The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 12-04-2016, 03:22 PM   #106
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

It looks as if a Paypal account could be set up to receive donations in GBP - one of our UK Dwellars could then access the account and put the funds toward an agreed-upon item like a plant etc. Unless it's possible for a North America-based Dwellar to just order something directly (I'm feeling embarrassed about proposing something that means time and inconvenience for someone else).

Has this sort of thing been done before, here in the Cellar? I'm probably laughably behind on the technical details of things. If there's interest, though, it would be nice to do.
Old 12-04-2016, 03:29 PM   #107
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Elspode, it is perhaps a little early for Sundae's mum to have this organised. Funerals can, in the UK, typically be a couple of weeks after a death. I think Sundae's mum would really appreciate some gesture of support from Sundae's online family.

Sent by magic.
Old 12-04-2016, 03:52 PM   #108
limey

Ortho, all your suggestions are eminently doable. I'm very happy to be the agent to make this happen. And, as I've said, I think the gesture would be welcomed by Sundae's mum.

Sent by magic.
Old 12-04-2016, 04:05 PM   #109
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Limey, do you think monetary donations to her Mum are best, or the plant for the funeral route? Mum is going through a very tough time, as someone has already noted. Whatever, the case, I'm in to contribute as soon as details are available.
Old 12-04-2016, 04:10 PM   #110
Lola Bunny
Junior Master Dwellar

I've thought of this yesterday and was thinking of pming Limey. However, I was afraid I won't be able to give much and little might be just too little. And I didn't want to bring it up in the Cellar and guilt others into giving too being the holiday is around the corner. Funeral expenses can't be cheap.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G850A using Tapatalk
Lola Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 04:16 PM   #111
Elspode

I believe any amounts people donate out of love are sufficient amounts, and for those who did not feel the connection, or who cannot afford to donate, there is absolutely no guilt. From all, according to their ability.
Old 12-04-2016, 04:18 PM   #112
Lola Bunny
Junior Master Dwellar

Let's see what Limey say would be the best to do.

Old 12-04-2016, 04:20 PM   #113
limey

What Elspode says about "from all according to their ability" is spot on. After all, Teh Cellar bought UT a car once on that principle.
We brits are notoriously embarrassed about receiving financial gifts, however. I think a floral tribute would be more the thing, unless Carruthers has another opinion?

Sent by magic.
Old 12-04-2016, 04:32 PM   #114
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by limey View Post
What Elspode says about "from all according to their ability" is spot on. After all, Teh Cellar bought UT a car once on that principle.
We brits are notoriously embarrassed about receiving financial gifts, however. I think a floral tribute would be more the thing, unless Carruthers has another opinion?

Sent by magic.
I think the floral tribute option would be the one to pursue, limey.
In the event of there being surplus funds perhaps a donation to an appropriate charity could be made.

Last edited by Carruthers; 12-04-2016 at 04:39 PM.
Carruthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 04:36 PM   #115
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I think the surplus should go to Mum's favorite booze, she could probably use some. I don't know what that is but I remember Sundae mentioned it in one of her posts.
Old 12-04-2016, 04:37 PM   #116
Lola Bunny
Junior Master Dwellar

I like Bruce's suggestion.

Old 12-04-2016, 04:44 PM   #117
captainhook455
Rapscallion

Yeah money is pretty embarrassing, but it still spends. Mum's daughter has died and her husband is out of the loop so I think it would be appropriate to send funds instead of a plant. Americans are generous when it comes to money.

tarheel
captainhook455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 04:49 PM   #118
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I assume her Mum has to foot the expense of the funeral. I don't know about there, but here that's pretty expensive.
Old 12-04-2016, 04:52 PM   #119
Lola Bunny
Junior Master Dwellar

Perhaps it's a cultural thing. Asians like to give money to help out with funeral expenses. But then, they also give flowers.

Old 12-04-2016, 04:58 PM   #120
Elspode

If we come up with enough, we could do both. I would interject that I personally favor giving plants, because they live on after the ceremony as a reminder of the loved one who departed. We have a couple of plants in our arsenal that we were gifted following funerals. Most precious is the one from Leslie's father's service.

And, if embarrassment is a concern, well...a cash gift could be sent anonymously while the plant could bear our names and well wishes on a card. It would be harder to be embarrassed with no idea of the origin of the donation, and Bruce is right...funerals are goddamn expensive.