The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Food and Drink
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Food and Drink Essential to sustain life; near the top of the hierarchy of needs

Old 05-23-2006, 06:26 PM   #16
laebedahs
Abecedarian

Ah, sauerkraut. Great stuff. Before you eat it with a sausage, however, I invite you to first try it with a good, solid boneless pork loin. Bake the pork loin with the sauerkraut. Slice the pork loin 1/2" to 3/4" per piece after cooking. And for the love of god, don't break it up and cook it in a pot with the sauerkraut. That just ruins the natural pork flavor and allows the sauerkraut taste to overwhelm the pork. Cut and serve, do not cut, cook, and serve.

My grandmother was half german and knew how to (and regularly made, each year) fresh sauerkraut from her cabbages of her garden. Unfortunately, she passed away in '96, along with the recipe how to make the sauerkraut, in addition to good Yorkshire puddings (to this day, no one can replicate how she made them). We still had quite a few jars a few years after she passed though. I remember seeing her make it once in her kitchen. Wow, the smell was quite pungent.
laebedahs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 07:45 PM   #17
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

We make rubens with swirled lite and dark rye bread ( hard for us to find here , but WORTH the hunt !!!) , put a little horse raddish in the thousand island dressing ( just for a little bit of a SNAP ) , corned beer , GOOD swiss , butter the sides and pan toast it untill JUST brown , YUMMMMMMY !!!!!
That and a Killians or Guinnes for St Pattys day and you have the bases covered !!!

eats fresh sauerkraut mit peanut butter on crackers. gack.
Old 05-23-2006, 08:04 PM   #18
Dagney
The Prodigal Brat Returneth

We make our sauerkraut with apples, onions, brown sugar and a little water. Pork loin or sausages, depending.

And always with taters.

Dagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 08:11 PM   #19
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
I am only three hours drive from NYC and a hundred all night delis where I can get the best ruebens money can buy.

That and a dollar will get me a cup of coffee.
Old 05-24-2006, 11:04 AM   #20
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Look-I'm just gonna grill Big Red Smokey's with 'kraut and fageddabouit.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 11:14 AM   #21
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot
I am only three hours drive from NYC and a hundred all night delis where I can get the best ruebens money can buy.

That and a dollar will get me a cup of coffee.
Not in NYC it won't. I don't think they've had a dollar cup of coffee since before the dotcom bubble burst.

Speaking of which ... if you're three hours from NYC, how far from Phila are you?

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 02:13 PM   #22
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
Not in NYC it won't. I don't think they've had a dollar cup of coffee since before the dotcom bubble burst.

Speaking of which ... if you're three hours from NYC, how far from Phila are you?
Well not at 'bucky's, but a few of your local korean delis have java for 1.15.

I am three hours from nyc plus however far nyc is from philly. As I recall it is about two hours. I haven't been to philly in a while. I always liked it, despite what w.c. fields had to say.

I was at the mummers day parade in 1976. Holy smoke. I saw cops on horseback passing bud tall boys back and forth, smoking weed. It was also unbelievably cold.
Old 05-24-2006, 03:00 PM   #23
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I was asking mostly because I had it in my head for some reason that you were one of the west-coasters. Not sure why.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 08:34 PM   #24
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
I was asking mostly because I had it in my head for some reason that you were one of the west-coasters. Not sure why.
The very, very, very, west coast of vermont. more west. a bit more. OK, you're no longer in vermont; now you're in upstate new york.

If vermont was california, I'd be in hawaii. Or in a boat heading to hawaii. Or at anchor.
Old 05-25-2006, 07:08 PM   #25
zippyt

Wolf , you know what they say ,
"no matter where ya go , there ya are !!!"
Old 05-26-2006, 11:17 AM   #26
seakdivers
Icy Queen

I'm not a big fan of rye bread so I make my "reubens" with sourdough. Sooooo goood!!! The sourdough and the sauerkraut really go good together.

now I'm hungry.....
seakdivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 01:54 PM   #27
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Ya know what would be good? Sourdough with carraway seeds!
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 04:27 PM   #28
bluecuracao
in a mood, not cupcake

Mmmmm, I loooove reubens...without sauerkraut, that is. Yes, I get weird looks from the deli counter lady when I order them.
bluecuracao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 09:36 PM   #29
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

bread
Old 05-26-2006, 09:49 PM   #30
zippyt

corned beef