The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 02-06-2014, 06:26 PM   #181
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

I hate waiting [/inyigomontoya]
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 03:59 AM   #182
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Holy fucking awesome, Batman.

Sounds like a belter of an interview, V.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 10:58 AM   #183
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

I got a message this morning asking to setup a time for a fourth interview.

still nervous, relieved though to **finally** hear from them after the third interview. That was a long twelve days with no feedback.
Old 02-18-2014, 11:18 AM   #184
glatt

I'm glad you got another interview, but wish you had gotten a "Yes" instead.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 12:18 PM   #185
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Thanks!! Me too man. But it won't be a "yes", even when it's a yes, it will be the opening of negotiations. They'll make an offer and I'll consider it. Then I'll make a counter offer and they'll consider it. It probably won't go much further than that, and the subsequent counter counters will have smaller and smaller issues. But there are issues, like starting rate of pay, which shift, prearranged vacations, starting vacation accrual rates, signing bonuses... I can't think of any others, but there could be.

I've learned that however much they like me, and they clearly do, because it's unlikely that they'd have put so much energy into checking me out if they didn't *want* me to be the one to solve their problems. Granted, it's a buyer's market out there. But I will **never** have more leverage with them for large or discontinuous jumps in compensation (money, time, perks, titles, etc etc) than I do the day and hour before I say "yes". I'm aware of that.

At my last position, the first offer they made me was ten thousand dollars a year less than my counter, which they countered in turn. We agreed on a number eight thousand dollars a year more than their first figure. There's no way I'm gonna get an eight thousand dollar a year raise in my annual review.

In this case, they're already angling to learn how open I am to working nights. I strongly prefer days, but not so strongly that I'd rather be unemployed. Of course, it all depends on the offer. The actual schedule is already ... unusual. I'd want a shift differential of some kind to become a creature of the night. Like I said, negotiation.
Old 02-18-2014, 08:26 PM   #186
Griff
still says videotape

4 interviews! Jeepers Kittens.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:22 AM   #187
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Hopefully you'll be able to get most or all of what you want, BigV. It seems like you are a good negotiator.

What is the normal amount of interviews?
slang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 12:54 PM   #188
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

So. This was yesterday.

I called her, as she asked me to in her email, to setup a time. I called her at about 9 am today. I got her voicemail. Left a message, "call me!". Called again at 430 pm. Same thing. grrrrrrrrrrrrr..

So, this morning, I called, AND SHE ANSWERED! (honestly, it takes *so* little to make me happy, hmmm?) and my interview is scheduled for 1 pm Thursday, he'll call me. I made sure she also has my mobile number just in case.

yeesh.
Old 02-19-2014, 12:59 PM   #189
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

slang, I don't know how many interviews are standard, four seems like a lot. On the other hand, I applied at a local financial institution, and got only two interviews, and no offer. I wonder about that since I could **easily** have done the job AND I did very well in the interview, good rapport, good vibe. But, I signed a release for a background check and credit check (marginally justifiable for an outfit like them... I guess) and I reckon they found something there to disqualify me. There's been no similar request from this outfit. Regardless, they wish to press on, and we'll see what this guy wants from me. He's the hiring manager, so... I want his approval, to say the least.
Old 02-19-2014, 01:04 PM   #190
glatt

It's been a a while since we hired anyone, but back in the day, there would be two interviews, scheduled during the same visit, for entry level jobs. And normally three interviews, scheduled over two visits, for a more senior job.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 03:46 PM   #191
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

At Mr. Clod's employer, there's one or two screenings by phone, and then an all-day in-person interview event where you get interviewed by at least 4 or 5 people from various levels and departments.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 02:55 PM   #192
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

five minutes

:gulp:
Old 02-20-2014, 04:25 PM   #193
Sheldonrs
Master Dwellar

Fingers crossed! :-)
Old 02-20-2014, 04:27 PM   #194
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Break a leg, mate!
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 04:33 PM   #195
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

done.

forty minutes, it was all positive. Now, he says he'll forward his notes to the recruiter and that I should hear from her by tues or wed next week.

What I know so far:

I like this company, I like the people I've come into contact with. I have a friend who works for the same company, different section. He's given me much background, talking about the company and all of it has been good. I do want to work, I want to get paid. ... I think I'll compile a semi-formal pro/con list. There's no offer yet, so I can't evaluate that, though the recruiter did say at the outset a salary range (or was it an hourly range??? it was expressed in dollars per hour).

More waiting.

I have some long deferred retail therapy I want to indulge in.