The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 01-26-2010, 09:52 PM   #91
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookout123
Really? I couldn't decide whether my laughter made it worthwhile or if I should still feel robbed for the $1.09 I spent on it.
Sure, I laughed, but I thought that was intentional in most places. People getting blown into well-rendered giblets, crazy-ass African gang members, the poor sod whose life just keeps getting worse and worse... I wasn't on the edge of my seat with drama or anything, but I was definitely entertained.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 07:41 AM   #92
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

I was pleasantly surprised when I watched it. After reading about all the hoopla linking it to Apartheid, I wasn't initially too interested in seeing it. It wasn't a bad little action flick, after all.
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 07:50 AM   #93
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post

I give it two stars. It's like Brokeback Mountain: no matter what the movie is, you can always just sit back and enjoy the Rockies shot by a top-notch cinematographer.

Too many of the effects pulled me out of the film instead of drawing me in. When the hack story wasn't doing it...

It sticks with you a bit, but the more I thought about it, the more I found not to like about it. They say that the secret to Star Trek's longevity is that Trek is hugely optimistic about the future, and about mankind's role in it. Well, this movie does not share that vision. That is all I will say without spoiler alerts.
Im glad you said this (bold) because no else brings it up and I thought I was just being too analytical as usual.That was the part that affected me the most about this movie.
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 08:53 AM   #94
Madman
has left the building.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
Finally saw District 9 the other night. Good movie. Was it a book first? It definitely had the feel of one.
I liked the aliens. They had personality.
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 11:51 AM   #95
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Juniper's right--Netflix is awesome. I have four "Watch Instantly" devices in the house, plus the computers. It's like having a Blockbuster down the hall past the kitchen. We watch a lot of movies.

Last night was Blood Sucking Freaks. I give it two stars out of five. A typical Troma production. Surprising humor, very gory, occasional clothing, and degrading humiliation in practically every scene.

Before that--

Howl's Moving Castle, five stars. Outstanding work. Miyazaki is a genius. A moving castle and a moving story. I found the voice acting to be delightful, especially Billy Crystal as Calcifer.

Castle in the Sky, five stars. I also loved this one though it was more of a romp and considerably less subtle.

Stomp Live, five stars. Streamed, and it has been rewatched many times in the past month. I may wind up purchasing it just to save bandwidth.

The Botany of Desire, five stars. I didn't realize I'd been domesticated by the potato. I, for one, welcome our shoestringed, mashed, and scalloped overlords. Plus, I like tulips.

In the theater, Avatar (3D, and Imax 3D), four stars. Inglorious Basterds, three stars. Where the Wild Things Are, five stars. wrt Where the Wild Things Are, I was delighted to have my .... low expectations exceeded so dramatically. The film expresses the emotion and confusion of feelings without words. I mean the film does a fine job of conveying what cannot be articulated.
Old 01-27-2010, 01:09 PM   #96
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post

I give it two stars.

Too many of the effects pulled me out of the film instead of drawing me in. When the hack story wasn't doing it...

the more I thought about it, the more I found not to like about it.
I wish I was griff at this point.

Saw it in 3D - was an "ok" movie with neat effects . . . thats about it.
Old 01-30-2010, 10:13 PM   #97
monster
I hear them call the tide

I just watched Slap Shot. Far from recent, but fucking hilarious.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:14 PM   #98
jinx
Come on, cat.

Instantly watching via netflix; I like killing flies. I like it a lot.
Old 01-31-2010, 07:35 PM   #99
squirell nutkin
has a second hand user title

Saw "Strays" by Vin Diesel mainly because Suzanne Lanza is in it. I was surprised bec. I always thought Vin was a knucklehead the way people talk about him. I've actually never ever seen or heard anything by him so I really had no opinion.

It wasn't a bad movie for what it was. 16mm bumped up to 35. It looked like a really really good student film. The story was sincere, if a little thin. And it had Suzanne Lanza in it, so... Awesome. Two tails up!
Old 01-31-2010, 08:06 PM   #100
Juniper
I know, right?

I just found out that coming this spring you can watch netflix instantly via the Wii! I'm so excited!
Juniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 08:29 PM   #101
glatt

The Hangover finally came this weekend, but the disc was messed up. The first half was fun though. I'll give a review on the full movie once we get the replacement.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 06:38 PM   #102
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirell nutkin View Post
Saw "Strays" by Vin Diesel mainly because Suzanne Lanza is in it. I was surprised bec. I always thought Vin was a knucklehead the way people talk about him. I've actually never ever seen or heard anything by him so I really had no opinion.
That's on my netflix queue. The interesting thing about Vin Diesel is that he plays beefy and brawny, but is actually quite bright. He's a grown-up (and nicely too) D&D geek.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 07:41 PM   #103
Cloud

Netflix is evil. Of course, I said that about cell phones, too . . .

Saw Ong Bak 2--the beginning. seriously sucked--waaayy too many flashbacks and forths.
Old 02-13-2010, 11:46 AM   #104
Datalyss
Huh?

Star Trek (2009) on DVD...about 4 months ago. Does that count as recent?
Datalyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 09:14 PM   #105
squirell nutkin
has a second hand user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post
That's on my netflix queue. The interesting thing about Vin Diesel is that he plays beefy and brawny, but is actually quite bright. He's a grown-up (and nicely too) D&D geek.
Yeah, that's part of what surprised me was the depth and complexity of what I thought would be a one dimensional story. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't John Le Carre, but it still surprised me.