The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Food and Drink

Food and Drink Essential to sustain life; near the top of the hierarchy of needs

Old 07-16-2010, 02:06 PM   #226
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

HB BL!
Old 07-17-2010, 08:26 AM   #227
matingara
Rapscallion

Quote:
Originally Posted by sad_winslow View Post
who said i'm worried about them? Just acknowledging that they were there, and in some excess given how much I ate that day. But really, in general I find that it's not so much what I eat in terms of macronutrients so much as it is how much I take in overall in terms of calories. whether it's a block of lard or a pot of spaghetti, if the total caloric intake is below metabolic needs then weight gain just can't happen, i don't think. on the other hand when you go from eating just a little to a sudden large boost of protein, fat, and carbohydrates, that's when the body can do the "starvation mode" thing and try to save it for later. but if your intake goes back to being low, it'll go away again.

the truckload of salt is just the extra kick in the cahones to make you feel icky about it later when your mouth is dry and your blood pressure skyrockets. but man it tastes good.
we are all different and that is nice. i don't count calories. i just eat until i am full.

i don't restrict salt and my blood pressure is always wonderful.

i am 5' 10". about 165 pounds. 55 years under my belt - (pun intended).

my lipid panel is stunning. my hba1c is in the non-diabetic range despite my having an impaired carbohydrate mechanism.

the only way i can do this is with a little insulin and a restricted carb diet.

that is how it works for me...

-- joel.
matingara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 08:32 AM   #228
matingara
Rapscallion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae Girl View Post
Carbs aren't known (proven) to cause heart disease.
Every sucessful weight-loss programme I've been on has been high-carb.
When I'm eating healthily I am pretty much a vegetarian and get almost all of my protein from carbs (save a few dairy products).

Like anything else, complex carbohydrates are not the demon. Over-eating is the demon. I spit on the bogus claims of Atkins, which has encouraged people to stay away from high-fibre food.
as i said. we are all different. i was slim and healthy for a long time on a low fat, high carb diet.

then, at age 45 or so, my lipids stated to blow out and my weight went up and my pancreas decided to go on strike.

now i am healthier than i have been for years. i have lost weight and kept it off for three years by simply restricting carbs to 30-50 grams per day.

the good thing about this is i can eat fat and protein and it makes me full and keeps me full. now i just keep eating until i am no longer hungry.

so, in my case, the only number i have to watch is the amount of carbs i eat.

-- joel.
Old 07-17-2010, 08:18 PM   #229
sad_winslow
Big McLargeHuge

you're right, of course, we're all different to some degree or another in our metabolic requirements.

if your ability to process carbs is restricted, then eating just carbs isn't gonna be good for you. course you still won't get fat - you'll just die, which is a bit drastic for losing weight. still, physics and chemistry tell us that, overall, you can't get more energy out of a system than you put into it. to put it another, slightly more extreme way: that's how anorexia works. definitely not advocating eating disorders nor making light of them, but there comes a point where it doesn't matter what you eat if you're not meeting your over metabolic requirements. there's a line between "starvation" and "overfed" that can be met with varying difficulty and that is where, I think, the differences between individuals come into play more than anything.

That being said, woo, I dropped 7 lbs in two weeks, despite that pizza. At 6', I'm now 230 lbs. 200 is my goal.

also for dinner, to keep things relevant? I have no clue. I'm up for suggestions. Lunch was rice with imitation crab, soy sauce, sesame seed and spicy garlic chili sauce.
sad_winslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 03:36 AM   #230
matingara
Rapscallion

for dinner tonight i am making greek lamb. i have marinated the lamb for 24 hours in olive oil, oregano. paprika and garlic.

i have roasted that for an hour in foil at 180C.

it is resting now.

later on i will shave the meat off and fry it in olive oil to make it crispy.

we will have that with a huge green salad. the girls have tortillas to wrap the meat and salad i, i have some low carb wraps 3g per wrap for mine.

smells awfully good here at the moment.

-- joel.
Old 07-18-2010, 01:25 PM   #231
fargon
Person who doesn't update the user title

We are having southern fried bunny.
Heavily medicated for the good of mankind.
fargon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 01:42 PM   #232
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by matingara View Post
for dinner tonight i am making greek lamb. i have marinated the lamb for 24 hours in olive oil, oregano. paprika and garlic.

<snip>

smells awfully good here at the moment.

-- joel.
And your GPS coordinates are ?
We'll be right there.
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 01:56 PM   #233
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

meatloaf and au gratin 'taters.

For the boy - who will be home around one-ish after a long afternoon of scooping ice cream.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 04:22 PM   #234
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Chicken with Blackberry Bourbon Sauce

I found a bag of blackberries in the freezer when I went hunting for the chicken and decided it was time to make use of them. I also added a bit of blackberry jam to the bourbon to make a more saucy sauce. Served over exotic rices (brown, wild, red, and some other kind of hippie rice).

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 08:56 AM   #235
matingara
Rapscallion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplighter View Post
And your GPS coordinates are ?
We'll be right there.
it was darn good. all gone now. of, course, i just realized my iphone gives me these coordinates.

bad luck eh?

Old 07-22-2010, 08:08 AM   #236
bbro
Insert witty comment here

Southwest King Ranch Casserole was last night and today for lunch.

I ended up using Herdez salsa verde instead of tomatillo sauce and I think it worked just fine.

Here is a picture for Sky, but I don't have the recipe on me. You can find it on Amazon if you search for the Whole Foods cookbook then look inside. Search for King Ranch and there it is. It was supposed to be in an 8x8 pan, but I didn't think it would fit. I think next time, I am going to take all the ingredients except the salsa verde and make enchiladas with it. Or maybe try putting it in a loaf pan.
Attached Images

bbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 10:57 AM   #237
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Southwest King Ranch Casserole? I wonder if they have a Northeast King Ranch Csserole, for the King Ranch holdings here in PA?
Old 07-22-2010, 11:37 AM   #238
bbro

It would probably have pierogies and kielbasa somewhere in it. If you want to get more northeast, maybe crab instead of chicken

Now I want Pierogie lasagna!
Old 07-22-2010, 11:44 AM   #239
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbro View Post

Now I want Pierogie lasagna!
OMG such a thing exists? I think I just had premature foodjaculation.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:49 AM   #240
bbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123 View Post
OMG such a thing exists? I think I just had premature foodjaculation.
Yes. Yes it does

http://crepesofwrath.net/2008/12/09/pierogi-lasagna/