The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 09-27-2017, 03:46 PM   #1
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Deja vue Katrina

Capt Nora Tyson maneuvered the USS Bataan, an amphibious aircraft carrier, into position to rescue victims of Katrina. And there it sat anchored about 100 miles off shore and unable to offer assistance because a president did nothing for five days. Due to a Posse Comitatus Act, Federal troops cannot be deployed unless permitted by the President under Title 10. Since George Jr and his administration did nothing for five days, then the USS Bataan sat anchored at sea off of New Orleans mostly doing only reconnaissance - anchored nearby to Navy ships from The Netherlands, Canada, and Mexico also there to rescue victims.

When George Jr finally authorized military assistance, then both the USS Bataan and USS Iwo Jima (that arrived from Norfolk) steamed up the Mississippi to dock within blocks of the Super Dome and convention center. Finally six operating rooms and facilities to fed 10,000 people daily got implemented - how many days after they were available?

Eventually, even the USS Comfort, a hospital ship, was deployed. But that was over a week after Katrina did its damage. Because it was desperately needed a week earlier.

What could aircraft carriers do that was most needed? Recharge radios for police, fire, and other civilian authorities who had no communication.

One would think this would never happen again. Puerto Rico is now five days with almost no Federal Assistance. Unfortunately the press cannot get there - no roads exist - to or on island. But it is an island. A perfect location for aircraft carriers all over the Atlantic and Gulf to deploy immediate assistance.

Instead another mental midget president wants to attack the NFL rather than deploy what that island desperately needs - supplies, fuel, transport, and hospitals that lie in abundance on so many nearby and underemployed aircraft carriers and other Navy ships.

The difference? Reporters could get into New Orleans immediately to see who the problem really was. Puerto Rico can only be accessed by air. Even an air traffic control station atop Puerto Rico's highest mountain is damaged and unavailable for days. And it takes days for the National Guard to chop (clear) an access road. And then repairs can be implemented. Meaning is it difficult to air in desperately needed supplies.

But aircraft carriers already have those supplies and could have been there on day one. It required a president and his staff to be moderates - not wacko extremists. "You are doing a good job Brownie" as people were dying even from no water. Deja vue.

Assistance that could happen in hours if a president had less contempt for over 3 million Americans in Puerto Rico. He even blames them for damage to 'obsolete infrastructure' rather than deploy assistance.

Sound just like the Beverly Hills Supper Club where hundreds were harmed or died in a fire. Then victims were blamed for their own death by a government report. Do we still elected people that dumb?

85% of all problems are directly traceable to top management. Since this president (as dumb as the people who support him) instead blames the victims, then 99% of all problems are directly traceable to him.

Well he finally authorized military assistance. For example, less than a third of Puerto Rico's hospitals are functional. So today, the USS Comfort was finally ordered to deploy. It sat in Norfolk for five days doing nothing. It is a slow ship. It will take many more days to get there. It could have been there long ago if a president was intelligent rather than egotistical. And was working for America - not for his own promotion and ego.

Why did he finally authorize assistance? Uproar criticism on Twitter was too much to ignore. If he did not do something, then even the dumbest Americans, his supporters, might finally learn how mistaken they have been.

Deja vue Katrina. This time the mental midget president is Trump. Hurricane that demonstrated what his real agenda is: Maria.

Last edited by tw; 09-27-2017 at 03:51 PM.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 05:17 PM   #2
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

But to be fair, Trump doesn't have any investments in Puerto Rico.
Old 09-27-2017, 05:32 PM   #3
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Not to mention he doesn't drink; so, no ships were sent in to rescue the remaining fine Puerto Rican rum which should've been an obvious priority.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 05:48 PM   #4
tw

Well someone had to go to the mountaintop (and fix the air traffic control station) so that Trump can visit.
Old 09-28-2017, 03:34 PM   #5
Pamela
Deplorable

OK, this will not stand unchallenged.

