The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 07-01-2012, 10:33 PM   #1
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

My Best Friend

The Roommate just seems so....impersonal. his name is paul. he's my best friend. yeah, he's 23 years my superior but we relate. granted we're the odd couple but it works. met him back in the summer of '01. two months before 9-11. originally we related to aviation. and still do. but when my disaster happened in '06 he became my out. when i got out i went to my then boss's house. he wanted 17 fucking hundred dollars a month rent for a garage apartment. oh ok. you are the number one first officer for a major airline and you want me to pay your house note? i don't fucking think so scooter!

i digress.

so here we are. paul has had surgery and is recovering nicely. just thought i'd start a thread to talk about it here. it's late and i gotta go to bed.
Old 07-01-2012, 10:40 PM   #2
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

My uncle has a roommate like that. They've shared a place on and off at various times in their lives, when neither one was currently in a marriage. Now that my uncle's Parkinson's is getting bad, The Roommate is completely taking care of him, the way you're taking care of your friend.

You're good people, Fred.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 10:52 PM   #3
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

thanks. means a lot. sometimes i need reminding of that.

to back up, i moved in with my ex-boss but when he came up with that rent payment i moved in with paul. we've only strengthened our friendship since.
Old 07-02-2012, 04:52 AM   #4
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

I think age differences are really unimportant. I've had close friends who are the same age as my parents, and some who are young enough to be my kids. You relate, and are there for each other when you need each other, that's what's important.

Sent by thought transference
Old 07-02-2012, 11:03 PM   #5
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by limey View Post
I think age differences are really unimportant. I've had close friends who are the same age as my parents, and some who are young enough to be my kids. You relate, and are there for each other when you need each other, that's what's important.

Sent by thought transference
very true.

today wasn't so bad with one exception. he did like i asked him to which was to call me if he decided to go for a walk. then he took another this evening which he did holler upstairs to me to let me know he was going for one. piece of mind i guess. for me anyway. so he'll go out into the street with his walker and play in traffic. you know, safe shit like play chicken with F-250's and Silverado's and even the occasional AMC Gremlin and/or Pinto.

(yes i'm kidding!we're on a boulevard and our side is shut down for construction so he cruises around in the blocked off portion of the street)

the one exception happened only about 15 minutes ago when he was negotiating the stairs to go to bed. he got up the first set and when stepping up to the second set his knee gave out on him and i had to help him up. no biggie really. just a reality check for him if you will.

then when i'm helping him get settled in his bedroom he mentioned that he has another exercise to do. i said, what's that? he said to practice taking the stairs more often. oh hell no! after that? while i'm not here? uhuh. no way man. i asked him to please not do that while i'm not home. not yet anyway. i said, how would you like if you fell like you did just now and no one is here to help you? he didn't have to answer that one, lol.
Old 07-03-2012, 03:27 AM   #6
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

One step at a time , one step at a time!
Old 07-03-2012, 05:15 AM   #7
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

Is he set to start a rehab program soon? They'll give him plenty of exercises he can safely do at home - he'll feel he's accomplishing stuff, making progress, without choosing dangerous ways to 'take the next step' (literally). Stairs with no one else home = not a good place to start!
Old 07-03-2012, 06:53 AM   #8
glatt

Father in law had a similar injury, but he's so old they didn't want to operate. So he has to wear a back brace whenever he is out of bed. It's such an elaborate brace he needs help putting it on and taking it off.

Paul is fortunate to have you for a friend. You're making a real difference.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:43 AM   #9
Nirvana
Back in 10

so many fabulous and worthwhile human beans live at the Cellar
Old 07-03-2012, 09:59 AM   #10
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

he is starting therapy on Friday. I forgot to mention that someone from Methodist came by the house yesterday and brought him....electrode therapy strips? anyway, he got those put on yesterday and is doing that for now.

Paul has something similar to what your father in law has glatt. this one is a double wrap brace looking contraption with a reusable ice/heat pack you slide in a pocket on the back. seems to work fairly well.

thanks Nirvana, we all try and yes there are a bunch of us here
Old 07-03-2012, 12:25 PM   #11
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana View Post
so many fabulous and worthwhile human beans live at the Cellar
...and then there's the rest of us.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 05:59 PM   #12
Griff
still says videotape

Good on you, Philthy.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:03 PM   #13
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

well, i got home tonight with yet 2 more prescriptions for paul. he seems in good spirits and getting around a bit. i showed him what happens to my tomato plants when you (I) forget to water them in the morning before i leave. lol, i got home and walked into the patio and there they were saying WATER US!!!! paul got a kick out of it. i told him to check this out: i water them and in 10 minutes they'll be right back up perky as ever! sure enough. i know it stresses them out but hey, i'm toughening them up!
Old 07-03-2012, 06:45 PM   #14
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger, right? Even for tomato plants!
Old 07-03-2012, 07:17 PM   #15
Lola Bunny
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
...and then there's the rest of us.

Hehehehhe....amen!
Lola Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote