lumberjim
I can hear my ears

i've been faxing them to him.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 03:20 PM   #17
Jeboduuza
Custom User Title

cuz dad's know what guys are about.
Most guys (not necessarily you or anyone here) are about gettin some action, some poon tang, some booty like a pirate. im not lyin. i been to collge and so has errbody else.
the fathers know what a guys mind is like. and he'd be damnd if he cant protect this daughter from it.

pretty universal theme, i think.
yeah i generalize guys. but im right too suckaz
Old 06-11-2007, 04:06 PM   #18
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

I'd suggest you ignore him as much as possible.

No, really.

In this day and age, in the USA, you don't get to choose whom your adult child will have sex with and/or marry. (I assume she's an adult or close to it if she's going to college this fall.) Like it or not, that's what we as fathers have to deal with with our daughters. And while we'd generally prefer that our daughters not let shiftless, no-good, leeching, fuckwit scumbags put their penises in them (as Hime so eloquently says), we can't really make that choice for them, much as we'd sometimes like to. Ultimately, what we really want is for our kids to be happy.

And at some point, he will see that you're making his daughter happy, and he will accept you as a reality in his family even if he doesn't like you. Or, he will see that you're making her happy and he just really doesn't give a damn. If that's the case, I hate to say it, but she's then going to have to choose between you and him. That's ugly, but that may be the way it is. But you're not at the stage yet, so just cool your jets and worry about building a good relationship with your girlfriend.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 04:23 PM   #19
freshnesschronic
Professor

Thanks, SteveDallas. That understanding helps a lot.
freshnesschronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 08:08 AM   #20
Dagney
The Prodigal Brat Returneth

Does he have a cellar account?

if he does, that answers all my questions.

Dagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 12:12 PM   #21
Yznhymr
the crowd goes wild!

Someone earlier mentioned respect. That's the key. My daughter is still in high school, and whenever a boy comes-a-callin, and it seems they will start seeing each other exclusively, I have "the talk" with him before he ever takes her on a date alone. I essentially cover two topics...first, he will show her respect or he can hit the road. Second, do not change to make her like him. He needs to be honest with her and not change who he is, else he will regret it later. So the talk is really to let him know he needs to respect himself before he can respect her. I have seen too many cases where a guy decided to change himself to be liked and it caused a lot of stress later for everyone involved.

So my advice to you would be the same. Respect yourself by being yourself, then respect her. Dad's can see right through an act.
"The pride system tends to intensify the self-hate against which it is supposed to be a defense, since any failure to live up to one's tyrannical shoulds or of the world to honor one's claims leads to feelings of worthlessness." Bernard J. Paris, Ph.D.
Yznhymr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 06:22 PM   #22
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Cleaning a shotgun while giving that speech makes it much more effective.
piercehawkeye45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 11:09 PM   #23
rkzenrage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveDallas View Post
I'd suggest you ignore him as much as possible.

No, really.

In this day and age, in the USA, you don't get to choose whom your adult child will have sex with and/or marry. (I assume she's an adult or close to it if she's going to college this fall.) Like it or not, that's what we as fathers have to deal with with our daughters. And while we'd generally prefer that our daughters not let shiftless, no-good, leeching, fuckwit scumbags put their penises in them (as Hime so eloquently says), we can't really make that choice for them, much as we'd sometimes like to. Ultimately, what we really want is for our kids to be happy.

And at some point, he will see that you're making his daughter happy, and he will accept you as a reality in his family even if he doesn't like you. Or, he will see that you're making her happy and he just really doesn't give a damn. If that's the case, I hate to say it, but she's then going to have to choose between you and him. That's ugly, but that may be the way it is. But you're not at the stage yet, so just cool your jets and worry about building a good relationship with your girlfriend.
I agree.
I was always respectful and polite up-front... but they get one chance to blow it just like I do, but did not give a damn if they liked me or not and made that clear just like they do.
I will teach my son the same.
There just is no reason to.
& if the girl is not smart enough to think for herself and stand up to him if he does not like you, I don't want to date her.
My wife's step-father HATED me and I laughed in his face , in his house, when he taunted me. It was funny. There is nothing disrespectful about laughing at someone and thanking them when they are calling you a "punk"... it's supposed to be a joke and compliment.
There is nothing in this world that has less worth than another's opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by piercehawkeye45 View Post
Cleaning a shotgun while giving that speech makes it much more effective.
And more comical, that happened to me once, we ended-up talking guns for over an hour, pissing-off the girls.

I was always about the mom's, brought them flowers and was always nice to them... they were where the keys to the kingdom were kept.

Last edited by rkzenrage; 06-16-2007 at 11:15 PM.
Old 06-16-2007, 11:14 PM   #24
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

i once took a girl out.....not even a date.....just picked her up to go out with a group of friends.....and her dad carded me. yeah. i was 17, but i had a full beard. he was sure i was over 21 and was going to pump his little girl full of beer....and dna, probably. ex marine.....napoleon syndrome....etc. . .

I have hardly any recollection of early encounters with jinx's folks.....been sooooo long now. 15+ years. wow. i'm ooooold.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 11:23 PM   #25
rkzenrage

I had the same problem, but more extreme, with my current wife.
I had age make-up on in the show we were doing. Her parents were unfamiliar with stage and film "tricks" and were convinced that she was dating an old man... it was a week before they could meet me.
It did not get much better though... I had very long hair, a leather jacket, pants, etc, with all the religions represented on the back with the "Immaculate Deception" tagged on the bottom, in graffiti style. Her step-father was a preacher. They found out I was one of her college teachers... she just turned 18. In fact, the first adjunct teacher for the acting class for that college. It was only her second show at that college.
Ahhhh... good times!
I did not date her until after the class BTW, it was her idea, I sent her away three times. I am made of flesh and bone ya' know.