The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > The Internet
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

The Internet Web sites, web development, email, chat, bandwidth, the net and society

Old 10-09-2003, 08:37 AM   #1
Tobiasly
hot

Microsoft comes clean

This quote from Microsoft sums up their philosophy pretty well:
Quote:
<i>Greg Sullivan, product manager, Windows client group</i>:
<b>While it is true that our implementation is not fully, 100 percent W3C-compliant, our development investments are driven by our customer requirements and not necessarily by standards</b>
This article is about the total lack of development in IE since they pretty much sealed up the marketplace, most notably in the area of CSS and their failure to implement it correctly.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no frothing-at-the-mouth Microsoft hater, and while I have had no delusions that their primary interest is to make money, <i>I don't think that's a bad thing</i>.

However, I hope and pray that their stranglehold on web development will come to an end through all this.
Tobiasly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2003, 12:13 PM   #2
hot_pastrami
I am meaty

Re: Microsoft comes clean

Quote:
Originally posted by Tobiasly
However, I hope and pray that their stranglehold on web development will come to an end through all this. [/b]
It's a self-perpetuating problem. IE is the most popular browser by far, so webmasters design for IE's broken standards. So IE doesn't have to update it's standards support, because the larger public doesn't clamor for it... the websites all function as expected. For the same reason, the larger public is not motivated to try other browsers.

As long IE is bundled with Windows, and the majority of Windows users remain clueless, Microsoft will have the World Wide Web by the balls.