The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 04-06-2016, 04:07 PM   #106
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

From the American perspective, saving the Union, Making America Great Again on Chinese hats.
From a humanitarian perspective of shortening a war that was killing so many.
From a social perspective that millions of men could go home and have sex with their wives instead of that poor mule.
From a sociological perspective of a great way to poke people who after 150 years should get the fuck over it.
Old 04-06-2016, 08:35 PM   #107
Griff
still says videotape

ignoring his buffalo and Indian record as well...
Old 04-23-2016, 01:45 PM   #108
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Judge Jonathan Durham Hall QC is an Awesome People™.

Quote:
...he refused to impose a mandatory victim surcharge on the girl when she appeared at Bradford Crown Court, after hearing that the paedophile had destroyed her life, adding: 'If anyone tries to force you, I will pay it myself.'...'It would be a disgrace to send a survivor like you to prison,' Judge Durham Hall added.
Good on ya, Judge.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

Last edited by Gravdigr; 04-23-2016 at 01:46 PM. Reason: I forgot the link.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 02:11 PM   #109
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

He killed his chances of getting any Republican votes for a Supreme Court seat.
Old 04-23-2016, 06:19 PM   #110
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
Yeah - definitely an awesome person.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 01:21 PM   #111
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Anonymous Old Man Is An Awesome People™.

Quote:
After Tawny Nelson's car broke down at night in the pouring rain with her four young daughters crying in the back, countless people just drove by as she begged for help.

The single mother of four explained that things had been rough since her partner left — her vehicle was in such bad shape that she only drove if absolutely necessary and her cell phone was disconnected. She and her children desperately needed groceries so they made a quick trip to the store. However, one of her girls accidentally left a light on in the car and they returned to a completely drained battery. "I must have asked more than twenty people in the course of two hours for a jump," she wrote to Frank Somerville, which he shared on his Facebook page. "They all ignored me. Not even a no. [They] just acted like I didn't exist."

As her newborn screamed, her 2-year-old cried from hunger, and her 9-year-old desperately tried to help, Tawny described that she started to break down herself. "I was bawling and felt like the worst Mom ever," she recalled.

At that moment, a 74-year-old man with a bad limp knocked on the window. He handed her a plate of food and bottles of water for her family and let her know that a tow truck was on its way and that his wife was going to drive them home. The next day, the gentleman returned to her house with a mechanic and they made multiple repairs to her car.

After the kind stranger left, Tawny asked the mechanic if she could set up a payment plan, but he informed her that the man had already taken care of the bill.

"He said that the only payment the older man wanted was for me to never give up and keep being an amazing mom," Tawny wrote. "I've never cried so hard in my life. Things had been absolutely awful, more so than I care to explain, and without knowing us or our situation this kind man helped us in ways he will never know."

Tawny is grateful to the man for restoring her faith in humanity when she says she was falling apart. And while she knows that she can never repay him — he wouldn't even take a hug — she hopes to one day do for another what he did for her.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 07-31-2016, 08:03 PM   #112
Griff
still says videotape

Doing human right.
Old 07-31-2016, 08:30 PM   #113
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Old 08-15-2016, 08:37 AM   #114
Snakeadelic
Banned

I nominate:

http://www.davidbrin.com/about.html

He holds multiple degrees in fields that make my brain shut down just trying to figure out what he studied. He writes the only hard sci fi (technology-oriented for the non-sf crowds) that said brain o mine will wrap itself around. I got to meet him at a sci fi convention many years ago, and it went like this:

I find out Dr. Brin is a Guest of Honor and will be doing a book signing table with Greg Bear and Gregory Benford. Con policy is no more than 3 books per author per table. By the time I get there, I'm all of like 7th in line! Everyone around me has nine hardbacks apiece, three by each author, clearly bought at nearby book dealer booths.

I have one ratty, busted-spined paperback.

They all look at me weird when I make it to the table. I pull my badge out of its holder and hand it to Mr. Bear and then Mr. Benford, asking them to sign the back. Then I hold the book out to Dr. Brin and tell him the truth:

"This is my favorite hard sci fi novel ever. I've read this copy five times and it's my third because people keep stealing it." He writes a super-sweet note on the first page while we chat about why I'm at the convention--was hoping to snag an unclaimed art show table for my work, but none came up available.

Forward to later that day, and as a guest of the convention there to teach panels, I have access to the greenroom and have my miniature polymer clay animal sculptures stowed under a table. In walks Dr. Brin. I grab him for a quick second and show him my favorite of the critters I had at the time, an Arabian horse glued to a thin slab of what I now know was Montana agate. It's 1 inch tall at the ears, slab included, and he holds it up with the very tips of his fingers to get a better look. He says: "Wow, this is amazing! Do you make the molds for these?"

The correct answer turned out to be: "Ummmm, no, Dr. Brin, I don't have any mold-making supplies or experience."

He gives me a moment of HUGE eyes and says: "You do this by hand???"

All the degrees he worked for, all the awards his writing has won, and still the most tear-inducing, heart-stuttering compliment my work ever got.
Snakeadelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 10:23 AM   #115
glatt

I enjoyed reading The Postman. He can write.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 12:08 PM   #116
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

That was pretty cool.

Old 08-20-2016, 08:16 AM   #117
classicman

Wow, thats awesome, Snake... Now tell me again why I don't recall seeing pics of any of your work here.
Old 12-11-2016, 07:52 PM   #118
classicman

My nomination for Awesome people is our very own limey. She is one of the most thoughtful, kind, compassionate, talented and caring people I have ever had the pleasure of knowing.
For example, I told her about how my kids all had stockings which were handmade when they were young. The woman who did it has long passed and my daughters was lost by her mother. My daughter has reminded yearly of how special it was to her and hos disappointed she was that hers was gone.
So ... I reached out to limey and gave her all sorts of pics and my recollection of what her stocking looked like etc etc... She managed to completely ignore me and created the most beautiful stocking for my daughter. I was going to wait until Christmas (also her birthday) to give it to her, but as we were decorating today I realized it needed to happen sooner so we could all enjoy it for much longer.
My daughter is thrilled beyond belief and absolutely LOVES her new stocking!
Limey, I really can't thank you enough for all you've done for Danny over the years and now this too ... I thank you and I love you for who you are. You are seriously too sweet. <3
How freaking awesome is this???
Attached Images

Old 12-11-2016, 08:09 PM   #119
monster
I hear them call the tide

supremely awesome
Old 12-11-2016, 08:37 PM   #120
fargon
Person who doesn't update the user title

What Monster said.
Heavily medicated for the good of mankind.
fargon is offline   Reply With Quote