President Trump authorized USNS Comfort a full three days before the hurricane hit that island. It takes five days to fuel, load out and get the Comfort underway. Then it took days more to clear a dock, which due to that ship's design, is required for it to anchor and offload.

The President has done way more than he gets credit for for the people of Puerto Rico, and, IMO, more than they deserve.

They are sitting down there, whining that no one is helping them yet not one is lifting one finger to help themselves. No one is trying to clear the streets so that aid convoys can get through, no one is showing up to drive trucks with the supplies that were PRESTAGED there in anticipation of the disaster. And the press is gleefully lapping all this up as a chance to bash the President. (I will NEVER get tired of saying that!)

So take your CNN talking points and shove em, tw.
Pamela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 05:14 PM   #6
glatt

If you have looked at the NOAA imagery, the roads are largely cleared, around the coastal areas at least, and cars are driving around. A small number of planes are landing. Apartment buildings are looking undamaged but single family homes are pretty bad.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 07:05 PM   #7
sexobon

Hmmm, President Trump used to own the Miss America pageant.

You don't suppose this has anything to do with anything do you?

Did Miss Puerto Rico mock Trump in her Miss America monologue?

The Donald has a long memory for things like that.
Old 09-28-2017, 07:52 PM   #8
tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamela View Post
President Trump authorized USNS Comfort a full three days before the hurricane hit that island. It takes five days to fuel, load out and get the Comfort underway. Then it took days more to clear a dock, which due to that ship's design, is required for it to anchor and offload.
From the Virginian Pilot of 26 Sept 2017:
Quote:
The Navy's hospital ship USNS Comfort will depart Naval Station Norfolk by the weekend and head to Hurricane Maria-ravaged Puerto Rico, U.S. Fleet Forces Command spokesman Lt. Cmdr. Brian Wierzbicki said Tuesday.
Completely contradicts what has been heard on wacko extremist talk shows.

On 28 September, USNS Comfort is at 36.93354 N / 76.33005 W - still in Norfolk. Has not moved for 8 days after Hurricane Maria hit Puerto Rico. Or 10 days after this hurricane was a Category 5 that would definitely hit Puerto Rico or US Virgin Islands. Here we are 10 days after an impending disaster (just like Katrina) was clearly known. The USNS Comfort still has not moved.

Cruise ships unload thousands of passengers, restock and refuel the ship, and load thousands more passengers in less than a day. Who is this extremist who said it takes three days to load and fuel (not even first unload) a navy ship? Well, a dumb administration never ordered any deployment until six days after the entire island was devastated. So everything must be done from scratch. A week after an impending disaster, no planning had been done. None. In part, because a President must first authorize it. Instead, he was too busy attacking the NFL.

USNS Comfort will probably arrive on 4 Oct. 14 days after Hurricane Maria's damage needed it deployed. 17 days after an impending disaster was known. George Jr also did same with with an Indian Ocean tsunami and with Katrina. Trump failed to learn from those glaring mistakes? Trump took six days just to admit a problem existed. It says so much about who this guy is AND how brainwashed his supporters are.

From the New York Daily News of 28 Sept 2017:
Quote:
On Wednesday, the Pentagon announced Brig. Gen. Jeffrey Buchanan would oversee the military response in Puerto Rico.
It took this president seven days to finally assign a military commander for the response? Exactly, if one is not so poorly informed and uneducated by extremist news sources. Trump did nothing for almost a week.

From Gen Honore who is famous for his response in New Orleans:
Quote:
"His (Buchanan's) headquarters exists 365 days a year, just for this mission," Honore told CNN on Thursday. "It took us eight days to mobilize him to tell him to come do it."
When did Trump take his first disaster briefing in the Situation Room? 26 September 2017 - six days after the disaster.

Trump said,
Quote:
"This is an island sitting in the middle of an ocean. And it's a big ocean; it's a very big ocean."
That Atlantic Ocean is virtually an American lake. Best rescue equipment and supplies are easiest to deliver. The Atlantic Ocean means best equipment can arrive quickly and sit right off the coast for immediately deployment. Trump even lies about the Atlantic to avert obvious incompetence.

