The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Food and Drink
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Food and Drink Essential to sustain life; near the top of the hierarchy of needs

Old 04-25-2013, 12:48 PM   #16
bbro
Insert witty comment here

I picked up my steak at lunch - Choice Boneless Ribeye Steak (at least that's what it says on the pkg) that looks similar to the strip that I liked. I actually went cheap cause this thing cost 15/per pound -the other cuts were insane!! I actually didn't even get a whole pound - it is just me after all and reheated steak never tastes as good. Will post a picture of my dinner later
Old 04-25-2013, 01:12 PM   #17
Pete Zicato
Turns out my CRS is a symptom of TMB.

Oh I love me some leftover steak sandwich. Slice it up and lay it out with tomato, salt and real mayo. Mmmmmm.

Talk nerdy to me.
Pete Zicato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:41 PM   #18
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbro View Post
I picked up my steak at lunch - Choice Boneless Ribeye Steak (at least that's what it says on the pkg) that looks similar to the strip that I liked. I actually went cheap cause this thing cost 15/per pound -the other cuts were insane!! I actually didn't even get a whole pound - it is just me after all and reheated steak never tastes as good. Will post a picture of my dinner later
You've saved me half the post I had in mind for you bbro--good for you and all the other innocent bystanders--choosing the right steak. Boneless Ribeye is a great cut; I like a New York Strip the best, but the ribeye's great. Now, the important part is preparing it well.

How thick is your steak? I hope it's at least an inch thick, that's a minimum for me otherwise it's too easy to overcook. An overcooked steak is a shame and it's pretty easy to do. Don't. You already know you don't like overcooked steak, you said so above "reheated steak never tastes as good". That's twice cooked steak. Ok, so, here we go.

The key is to get the internal temperature up to 130 to 140 degrees, not more unless you like your meat drier and less flavorful. Also, having a nice sear, approaching a char in places on the surface of the steak is crucial. Naturally, the surface will feel more heat than 130 degrees, no problem. It is possible, though difficult to get the middle up to temp and get a nice crust on the outside with just a grill or a pan. Really difficult, because our civilian cooking equipment just can't get hot enough to cooking it fast enough. Plus, timing is everything. The meat will continue to cook even after it's off the heat, and this coasting can carry you up and irrevocably over the optimum temperature. I recently learned of a cooking method that works for my normal kitchen gear and produces, by far, the best steak ever. It's called sous vide and it means cooking in a vacuum.

Here's how. You take your steak, put it in a vacuum bag if you have one, and if you don't, put it in a ziploc bag and squeeze out all the air. Then you put the bagged steak in a large pot of water that's kept at the desired temperature (I like 130 for a rare to medium rare steak) for at least an hour. What you're trying to accomplish is to get the meat to temp through and through but not over. If the pot of water's only 130, it can't be overcooked! Then, when you're almost ready to plate the steak, take it out and sear it in a very hot cast iron skillet with oil. HOT, smoking hot, and a minute or two on each side will get that nice brown crust but not overcook the center.

I've just skimmed the process, you should really read some of the links, they talk about salting the meat, having the exhaust fans running before you get the skillet cherry red (kidding, that's a little too hot, but not kidding about the exhaust fans, turn them all on high to start), etc.

I've done this a few times now, and it's easier and more controllable and more consistent than direct grilling or pan grilling.

Here are a couple links to give you more info on sous vide preparation. I strongly urge you to give this a try, you will love it.

DIY Sous Vide

Sous-Vide 101

Useful Serious Eats link about Grilling Steaks

The Serious Eats and LifeHacker sites are gold mines, no, cornucopia for ingenious and delicious recipes and techniques. Go crazy.

As for how to finish the steak, I like mine seasoned with salt and pepper only. For a fine cut like ribeye, anything more is a distraction. Let the steak rest for about ten minutes before you cut it or eat it.

And don't forget the pictures. Dang, now I'm hungry!
Old 04-25-2013, 02:37 PM   #19
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
Then, when you're almost ready to plate the steak, take it out and sear it in a very hot cast iron skillet with oil. HOT, smoking hot...
Then that should be olive oil.
Old 04-25-2013, 03:13 PM   #20
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite monkey View Post
I don't know what being tossed off is, but I bet we didn't do it.
buffing the bishop
spanking the cheetah
rocking the little man in the canoe
clubbing the calm
polishing the pink pearl
Old 04-25-2013, 03:15 PM   #21
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Light olive oil.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:36 PM   #22
bbro

An hour?? WTH - I am fat and hungry Dammit!! On the serious side, I wouldn't trust my stove to keep a steady temperature like that. I have heard of sous-vide before, just never attempted it.

I have eaten and it was glorious. Working on the pic now. Trying to decide on just dinner or a beefy glorious post.

Last edited by bbro; 04-25-2013 at 05:43 PM.
bbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:30 PM   #23
bbro

I went with the beefy glorious.

Steak all wrapped up waiting to be cooked

Steak in all it's glory

Halfway cooked

Completely done

Sliced - after resting about 7 minutes

Dinner

Some detail: I heated up the pan on 6 or 7 until hot. I actually left it on longer than I usually do. I put some kosher salt and freshly ground pepper on the steak and threw it in - no oil, no butter, just beef. I didn't touch it until I turned it (Halfway cooked above). I cooked it a little longer, but since I didn't time the first cooking, I wasn't sure. Just went with my gut. It was still juicy when I took it out. I let it rest for about 7 minutes until I sliced it.

OMFG! It was so tender, it practically melted in my mouth. It took all of my will power not to go back for me.....in fact, I should probably put it away
Old 04-25-2013, 07:15 PM   #24
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

You get an A+. That looks absolutely delicious!

I don't know about your butcher though, that looks like a NY Strip steak to me, my favorite.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:23 PM   #25
Pete Zicato
Turns out my CRS is a symptom of TMB.

Looks delicious, bro.

Talk nerdy to me.
Pete Zicato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:33 PM   #26
bbro

V - Thanks. That's what I thought! Would that have made a difference in the price? I just went to a place that I thought would have the best meat. He was a bit of a dick, though. I tried to ask him if that was supposed to be a strip, but he wasn't picking up what I was putting down. I just knew I wanted it

Thanks Pete
Old 04-25-2013, 07:41 PM   #27
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Beefy glorious is always the way to go.
The more photos the better.

That looks absolutely delish.
If I hadn't had my quota of red meat for a whole year, you'd have me salivating right now.
And I don't say that to all the boys...

Last edited by Sundae; 04-25-2013 at 07:52 PM.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:49 PM   #28
bbro

LOL - Thanks Sundae. Not a boy though. The only beef I have for you is what you can buy at the store
Old 04-25-2013, 07:53 PM   #29
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I know you're not a boy bbro.
Was just trying to remove potential smut from an innocent message

(I do say that to all the boys in fact.)
Old 04-25-2013, 07:55 PM   #30
Reg
If it's free, I'll have two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae View Post
Glatt, you need to be dragged up in a rookery like me.
If it's free, take it.
Blimey, if it's not nailed down, take it.

I try to remember to take takeaway boxes to any venue where I don't expect to finish the food.
Chops on your good manners, though.
If it's free, we'll have two.
Reg is offline   Reply With Quote