The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > The Internet

The Internet Web sites, web development, email, chat, bandwidth, the net and society

Old 05-18-2012, 12:01 AM   #16
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Quote:
Windows Vista and 7 users - Click Start
and where is this "start" you speak of? Are you grasping the magnitude yet?

Quote:
If you manage to mess that up, please post screenshots
As if I knew how to do that. lol
I know peeps who know stuff. If my comp stops working - I'll trust them to handle it.
Old 05-18-2012, 07:03 AM   #17
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman
Oh dear - I had to reboot just because I thought about doing that.
You have no idea how badly I could eff that up.
For example - "Open up the command (CMD) window"
I have NO IDEA how to even do THAT!
Well sure, the procedure is even safer if you don't do it. I'm just saying, you're not editing the registry or anything where one wrong keystroke sends things into oblivion. You can't break anything just by opening a command window.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 01:19 PM   #18
Cyber Wolf
As stable as a ring of PU-239

Location: On a huge rock covered in water, highly advanced moss and 7 billion parasites
Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
and where is this "start" you speak of? Are you grasping the magnitude yet?
Oh, I fully understand. I deal with users of this magnitude on a daily basis.

"I don't see why it matters what is written. Not when it's about people. It can always be crossed out." ~Adam Young, Good Omens
Cyber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 01:30 PM   #19
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Tankyouveddymuch!

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 01:59 PM   #20
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Hey Cyber? (or anybody else who would know)

My list of stuffs don't look exactly like your list of stuffs, but, I only show one DNS Server - 10.0.0.1.

Do I need to get with my ISP, or am I good to go or what? (I'm not really sure of the difference between static and dynamic as applicable to IP addresses. Dynamic changes every time I log on?)

I woulda posted a screen shot, but, I'm paranoid and don't know what to hide and what's ok for the world to see.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:20 PM   #21
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

I ran through the test at the link in the OP ( http://www.dcwg.org ). It's legit, as far as I can tell. That is the most straightforward way to check to see if you're in "trouble".
Old 05-22-2012, 05:12 PM   #22
Cyber Wolf
As stable as a ring of PU-239

Location: On a huge rock covered in water, highly advanced moss and 7 billion parasites
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
Hey Cyber? (or anybody else who would know)

My list of stuffs don't look exactly like your list of stuffs, but, I only show one DNS Server - 10.0.0.1.

Do I need to get with my ISP, or am I good to go or what? (I'm not really sure of the difference between static and dynamic as applicable to IP addresses. Dynamic changes every time I log on?)

I woulda posted a screen shot, but, I'm paranoid and don't know what to hide and what's ok for the world to see.

Yeah, when it comes to the list of suspect IPs, that's okay, but the number itself suggests that you connect using a router... Cisco possibly? If that's so, you might want to check what IP the router is using for its DNS settings. You can Google your router brand to find out how to do this.

And you're right, dynamic connections will automatically change that IP address (and a few others) each time you connect to the server. For most people, this is a completely invisible process. So, if you get one of the bad IPs, a restart of your system will change it and you'll be good (assuming your system still doesn't have the virus). Static connections are manually set with a specific IP address and will not change after a restart.

"I don't see why it matters what is written. Not when it's about people. It can always be crossed out." ~Adam Young, Good Omens
Cyber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote