The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 05-03-2011, 08:35 AM   #91
Sheldonrs
Master Dwellar

Dear Donald and Tea Party,
Attached Images

Last edited by Sheldonrs; 05-03-2011 at 08:53 AM.
Sheldonrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 08:35 AM   #92
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 08:42 AM   #93
Nirvana
Back in 10

I am not dancing in the streets or celebrating a death that is a bit disconcerting to me. But Australia has never had an attack on their shores by Al Qaeda. There is no comparison for you not even Bali. It is not my place to say to anyone how they can behave and its not yours either.

When Hiro Hito died Australia did not send a representative so I think Australians must have a different way of receiving the death of a mass murderer and good for ya'll.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:03 AM   #94
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
I thought his family had disowned him long before September 11th?
Maybe they did glatt. I'm not sure of that. My point was just that to some people his life had value, and not just the extremists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana View Post
I am not dancing in the streets or celebrating a death that is a bit disconcerting to me. But Australia has never had an attack on their shores by Al Qaeda. There is no comparison for you not even Bali. It is not my place to say to anyone how they can behave and its not yours either.

When Hiro Hito died Australia did not send a representative so I think Australians must have a different way of receiving the death of a mass murderer and good for ya'll.
What the hell is that supposed to mean? Are you taking cheap shots now or what? And why are you taking my comment so personally? It wasn't aimed at you or even at Americans in particular. There are plenty of people in Australia that're reacting in a way that I think is in bad taste too. It was my observation and how I felt about the death of the man. Am I not entitled to that opinion?
Old 05-03-2011, 09:30 AM   #95
Nirvana
Back in 10

Quote:
Now that he's dead, what don't we show our humanity instead of becoming what we hate?
You most certainly can have your own opinion. I was merely pointing out that your comment in no way matches some of the sentiment in your own country. Telling Americans to essentially "get over it" doesn't really fly, its only been 10 years since 9/11. Australians seem not to have gotten over WWll how long has that been??? Maybe you should start your humanitarian campaign in your own country. Just saying. . .
Old 05-03-2011, 09:39 AM   #96
Aliantha

I did not even suggest that anyone should just 'get over it'. I didn't even suggest people shouldn't be glad. I simply pointed out that I think that rejoicing is inappropriate, and that is because of my very own personal ethical and moral standards concerning how I deal with death.

What are you talking about WW11 for? In what way are Australians being inhumane about WW11? I don't understand what you think the correlation is. Why are you trying to pick a fight with me over this? Are you still upset about our exchange in the beef thread?

I could accuse you of being anti-australian after the comments you've made here and in the other thread, but I think that'd be pretty pointless because that'd be giving you an out for what your real problem is.

eta: Also, as I clearly stated, my post was not directed at Americans or anyone else in particular.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:43 AM   #97
Nirvana
Back in 10

I am not anti Australian, people are people and they deal with things differently. Saying how you feel is fine telling others how they should feel , not so much....

I have no problem with you either, only your comments on this we do not agree..
Old 05-03-2011, 09:48 AM   #98
Aliantha

OK then. I'll put it like this especially for you.

I don't feel like dancing in the street because Bin Laden is dead. If I did do that, I would feel like a person devoid of compassion for human life.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:59 AM   #99
infinite monkey

In other news, here's what Rush had to say:

Quote:
According to Limbaugh, Obama's success must be linked to former President George W. Bush.

"We need to never forget that President Obama deserves praise for continuing the policies established by George W. Bush which led to the learning, the acquisition of this intel that led us to the enlarged hut in Pakistan that led to the assassination of bin Laden last night," he declared.

"Thank God for President Obama. If he had not been there, who knows what would've happened."

What a big fat idiot.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:29 AM   #100
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

bin laden's brother died not too far from where i live. he owned an airport called Houston Gulf (aka: spaceland). well he apparently wasn't that good of a pilot cuz he stall/spun on final and augured in on final approach. i'd have to do some digging to find the ntsb report, but it'd be my guess he got into the all too familiar cross controlled stall from turning base to final where many approach to landing accidents happen. what happens is this: the pilot overshoots the runway centerline on base so as they are turning, for example, left to line up with the runway they are forcing the nose of the airplane to the left using way too much left rudder. then what happens is you have to input right aileron to compensate putting the plane in a dangerous situation. do it too much and the plane stalls with no warning. no stall warning horn, no buffet, no nothing. to recover from such a stall requires more than a 1000 ft so most that get into that situation die.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:45 AM   #101
infinite monkey

Wait. World War 11? That's twice this week.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:46 AM   #102
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

You mean, if you turn hard with rudder without banking, both wings will lose lift?
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 02:05 PM   #103
Pete Zicato
Turns out my CRS is a symptom of TMB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Zicato View Post
Have you had any effect during your time here? Have you convinced even one person of the reasonableness of the right? I ask anyone who has been swayed to the right by UGs 'arguments' to step forth.
Anyone? Anyone?

Talk nerdy to me.
Pete Zicato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 03:41 PM   #104
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
You mean, if you turn hard with rudder without banking, both wings will lose lift?
no, what happens is this:

Quote:
Because of the possibility of exceeding the airplane’s limitations, flaps should not be extended. While the gliding attitude and airspeed are being established, the airplane should be retrimmed. When the glide is stabilized, the airplane should be rolled into a medium-banked turn to simulate a final approach turn that would overshoot the centerline of the runway. During the turn, excessive rudder pressure should be applied in the direction of the turn but the bank held constant by applying opposite aileron pressure. At the same time, increased back-elevator pressure is required to keep the nose from lowering.

All of these control pressures should be increased until the airplane stalls. When the stall occurs, recovery is made by releasing the control pressures and increasing, power as necessary to recover.

In a cross-control stall, the airplane often stalls with little warning. The nose may pitch down, the inside wing may suddenly drop, and the airplane may continue to roll to an inverted position. This is usually the beginning of a spin. It is obvious that close to the ground is no place to allow this to happen
felt this could explain it better. from here
Old 05-03-2011, 04:00 PM   #105
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

So this is why it's "cross control", because the pilot is forcing the various surfaces to fight each other's forces a little, and so at low speeds it loses lift and stalls.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jill vs ug, original and still # 1