Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 09-18-2007, 11:55 AM   #166
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookout123 View Post
have you ever actually met a wealthy individual?
Yes
Quote:
i'm not talking about the paris hilton type, but the kind that probably lives in your neighborhood.
Yes
Quote:
I spend a good portion of my time with the entry level wealthy (it's my job) and I can tell you that people you would villify as wealthy don't think of themselves as wealthy.
Ok. MRMV. I deal with people every day that have some wealth and think that it gives them all kinds of entitlements.
Quote:
in fact, they continue to work hard and accumulate more because they are afraid they haven't worked hard enough to survive retirement yet.
Generality. You really shouldn't lump people together like that. I'll accept that have heard that. I think there are aother reasons, as well.
Quote:
what defines a glutton?
Technically "1 a : one given habitually to greedy and voracious eating and drinking". I use the term to include wealth.
Quote:
someone with $10 more than you? $10,000? $1,000,000?
I'm not going to quantify what's enough. Just like you know when your belly is full, you know when you have enough.
Quote:
Wait forget all that. Serious question here. Where in your scale does a person who makes $60,000 per year fall?
Right between $59,999.99 and $60,000.01.
Quote:
Are they one of the righteous poor or one of the villainous wealthy?
People who have enough and continue to accumulate wealth are part of the reason there's as much poverty as there is. They are part of the reason that welfare rolls are as high as they are, and part of the reason your taxes are high. They are also part of the reason that America's middle class is disappearing.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:03 PM   #167
Spexxvet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
But that's just it. I guaran-fucking-tee you I could find thousands of people just in my city alone who would point to you and call you rich, gluttonous, and selfish with the ridiculous amount of wealth you have. Everybody does not agree on these things.
I didn't say everybody agrees. I said you know when you have enough.

Forgive me if I have you confused with someone else, but I think I remember that you, CF, and Lookout have defended Christianity. Think about loving your neighbor as you love yourself. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. It is easier for a camel to fit through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God. Is there any consistency between these philosophies and your philosophy concerning wealth?
Old 09-18-2007, 12:11 PM   #168
Spexxvet

Quote:
define "enough"...
Enough is enough.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:16 PM   #169
Flint
Snowflake

A child only needs enough money to buy a piece of candy. A young man only needs enough money for a tank of gas and a bottle of whiskey. Then, he knocks up a girl, and now he needs enough money to buy a house; enough money to raise a child. Then he needs enough money to put that kid through college. Then he needs enough money to pay for his kid's wedding. Then he needs enough money to retire comfortably.

All along the way, he has strived to earn more and more money, to meet his increasing responsibilities. He has learned to be prepared for emergencies, and always have some savings set aside. There is no static amount that constitutes "enough" money.

If wolves were clawing at your door, how many bullets would you feel are "enough" to protect your family?
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 12:21 PM   #170
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

I don't know. Are they werewolves?
Old 09-18-2007, 12:30 PM   #171
glatt

Where, wolf?
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 12:42 PM   #172
lookout123
changed his status to single

Quote:
I deal with people every day that have some wealth and think that it gives them all kinds of entitlements
the fact that you follow this with:
Quote:
Generality. You really shouldn't lump people together like that. I'll accept that have heard that. I think there are aother reasons, as well.
is pretty humorous. I make a statement about the wealthy people i work with and you call it a generality. Mind you that my job is to ask all the really personal pertinent questions about money, goals, and motivations. But you say you deal with wealthy people and they feel like they are entitled to something. sounds like a generalization to me. maybe even a little hypocritical.

But more importantly it doesn't change the fact that you have established some level of "enough" and anyone who sets themselves to the task of accumulating more than that is deemed to be a glutton. But you can't be pinned down to actually define what "enough" is.

You sound like the sniveling little kid in the corner who is angry that someone has nicer shoes than him. The kid with the nicer shoes must be a self centered asshole or he wouldn't have nicer shoes than you.
Quote:
Right between $59,999.99 and $60,000.01.
cute. another person who is either too arrogant or too afraid to answer someone else's question.
Quote:
People who have enough and continue to accumulate wealth are part of the reason there's as much poverty as there is.
How exactly do you figure that? If a homebuilder builds enough homes in the first 5 months of the year to pay his bills, what should he do for the other 7 months? Shut down the business and go home, he wouldn't want to be gluttonous after all. Screw the guys who he provides jobs for, Mr Homebuilder has "enough". Or should he just give all of the profits to the employees? That seems reasonable. He'll continue taking all the risks of being in business and just give anything over "enough" to the employees.

Quote:
They are part of the reason that welfare rolls are as high as they are, and part of the reason your taxes are high.
BS. Companies that grow add jobs, they also tend to reward those people at the top with more than "enough". That's the way it works. Make profit, reap reward. Companies who quit growing soon have to start cutting jobs.
Quote:
They are also part of the reason that America's middle class is disappearing.
wow. have you thought of running for office? you've got the rhetoric and the buzz words. now can you tell me what it means? How do you define the middle class? is it an annual income amount? is it a certain number of toys quotient? what is it?

answer a question with something quantifiable please.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:55 PM   #173
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spexxvet
Forgive me if I have you confused with someone else, but I think I remember that you, CF, and Lookout have defended Christianity. Think about loving your neighbor as you love yourself. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. It is easier for a camel to fit through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God. Is there any consistency between these philosophies and your philosophy concerning wealth?
Yes, there is exact consistency. Because my philosophy concerning my wealth is completely separate from my philosophy concerning other people's decisions and lives. "Do unto others as you would have others do unto you" is not the same as "Make sure everyone else follows your rules too."
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 01:23 PM   #174
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
People who have enough and continue to accumulate wealth are part of the reason there's as much poverty as there is.
Quote:
How exactly do you figure that?
This is the zero-sum pie slicing theory which says that if you have a bigger slice of the pie, it indicates that somebody else has a smaller piece. If you have a large slice you should give some of yours back, so that smaller-sliced people can have a slice closer to your size.

It is a broken way of looking at economics. Almost nothing in economics is "zero sum". If you look at it on a national scale, clearly and obviously the American pie of 1907 is tiny and the pie of 2007 is huge. This is due to the creation of wealth that happens when innovations, education, productivity and dynamism multiply upon themselves.

(I had to use the term "American pie". Sorry, there was no alternative.)

A free market does not guarantee people equal sizes of the pie. But it does seem to be the best guarantor of a pie that increases in size... until the poor people of 2007 live nearly as well as the moderately rich people of 1907.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 01:26 PM   #175
lookout123
changed his status to single

zero sum only works in a world where nothing is created or subtracted. In the market, not even commodities fit the bill there. The closest is real estate, but they've tested the boundaries with that even.
Old 09-18-2007, 01:33 PM   #176
Flint
Snowflake

One time my brother was bashing Americans for eating big, gluttonous meals, while others in the world are starving. We happened to be eating out at the time, having just finished a big expensive meal (that my greedy, weath-accumulating dad was able to pay for).

Somebody asked my brother "Didn't you just eat a big, gluttonous meal?!" ...and he replied, self-righteously, "Well, I could have just had a salad."

He could have, but he didn't. It's easy to say that other people should have something taken from them, but nobody wants to give up their stuff.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 01:56 PM   #177
rkzenrage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spexxvet View Post
Enough is enough.
Until something happens.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:37 PM   #178
Spexxvet

Quote:
the fact that you follow this with:

is pretty humorous. I make a statement about the wealthy people i work with and you call it a generality.
I thought we were trading generalities. Good enough for the goose...

Quote:
Mind you that my job is to ask all the really personal pertinent questions about money, goals, and motivations. But you say you deal with wealthy people and they feel like they are entitled to something. sounds like a generalization to me. maybe even a little hypocritical.
Sure is a generalization. Sure is as valid as your observation. Sure isn't hypocritical.

Quote:
But more importantly it doesn't change the fact that you have established some level of "enough" and anyone who sets themselves to the task of accumulating more than that is deemed to be a glutton. But you can't be pinned down to actually define what "enough" is.
You know what enough is.

Quote:
You sound like the sniveling little kid in the corner who is angry that someone has nicer shoes than him. The kid with the nicer shoes must be a self centered asshole or he wouldn't have nicer shoes than you.
Here we go with the insults. So I'll respond that you sound like the 3 year old brat who won't share his toys with his sister, even though he's not using them. "They're mine, mine, mine, mine, mine, mine, mine" ad infinitum.

Quote:
cute. another person who is either too arrogant or too afraid to answer someone else's question.
I answered the question. Let me try again: you know what enough is.

Quote:
How exactly do you figure that? If a homebuilder builds enough homes in the first 5 months of the year to pay his bills, what should he do for the other 7 months? Shut down the business and go home, he wouldn't want to be gluttonous after all. Screw the guys who he provides jobs for, Mr Homebuilder has "enough". Or should he just give all of the profits to the employees? That seems reasonable. He'll continue taking all the risks of being in business and just give anything over "enough" to the employees.
Is that how you define enough?
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spexxvet
Quote:
BS. Companies that grow add jobs, they also tend to reward those people at the top with more than "enough". That's the way it works. Make profit, reap reward. Companies who quit growing soon have to start cutting jobs.
When the top guys keep more than enough, there is less to go around for everybody else.

Quote:
wow. have you thought of running for office? you've got the rhetoric and the buzz words. now can you tell me what it means? How do you define the middle class? is it an annual income amount? is it a certain number of toys quotient? what is it?
Since you don't want to contribute any of your precious loot to help others, what happens to them? Do they starve? Die from lack of nutrition/healthcare? Can you sleep at night knowing you contributed to their demise? Would you treat your parents that way? How much would you have to make before you would part with a penny? $1,000,000? $10,000,000? $100,000,000?

Your can't see the forest for the questions.

Quote:
answer a question with something quantifiable please.
Ok. You know what enough is.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:38 PM   #179
Spexxvet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
Yes, there is exact consistency. Because my philosophy concerning my wealth is completely separate from my philosophy concerning other people's decisions and lives. "Do unto others as you would have others do unto you" is not the same as "Make sure everyone else follows your rules too."
You really get all hot and bothered when someone suggests you give something, don't you.

You're kidding yourself if you think Christianity is consistent with capitalism.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:47 PM   #180
rkzenrage

Quote:
Ok. You know what enough is.
And you will be ok with it if you disagree with what he decides, right?