Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 10-24-2006, 11:50 AM   #31
Stormieweather
Wearing her bitch boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae Girl
....Isn't it more likely one of your group discovered a way to put the wind up the rest of you and did it themself?
Anything is possible (:p ), but I remember being petrified because the board that reappeared had the same gouges and scratches as the one we had cut up earlier. The board was very thick and it took several of us to cut it. I can visualize the trashcan we threw it into and how we kept eyeing it the rest of the evening. There was a lot of accusing each other of trickery as well /shrug. I honestly don't know how or what happened, but I've never messed with a Ouiji board since.

<Better safe than sorry>

Stormie
Old 10-24-2006, 12:29 PM   #32
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Ok, I admit - that would petrify me too.

I did not believe in any of the 3 Ouija sessions I attended, but I managed to convince myself once that the rug in my living room was possessed. So I guess people in glass houses etc
Old 10-24-2006, 01:01 PM   #33
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Noodle nails it. The MB game itself holds no inherent powers...its users, however, do. Everyone does. Some of us are more able to access the energies of the Universe, some are less able, but all have the potential. Good, bad...makes no difference, because it is all energy. You can't have dark without light, negative without positive, good without bad. They are two halves of a whole.

When I watched "What the Bleep...?" , I did come away with the feeling that there was a certain agenda or group responsible, but the underlying information is perfectly valid. We are a part of the Universe. We aren't separate, outside observers. We are made from the same stuff, and are inextricable from it. The possibilities that this revelation opens are endless.

Last edited by Elspode; 10-24-2006 at 01:06 PM.
Elspode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 01:08 PM   #34
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Or it's all a load of imagined hooey. You decide.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 01:11 PM   #35
Flint
Snowflake

Some of the things which are made clear by shunning convention and following logic are not what you would expect.
Skepticism, when applied with a pre-determined agenda, shoots itself in the foot, IE "garbage in, garbage out" . . .
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio

Last edited by Flint; 10-24-2006 at 01:17 PM.
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 01:16 PM   #36
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad
Or it's all a load of imagined hooey. You decide.
I didn't come to Paganism easily. I finally gave in when I had enough things happen to me that couldn't be readily explained by science. I can't say that spirituality has explained it all, either, but it has taught me that I cannot and should not expect to be able to express everything as an equation.

Some things you simply must experience and accept that they happen.
Old 10-24-2006, 01:23 PM   #37
kerosene
Touring the facilities

I said it before and I'll say it again. Elspode's posts are truly among my favorite.
kerosene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 01:27 PM   #38
Flint
Snowflake

I sound like a nutjob when I get in a hurry...

I firmly believe that everything has an explanation. There are definitely some things which are un-knowable from our limited persepctive, but giving up on a rational explanation is the antithesis of my philosophy. If any part of science or spirituality was in conflict with the other, for me, I would know that there is something which needs to be rejected. If it doesn't fit in my picture, then either it is wrong or my picture is wrong. It just needs to be hashed out. I believe that everything can be expressed as an equation, but it's all the same equation, and most of the complication is created by our own inner struggles. There is one universe, and everything is part of it, or X = 1 where X is everything (including science and spirituality...)

Last edited by Flint; 10-24-2006 at 01:33 PM.
Old 10-24-2006, 01:37 PM   #39
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

That is the history of humanity: we experience something, we don't understand it, we are highly uncomfortable NOT understanding, and so we ASSIGN some explanation to it. Maybe even assign meaning to it.

Unfortunately, as the mistaken explanations firm up in society, they are passed along in lieu of the real explanations.

But now we know: the stars aren't pushed by Gods, they only appear to, because the Earth rotates. It isn't an earthquake because the beings are mad at you; techtonic plates shift below the surface of the earth. You don't get sick because you were bad; you get sick because you get a virus or infection or other type of disease. (edit: which of course you could get by being "bad", but you get the idea)

"Accepting", in my case, is

A) expecting that probability will cause a number of strange things to happen in one's life, and that no further explanation is necessary;
B) admitting there are indeed some things that science doesn't explain, but this doesn't mean there isn't a reality-based explanation;
C) humans are inexact, faulty, moody and full of error while reality is harshly exact.

It's not hard to do once you get the idea. And it allows you to bypass an incredible amount of bullshit. Such as almost everything in this thread. Frightened by a Ouija board? What are you, children? Are you afraid of the dark too? Do you get scared on Halloween?
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 01:51 PM   #40
mrnoodle
bent

There's nothing irrational about the spiritual world, we just haven't created the mechanisms yet that render it measurable and quantifiable on a purely physical level. A lot of it is hooey, some of it isn't. There are too many objective, unrelated accounts that point to the same thing to be able to discount them all. If science is eventually able to figure it all out, it won't be because it's able to squish everything into its current template of how the world works.

When phrenology was big, do you think that any of the scientists involved could have grasped a concept like modern neurology? And what we know today will seem laughably crude in 200 years.
Old 10-24-2006, 01:52 PM   #41
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
...C) humans are inexact, faulty, moody and full of error while reality is harshly exact. ...
I would substitute for harshly: serenely, implacably, and indifferently
Old 10-24-2006, 01:55 PM   #42
Flint
Snowflake

Quote:
...a reality-based explanation...
A common problem occurs when "reality" is conflated with the neuro-chemical illusion we are designed to experience.

Old 10-24-2006, 02:27 PM   #43
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Do you get scared on Halloween?
Depends on what costume you're wearing.
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 09:50 PM   #44
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I had a Ouija board as a kid ... everybody did, didn't they? I never had one bit of success with it ... not sure if that was lucky or unlucky. I was more of a Magic 8-Ball girl, and had my first fortune telling deck at 10 years old and my first tarot deck at 13.

I did have to do an exorcism on a friend's kid's Ouija board once, though.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 11:16 PM   #45
Hubris Boy
Keymaster of Gozer

Ouija boards? Meh. That's kid stuff.

On the other hand, some truly dreadful, terrifying things can be conjured using nothing more than a bottle of tequila and a copy of Chutes and Ladders.

I'm pretty sure that's how Barbra Streisand was able to cross over into our plane of existence.
Hubris Boy is offline   Reply With Quote