The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 07-02-2019, 04:13 PM   #4096
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

https://www.suttons.co.uk/Gardening/...8835.htm#close
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 04:15 PM   #4097
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Every gnome should have one.
Old 07-03-2019, 12:53 AM   #4098
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Did that Gnome out bunny the bunny?

These Border Patrol Agents look perfect for the job of calming distraught young-uns.
Attached Images

Old 07-04-2019, 09:34 AM   #4099
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

They're filling those dolls with sand and sending them over to the Mexican side of the Rio Grande as training aids for border runners to practice swimming across the river with children strapped onto their backs. This is important because the children make good human shields so border runners won't get shot crossing the river.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 08:52 AM   #4100
sexobon

Quote:
Ex-LSU lineman Branch nearly died, lost his leg after shot by a dog on hunting trip

Former LSU lineman Matt Branch nearly died late last year after a freak hunting accident in which he was shot by a dog, causing him to lose his leg.

Branch, who played for the Tigers from 2008-2011, was on an annual hunt with his family and friends in Mississippi on December 28. Branch and several others started loading their duck hunting gear into the back of a truck, where his shotgun was laying.

According to the Clarion Ledger, a black Labrador Retriever suddenly jumped into the back of the bed and right onto the gun. Somehow, the dog’s paw turned off the safety and pulled the trigger, shooting Branch in the left leg. ...
They didn't mention that the dog also managed to chamber a round in the shotgun that was about to be transported.

(Maybe someone told the gunowner to load his shotgun on the truck and he misunderstood.)
Old 07-20-2019, 09:24 AM   #4101
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Maybe a family member shot him and they lied to avoid questions.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 09:42 AM   #4102
sexobon

In Mississippi, dogs are family members. But I know what you mean.

You're a conspiracy theorist's dream girl.
Old 07-20-2019, 07:57 PM   #4103
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Who you calling a conspiracy theorist?
Old 07-20-2019, 08:05 PM   #4104
sexobon

There's no such thing as conspiracy theorists. They're a hoax.
Old 07-28-2019, 04:25 AM   #4105
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

This was mentioned on the radio in the early hours of this morning and I wasn't sure if I'd heard it right.

I can't quite believe it. Perhaps not so much weird as utterly bizarre.

Quote:
Americans are furious at Devon town's plans to burn one of its most proud national symbols

"To us this is almost sickening to think about, it's disturbing"
Quote:
"Sickening, disturbing and incredibly odd" - these are just some of the words used by Americans to describe an event set to take place in a Devon town.

Every five years Torrington in North Devon hosts a huge bonfire event organised by members of the charitable Torrington Cavaliers group.

The band of volunteers spend years building enormous structures which are then set fire to in front of a crowd of thousands, with previous examples including the town of Trumpton and replicas of Pudding Lane and HMS Victory.

But the choice of structure for the Cavalier's 2020 bonfire has enraged some Americans.

The group is currently in the process of building a life size replica of The Mayflower ship, which carried the first 'Pilgrims' from Plymouth to America back in 1620.

2020 marks the 400th anniversary of the Mayflower sailing, which is why the Cavaliers chose the ship for their bonfire.

But some Americans who recently found out about this event are outraged that a symbol of such national pride could be set fire to.

The organisers of the official Mayflower 400 anniversary celebrations took to Facebook to share some pictures of the Torrington Cavaliers' progress on their replica of the ship.

The post attracted a lot of comments from Americans who were not happy.

One said: "It's the most important ship in American history. The Mayflower is not an abomination. I would never want to see it set on fire."
Name:  Mayflower.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  55.9 KB

A drone photo showing the size and scale of the replica Mayflower.

LINK

For a more cerebral approach to 17th Century US history, could I suggest this episode of Time Team from 2007?

I won't spoil it for you, but they made some spectacular discoveries.

Old 07-28-2019, 11:53 PM   #4106
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

But Jamestown was a commercial enterprise which stile from the natives and led to slavery, whereas Plymouth a couple years later was religious zealots who stole from the natives and issued scarlet letters.
Old 07-29-2019, 10:39 AM   #4107
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Carruthers, you (and I) don't really appreciate the fashion of outrage and scandal to be gained from a diet of social media. This expression is bizarre because it's silly. There are some stories that are popularized this way that merit outrage and scandal, but this is not one of them.

In my experience, news like this, the shoutiest parts are are a distraction, sometimes/usually intentionally so, depending on the tweeter...

Consider the source, consider the medium.
Old 08-02-2019, 02:23 AM   #4108
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

How dare you not take my stupidity... er... uh, outrage, yeah that's it, outrage seriously. I'm going home in a snit.
Attached Images

Old 08-02-2019, 11:01 AM   #4109
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Well played xoB.
Old 09-14-2019, 10:25 AM   #4110
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Solid gold toilet stolen from Winston Churchill's birthplace Blenheim Palace

A solid gold toilet installed in the former home of Winston Churchill has been stolen.

The 18ct toilet, reportedly worth more than £1m, is an art piece called America and is the work of Italian conceptual artist Maurizio Cattelan.

Police have confirmed the toilet has been stolen and are investigating.

The loo remains missing but a 66-year-old man has been arrested in connection with the theft.

Detective Inspector Jess Milne said: "The piece of art that has been stolen is a high value toilet made out of gold that was on display at the palace.

"Due to the toilet being plumbed in to the building, this has caused significant damage and flooding.

"The artwork has not been recovered at this time but we are conducting a thorough investigation to find it and bring those responsible to justice."
Name:  Golden Throne.JPG
Views: 270
Size:  53.2 KB

Quote:
Edward Spencer-Churchill, the founder of the Blenheim Art Foundation, told The Times ahead of its installation: "Despite being born with a silver spoon in my mouth I have never had a s**t on a golden toilet, so I look forward to it."

Asked about security concerns, he commented: "It's not going to be the easiest thing to nick.

"Firstly, it's plumbed in and secondly, a potential thief will have no idea who last used the toilet or what they ate."

The golden toilet was previously on display at New York's Guggenheim museum in 2016. Visitors could use it while a member of security staff stood guard outside.

It was offered to US President Donald Trump - who upon moving into the White House installed golden curtains - by the museum.
Thames Valley Police is investigating but a source close to the inquiry admitted that they have nothing to go on.

LINK