The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 07-12-2014, 01:34 PM   #16
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Hammocks are ok; but, you're limited to sleeping where there are trees to tie up to and fair weather (you don't want to be under trees when there's lightning).

I carry a large mosquito net (a.k.a. insect bar) sized to go over cots. When snakes are more of a concern than bugs, I invert the net putting my bedroll on top of it and using the edge tie-downs as tie-ups with a few feet of cord to form a cradle about 2-1/2 feet high so I can still step over the edge of the net to access my sleeping space. Small branches can be placed inside at the head and foot ends as spreaders to keep it from brushing against me when I reposition. If a snake still gets in, well then I've got breakfast!
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 02:05 PM   #17
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexobon View Post

BTW, for those who slide off their air mattresses, there are thin textured non-slip polymer sheets on the market that are tacky on both sides.
Good tip! All this talk has me trying to figure out a good three day in the ADKs for when the girls are at school.
Old 07-12-2014, 03:10 PM   #18
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

This all reminds me of something I heard an ex-military friend say to his wife once, they were talking about sleeping on the ground:

Him: I ain't ever sleeping 'on the ground' again.

Her (making fun of him): Well I thought you was a Green Beret [which he was] that slept on the ground all over Vietnam!?

Him: Well, there was million NVA trying to kill my ass, then...

...and I ain't doing that shit no more, either.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 03:14 PM   #19
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexobon View Post
If a snake still gets in, well then who needs sleep!
Fixed it.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote