The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Quality Images and Videos
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Quality Images and Videos Post your own images and videos of your own days

Old 07-02-2004, 06:18 AM   #16
hampor
Colloquialist

worked for us

We actually tried to hypnotize one of them. It held still but it's claws weren't in the right position to balance. It almost fell on the floor, and we didn't want to smash it before cooking.

In Maine, there is a minimum and a maximum size to catch them. The carapace can be between 3 1/4 and 5 inches. Any larger ones have to be thrown back. The idea is that if they got that big, they must be good breeding stock.

That's also why all the lobster records are from Massachusetts. Also, the big ones don't fit into the traps.

One downside of the big ones is that you have to cook them a long time. The claw meat gets tough by the time the insides are cooked.
hampor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 07:38 AM   #17
breakingnews
Q_Q

Holy shit, that thing is enormous.

I was at Morton's steakhouse a few weeks ago, and they had 3, 4, 4.5 and 5 pound lobster. The waiter showed us a five pounder - it was the size of a small cat, and definitely much more than I could ever imagine eating (okay, that's completely untrue because I eat like a fat pig - but work with me here).

I can't imagine how big a 13 pounder is. Did someone say how long it is? The fiver was about 18-20 inches, eyes to tail.

The market price was $27 per pound. I thought about it - but went with a $70 double cut of T-bone instead.
breakingnews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 08:04 AM   #18
Cyber Wolf
As stable as a ring of PU-239

Location: On a huge rock covered in water, highly advanced moss and 7 billion parasites
In a way you'd figure lobsters can reach the gargantuan category because crab do the same and they're basically in the same family, aren't they? The crabs we get around here (mideastern seaboard) can get up to palm sized...pretty big. Go to Alaska, however, and you get these things with these LEGS that could wrap around a full grown human with inches to spare.

Mmmm....crab legs....

"I don't see why it matters what is written. Not when it's about people. It can always be crossed out." ~Adam Young, Good Omens
Cyber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 08:08 AM   #19
breakingnews
Q_Q

Quote:
Originally posted by Cyber Wolf
Mmmm....crab legs....
ARgh. Now I am starving and I've only been at work for an hour. Where the hell am I supposed to get crab legs during a 30-minute lunch??!
breakingnews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 08:36 AM   #20
Cyber Wolf
As stable as a ring of PU-239

Location: On a huge rock covered in water, highly advanced moss and 7 billion parasites
I have no idea, but if you find out, let me know!

Looks like it's going to be a seafood night tonight.

"I don't see why it matters what is written. Not when it's about people. It can always be crossed out." ~Adam Young, Good Omens
Cyber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 04:46 PM   #21
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

And the lobster's favorite food is?

Lobster.
Old 07-05-2004, 01:27 PM   #22
busterb
NSABFD

Someone from NZ. sent me this, as I love mudbugs.
Attached Images