saying, the fans still rallied behind the underdogs.

And damn, that was an exceptional defensive showcase. Boy, that scramble by Eli blew my mind when he escaped the sack and threw it for the huge gain. And wow, that last sack (the best of five sacks) on Tom Brady sent a message to the audience. New York was here to play and to win.

Good win Giants, stand tall. And we must remember; there is no such thing as perfection.

Last edited by freshnesschronic; 02-03-2008 at 09:53 PM.
freshnesschronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 09:47 PM   #2
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

One of the most watchable and entertaining Super Bowls of all time.
Old 02-03-2008, 09:50 PM   #3
deadbeater
Sir Post-A-Lot

Yay! The Giants defeated the Cheaters.
deadbeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 09:52 PM   #4
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

that escape from the sack and circus catch told me the giants would win. like that time the titans had that bizarre kick return play that propelled them into the superbowl.

this play:
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 11:04 PM   #5
freshnesschronic
Professor

The Giants previously had been to the Super Bowl four times.

The Patriots had visited the championship game four times in the last seven years.

Heh.

Go Blue.

Last edited by freshnesschronic; 02-03-2008 at 11:09 PM.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:26 PM   #6
monster
I hear them call the tide

Why does it say 18-1? I thought the score was 17 -14?

btw, Fresh, nice verbiage, but your sentences are way too long. You're well on your way to decent sports reporting, though. Just watch for missing/extra words caused by changing your approach to the point you want to make -very easily done in long sentences. E.g. "the hyped up but failure of the New York Yankees" -this doesn't make sense, although I think I know what you were trying to say, which is half the battle.
Old 02-04-2008, 03:57 PM   #7
alphageek31337
Enemy Combatant/Evildoer

To put it simply: The good guys won. To put it more accurately, at least the guys we *caught* cheating didn't win. I'm happy. Eventually another team will come along and run the table the way the '72 Dolphins did, and with any luck the new record won't go into the books with an asterisk next to it. Also, Bill Belichick leaving the field, while overblown, showed quite a lack of sportsmanship. There's no ten run rule in football; you stay until the game's over.

Good for The Other Manning.
The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

---Friedrich Nietzsche
alphageek31337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 04:47 PM   #8
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Bill should NOT have worn that bright red hoodie. his grey brown one was good enough all year......it plainly cost him the game.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 05:04 PM   #9
freshnesschronic
Professor

Thanks Monster! I'll work on my writing skills too, 2.5 more years to go will help.

And 18-1 is the New England Patriot's record for this season's campaign. I bet they'll put it the record on blue t-shirts with a Giant's logo. I'd buy one.
Old 02-04-2008, 05:34 PM   #10
the quill
basically poking my nose in

This was the first Super Bowl I've actually watched in years. The fourth quarter was eminently entertaining. Manning's "escape" got me to my feet anyway.

And I'm not even a Giants fan.
the quill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 07:10 PM   #11
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshnesschronic View Post
And 18-1 is the New England Patriot's record for this season's campaign.
Aaaaah. thanks
Old 02-04-2008, 07:13 PM   #12
monster

Twas the first superbowl I've ever watched. And I believe I may even understand the concept of the game now. I suspect I'll never, ever understand it's popularity as a spectator sport. And I don't want to play, either
Old 02-05-2008, 08:22 AM   #13
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Twas a great game, one of the best I've seen, and I don't prefer either team but was hoping NY would pull it off.
Shawnee123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 04:03 PM   #14
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I've seen them all. Liked this one the best.
Old 02-05-2008, 06:07 PM   #15
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

I like to consider myself fairly enlightened, in a middle-class, white guy sort of way. And really, I ought to be posting this in the Guilty Pleasures thread, but damn...I loves me some football. And I'm actually conversant enough with the game to hold my own with total sportsheads. I've impressed people watching games with me by calling out what the likely play is going to be given the circumstances. I can usually figure the yardage gained on a given play without actually looking at the yard markers.

I played a lot of pickup football as a younger person, and was still good enough at it as a hippie to whip jocks in pickup park games with my other sporty-hippie pals. All this to say is that, despite the fact that sports are largely shunned by most of the other members of my Pagan community, I am a football pariah. Proudly so.

Football good!