Sometimes 3 13.04%
Beebly (not gonna answer. Nuh uh!) 0 0%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-07-2014, 10:58 AM   #31
Lola Bunny
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
I only gave $6 for the watch, iirc. I think, if you buy your battery at Wal-Mart they change it for you for free.
Oh yeah....I forgot about that. The lady told me that when she was going to charge me $7 to change the battery on a $5 watch I bought at Target. Hehe....anyways, I decided to toss that watch, since it's old anyways, and bought another $5 watch at Wal-mart and get free of charge battery change in the future. However, I forgot about it and when the stupid watch ran out of battery after half a year or so later, I tossed it. Nothing goes for $5 anymore. I put out $20 for something nicer, so I won't mind putting out $7 for battery in the future. By the way, it's one of those digital watch usually worn for sports.
Lola Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 09:07 AM   #32
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

The batteries they have at jewelry counters in places like Walmart, Sears, Penny's...etc. are usually new old stock with much of their shelf life gone. That's why they guaranty the batteries they change for only one year. The battery expiration date may be just shortly after that. It makes you go back every year for another battery change.

I bought a watch case opener (like this one) for about $6 to change the battery myself. If the jewelry counter salesperson can do it, you can do it. It takes even less time to do it yourself than to go to the store and wait for someone else to do it for you. I buy fresh batteries from someplace with a high turnover rate (like Walgreens), so they haven't lost much of their storage life and won't reach their expiration date (printed on the battery package) for another 4 years. I change the batteries only once every 3 years and never have a watch stop because the battery went dead.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 09:55 AM   #33
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Never? You change the battery when it isn't dead yet?
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 10:19 AM   #34
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

My watches last for decades; so, I already know how long they'll operate on a fresh battery. Replacing the battery every 3 years gets it done both before it reaches its expiration and before watch operation drains it completely. Additionally, I get to do it at my convenience without being inconvenienced by a stopped watch. The cost of a battery (<$8) defrayed over 3 years just isn't a deterrent. Why go coach when for a nickel more you can go first class.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 07:26 PM   #35
Lola Bunny
Junior Master Dwellar

My watches run a long time. I have a friend who can change the battery for me. I asks him to change the batteries to my expensive watches and the inexpensive one, I go to a store. It lasts like 5 years or so more, so it does't bother me to pay a little for it.
Lola Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 03:21 AM   #36
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

The Henry Graves Supercomplication watch ...
Old 11-12-2014, 10:42 AM   #37
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

I have several but I wear none.
Old 11-12-2014, 10:48 AM   #38
Beest
Adapt and Survive

Quote:
Originally Posted by limey View Post
Not a wristwatch, but I guess that wasn't specified.

For several years as a teen I 'wore' a pocket watch, I sewed special loops on my jeans for the chain. I bought the watches from a jeweler, but they only lasted 18 months or so, I got through several.
Beest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 11:32 AM   #39
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Why only 18 months, because they were cheap watches or because you beat them up?
You know, like twirling them on a chain to win the heart of fair maiden monster.