From The Guardian of 26 Sept 2017:
Quote:
But it took the president five full days to respond to the plight of the US territory. When he finally did so on Monday night, his comments on Twitter were so devoid of empathy it threatened to spark new controversy.
Even UK news sources report on Trump's inaction and ignorance.

Anyone can see that Trump spend time arguing about NFL players and completely ignored what is obviously his 'Katrina'. Anyone who is honest.

Now if Trump will only say "Your doing a good job Brownie." Then maybe reality will be so obvious.

Pamela - as a die hard Trump supporter, reality must be traumatic. You are not ready to admit this president's incompetence. Never forget his objective all through his life. Same as Nixon's. America is second to what is more relevant - #1 - he and his legacy. His legacy first.
Old 09-28-2017, 08:42 PM   #9
sexobon

Hmmm, I've read that the Navy already had two amphibious ships off the coast, the USS Kearsarge and the USS Oak Hill, so the few thousand Marines and sailors aboard could launch relief operations.

Also, that more than 40 of the island's 69 hospitals were now accepting patients.

It's being said that the call for the Comfort has become just a symbol to send more: more food, more water, more generators, more aircraft ... more everything.

More will take time and since they're having to rebuild the distribution system to deliver the goods to the interior, they have time to get the Comfort there.
Old 09-28-2017, 09:13 PM   #10
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I should hope and expect that the POTUS is not actually in charge of making these decisions. I hope there is not a big table with model ships and a little rake that he uses to move them around the globe. That would be a terrible system of governance. Surely it comes down to someone else had the job of making the decision and did not want to offend the boss, or something like that. Which is effectively the same thing.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 11:43 PM   #11
sexobon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
... I hope there is not a big table with model ships and a little rake that he uses to move them around the globe. ...
I doubt he moves them around himself. He probably brings Ivanka as his croupière and she's like the Vana White of the command center.
Old 09-29-2017, 06:50 AM   #12
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
I should hope and expect that the POTUS is not actually in charge of making these decisions. I hope there is not a big table with model ships and a little rake that he uses to move them around the globe. That would be a terrible system of governance. Surely it comes down to someone else had the job of making the decision and did not want to offend the boss, or something like that. Which is effectively the same thing.
This is interesting to me. There was a big movement toward professionalism in the government around the time of the Teddy Roosevelt administration with examinations to weed out incompetence but we still have each changing administration putting their Brownies on top of professional organizations. Seats go unfilled or get Betsy DeVosed when the idea of good government is not on the agenda. The new administrators should reflect what the voters asked for in their president but let's face it, shit is fucked up and it's kind of on purpose.
Old 09-29-2017, 08:36 AM   #13
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Also, there was a naval base in Puerto Rico until 15 years ago but it was protested by the locals and some of the left until the Navy packed up and departed.

I'm not saying. Really I'm not. This is just background information.
Old 09-29-2017, 08:53 AM   #14
tw

Quote:
I should hope and expect that the POTUS is not actually in charge of making these decisions.
Posse Comitatus Act, Federal troops cannot be deployed unless permitted by the President under Title 10. So the USS Bataan sat outside unused for five days. The president did not authorize Federal troops to deploy.

Same has apparently happened in Puerto Rico. President did nothing for six days.

"His (Buchanan's) headquarters exists 365 days a year, just for this mission," However he can do nothing until the president does something this simple - authorizes it.

Honore bypassed that law in New Orleans. He deployed his units on a training mission - a deployment to New Orleans. Because everyone knew that disaster was coming. Then his people were in position to be activated by a presidential order - that did not happen for five days.
Old 09-29-2017, 09:48 AM   #15
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I should hope and expect that the POTUS is not actually in charge of making these decisions. Surely it comes down to someone else had the job of making the decision and did not want to offend the boss, or something like that. Which is effectively the same thing.