The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 01-03-2015, 03:20 PM   #10156
monster
I hear them call the tide

Today and, frankly, every day. It's been two years and I still have not gotten used to my vision with the field cut. I used to cheer myself up by thinking one day I'll realize that I just don't notice it or think about it any more. I wished it would be a shorter term but knew it was more likely to be years. It's never going to happen.
Old 01-03-2015, 04:12 PM   #10157
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Shit Monster. What is your FOV now?
Old 01-03-2015, 04:34 PM   #10158
monster

It's hard to explain. Whatever I am focusing on, I don't see the pie slice from around 9:30 to 11:30 on a clock face. but my brain fills in a sort of fuzz that's the average color of what I am looking at. Its like looking at a scene containing the Predator. or through glasses with a permanent grease smudge. I feel like Midas in that everything I try to look at turns to fuzz and an inverse Medusa in that I can't look directly at anything and see it because it turns to crap. As I travel through my day it feels disorienting like being on a ship except that I'm not unsteady, just my vision is. And it's such hard work to make sure I'm scanning properly and don't miss things. And it's heartbreaking when I'm relaxing so not paying that attention and realize that I have missed stuff. Like Hector tried to high-five me over my shoulder when he was sat behind me and we were playing a family game and I completely didn't see it. Misreading words and making amusing new versions because I'm speed-reading and I didn't see the first letter and my brain just filled in the blank with something that worked is not as funny anymore

Last edited by monster; 01-03-2015 at 04:39 PM.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 04:48 PM   #10159
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Sorry, monster.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 04:51 PM   #10160
monster

and just in case you were thinking maybe I'm maudlin because I've had a beer or two, it's not yet 6pm and even I don't usually start that early Oh well. I needed to get it into words. maybe that will help in itself. thanks guys.
Old 01-03-2015, 05:24 PM   #10161
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
That must be profoundly annoying, I get pissed off at floaters so I can only imagine what the is like.

It sounds like you have about 90 degrees of visual field.
Attached Images

Old 01-03-2015, 05:55 PM   #10162
Griff
still says videotape

Jesus how annoying.
Old 01-03-2015, 06:03 PM   #10163
monster

No. It's not like that. Look at the words below.

Fuck Fu ndered lonely as a cloud
Fuck Fuck ooth what have I done
Fuck Fuck Funny how it worksn't
See Fuckety wouldn't offend me
how this Fuck even if I were the
properest fucker of all. As long as

I focused on the center of the text. No bad words would jump out and draw my attention to focus on them. And if they did, once I refocused, all I would see was "uck" or "iuck"

I have a full field of vision, there is nothing wrong with my eyes. But after the information is in and processed, the bit about that part of the picture is not transmitted to the brain. or if it is, the brain is unable to interpret it.
Old 01-03-2015, 06:05 PM   #10164
glatt

Sorry monster. It sounds like the lack of hope is the worst part.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 07:05 PM   #10165
monster

well it's certainly not helping I still hope that there will come a day when I am so used to it that it doesn't bother me, but I thought a couple of years would be a reasonable and realistic timeframe. Fortunately, it doesn't happen to enough people (who survive for many years afterwards) for there to be any helpful data on such things. :/
Old 01-03-2015, 09:21 PM   #10166
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot View Post
That must be profoundly annoying, I get pissed off at floaters so I can only imagine what the is like.
Last summer I had a blood sugar incident over 1500. We caught it and got control, but added a number of large bat signals (floaters).

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
I focused on the center of the text. No bad words would jump out and draw my attention to focus on them. And if they did, once I refocused, all I would see was "uck" or "iuck"
Jesus, that's nothing like I imagined from your previous mentions in passing of vision problems. Sounds like there's no way to compensate except go very slow and be extra cautious. I don't think that's your style at all. While you're waiting for a miracle maybe you can work out some eye/brain exercises that might help you compensate more quickly. Not giving up, mind you, just busy work.

I feel bad for you but I won't babble on, because I don't want to blow our cover of sterner stuff.
On the up side, if you ever see me, you won't have to see all of me.
Old 01-04-2015, 08:14 AM   #10167
glatt

1500 Bruce?!!! Holy crap!
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 11:25 AM   #10168
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Yeah, that was a shocker, especially since I'd been seeing the doctor and been tested every three months for a few years.
It was easily controlled once discovered, and we still don't know what caused this sudden change in metabolism.

Of course the doctors always wonder if you're not telling them about a week long party with Capt. Jack or Miss Oreo, and I suppose some people do that. But I figure this guy works for me, would I not tell my cook I hate Broccoli? Give him all the information so he can do his best for me.
That way I'm confident I'm ignoring only the best advice.

Our deadliest enemy is denial, which has nothing to do with Egypt.
Old 01-04-2015, 03:42 PM   #10169
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

So maybe that was another thing I should have accepted family money for and had checked out.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 05:11 PM   #10170
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Is the eye problem worse now, UT? What's up?
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
swiss