The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 07-07-2012, 12:16 AM   #1891
Flint
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
After the first, why did she let them borrow the keys?
Why don't we let Toonces drive the car?
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:11 PM   #1892
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Bus Driver Catches Autistic Girl Falling From 3-Story Window: Fall Caught on Tape

from abcnews via Yahoo

Quote:
A hero is a sandwich.
Bullshit.

Quote:
A 7-year-old New York City girl escaped injury after she fell from a third-story window when she was caught by a neighbor.

Cell phone video taken by a resident in the Coney Island section of Brooklyn shows Keyla McCree standing on an air conditioning unit moments before she fell and landed in the bushes. Her dramatic fall was broken by the arms of Steven St. Bernard, who rushed to the scene and caught the girl.

"Please let me catch her, please let me catch her, that's all I could say. Let me catch the little baby, that's all," said St. Bernard.

The 52-year-old bus driver and father of four told ABC News affiliate WABC that he was just in the right place at the right time.

"It feels good now to know that I did something," said St. Bernard, who lives in the apartment complex.

Keyla, who is autistic, managed to perch herself on the air conditioner by pushing through one of the accordion pieces that holds the unit to the window while her mother was in the next room. Moments before she fell, McCree was seen dancing on the air conditioning unit. Police tell WABC they do not believe McCree's parents did anything criminal.

"She did hit the bushes and the ground a little, but not straight on because of his arms," said witness Latasha Marcus.

St. Bernard tore a tendon in his left shoulder and was sporting a sling after the incident. As for Keyla, she's doing just fine thanks to the man who certainly lived up to his name.

"I saw her in the hospital. She doesn't have a scratch on her," said St. Bernard.

This morning, friends and neighbors are calling St. Bernard a hero. "No. A hero is a sandwich. I just saw a kid, that's it," said St. Bernard.

Embedding is disabled, so here's the YouTube link.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:12 PM   #1893
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

from AP via Yahoo

Quote:
MONROE, Wash. (AP) — An animal that appears to be a bobcat has found its way inside a Washington state prison, and state wildlife officers are at the scene trying to remove it.

Lt. Jose Briones (bree-owns) says a staffer spotted the animal at about 2 a.m. Tuesday on the roof of the special offenders unit of the Monroe Corrections Complex. He says the animal must have climbed a fence or pushed in through some gap in the fence.

The prison called state Fish and Wildlife officers, who are trying to remove the animal, possibly with a tranquilizer gun.

Briones says raccoons have been seen outside the fence before but he knows of no other animals breaking inside.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 07-17-2012, 01:08 PM   #1894
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Good moo-rning: Breakaway cow herd stampedes down street

Quote:
“When I heard the noise I first thought it was a family member in the house snoring but then I took a look outside,” he added. “The cows only really left hoof prints behind them, not much damage. I know they came for a field about a mile away from here but I’m not sure whose cows they are.
“They came up the alleyway, spent five minutes on the road and then went back again.”
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/good-moo-rn...wn-street.html
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 02:34 PM   #1895
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Reminds me of the time Momdigr said "A policeman just went by the window, with his gun out." Like the smart people we are, we went outside to see what was what.

He was chasing/being chased by a humongous semi-feral hog.

He, the hog, just decided to come to town, I guess.

Old 07-17-2012, 03:56 PM   #1896
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Belarus police detain student in 'teddy-bear mystery'

Quote:
Authorities in Belarus have arrested a student as a suspected accomplice in violating the country's borders after he published photos of a mysterious mass landing of teddy bears brandishing protest slogans.

Quote:
Authorities in the isolated country have denied reports in Swedish media claiming in early July that a small plane crossed the border from Lithuania into Belarus where it air-dropped hundreds of teddy bears on little parachutes holding signs demanding human rights and political freedoms.

Little evidence of the drop surfaced besides one viral video showing a plane pass over what seems to be a provincial town releasing tiny objects and a photo of a bear holding a tiny placard.
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/belarus-pol...142807671.html
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:54 PM   #1897
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Was there a tell-tale trail of teddy bear hair?
Old 07-18-2012, 08:43 PM   #1898
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

I know an old lady who swallowed a fly....
Quote:
PORTLAND, Oregon (Reuters) - An Oregon man who contracted a rare case of bubonic plague,
a disease that ravaged Europe during the Middle Ages, is expected to lose his fingers and some toes,
but should be well enough to leave the hospital within weeks, his family said on Wednesday.

Paul Gaylord, 59, spent almost a month in intensive care, most of it on life support
after he was infected while trying to take a rodent from the mouth of his cat on June 2.
The choking cat bit his hand and scratched him.
Now, my daughter-the nurse, says the background story from the family is more involved...

The cat caught a mouse... seemingly a large "mouse"... but couldn't swallow it.
The man thought the cat was choking, and so tried to get the mouse out of the cat's mouth.
The cat bit him.
The man thought the cat was choking, and so took to his gun to put the cat out of his misery.
Now, on with the new article...

Quote:
Doctors at a clinic near his home in Prineville, Oregon,
about 150 miles southeast of Portland, first prescribed an antibiotic
for cat scratch fever, according to his niece, Andrea Gibb.

Several days later, his condition worsening, Gaylord returned to the clinic
and was rushed to a local hospital. He was then transferred to a larger hospital
in nearby Bend, Oregon.

"The doctors said he wasn't going to make it," Gibb said, adding that her uncle
is expected to lose all of his fingers, which have turned a black, and most of his toes.
"He has had ups and downs, but he is very strong."
The background story continues...
Since the man has something that is obviously NOT cat scratch fever,
the family goes home and digs up the cat's remains and delivers it to the lab.
The lab says they isolated plague bacteria from the cat.
Now that, in and of itself, is a news story. But to continue...

Quote:
The plague, often spread by flea bites or through contact with a sickened animal,
is believed to have killed around 25 million Europeans during the Middle Ages,
when it was known as the Black Death.

Today, it is treated with antibiotics and only an average of seven cases a year
are reported in the United States, according to the Centers for Disease Control.
The cases are virtually all in the western states.

Oregon has had three cases since 1995 and none of the victims have died,
according to the Crook County Health Department.
Next our question is, was the "mouse" still in the cat's mouth ?
This is relevant because here in the west, because the plague bacteria
are carried by fleas on rodents, particularly the California ground squirrel.
Name:  images.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  9.5 KB

So be cautious about feeding the local campground fauna.
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 06:19 AM   #1899
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

There are indeed wild reserves of bubonic plague in wild animals in the US.

However, there is serious doubt about whether the "Black Death" was actually bubonic plague and not some Ebola-like hemorrhagic viral fever. Most notably, if there was black death in a house, quarantining that house for 40 days usually seemed to contain it. There is no way rats obey quarantine.
Old 07-23-2012, 05:15 PM   #1900
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

Man with ‘world’s biggest penis’ stopped at SFO security:

link here

Quote:
A New York man known for his unusually large penis was patted down by airport security at San Francisco International last week after they questioned him about the bulge in his pants, he said.
Quote:
“They wanted to know if I had something in my pockets, and when I said no, they asked if I had some sort of growth,” he said.

When he replied that it was just his penis, they “checked the area around it” but didn’t frisk him too severely, he said. They also wiped his hands to check for explosive powder.
Quote:
“I”ve gone through the (airport scanner) before, and I wasn’t worried,” he said. “What was the worst that was going to happen — I was going to have to whip it out for them? I’m used to that. Sometimes when people ask me about it, if I’m feeling up to it, I’ll just show them.”

Falcon’s penis has been reported as 9.5 inches when flaccid and 13.5 inches when erect, according to Rolling Stone. He has been featured in documentaries on HBO and overseas and has appeared on The Daily Show with Jon Stewart. He works as a video game journalist and as an actor with small roles in movies and television shows, according to his Internet Movie Database profile.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:37 AM   #1901
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Again? That's three times this week!
Old 07-24-2012, 10:18 AM   #1902
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

lol @ zen
Old 07-24-2012, 12:00 PM   #1903
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Ichiro traded to Yankees (PTUI)--left at Will Call

Quote:
The Seattle Mariners have traded longtime superstar and fan favorite Ichiro Suzuki to the New York Yankees in exchange for two minor-league prospects, the baseball team announced Monday.
The Mariners are the premier club among the NY Yankees' (PTUI) farm organization. You remember Alex Rodriguez? You saw him here first. Now Ichiro. We have such an intimate relationship with the Yankees (PTUI) that we don't just develop players for them, they pick them up at will call here. Ichiro was a Mariner two hours before game time, then the trade, then Ichiro appeared in the opposing dugout. He didn't even have to fly to NY, just walked across to the 3rd base dugout.

There goes the last thing I cared about the Mariners.
Old 07-24-2012, 01:03 PM   #1904
Griff
still says videotape

Now now, the Yanks only grab these guys when they've got nothing left in the tank. ARod has been a very good defensive third baseman since leaving his bat in Texas, I expect similar play from Suzuki all be it with much better locker-room attitude. NY did send you Montero (for a fat kid which a sore arm) who will be the best hitting catcher in MLB once he smooths out his defensive game. I still don't know why Seattle insists on being a small market team. They blew a chance at owning Japan when they failed to surround Suzuki with talent.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:27 AM   #1905
Ibby
erika

found it on tumblr so I can't possibly vouch for its accuracy or anything, but...

THUNDAHSTRUUUUCK!