The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 01-26-2007, 02:25 PM   #1
Pangloss62
Lecturer

Aircraft of Imfamy

Recently I did some fieldwork down at Fort Barrancas, FL, and decided to stop at the National Museum of Naval Aviation located nearby. The Navy vets at the front desk were nice enough to set me up with a private tour of their flightline out behind the museum. Within seconds a golf cart pulled up and I was off.

After looking at dozens of historic aircraft from WWII, Korea, Viet Nam, my Navy vet guide pulled up to a strange looking jet and told me in hushed tones "That's the jet that George W. Bush landed on the Abraham Lincoln." We both looked at each other with an awkward "I guess we know what that plane is famous for" expression. We quickly drove off to look at some other aircraft.

Here's the pic I took of W's "Mission Accomplished" Jet

The plane is a S-3B Viking, W. was in the copilot's seat when he landed.

The whole drive back to Atlanta, I couldn't keep thinking about that jet, and how it ended up in a museum. What does it symbolize? How will it be interpreted? I felt compelled to go back in time, so I used "the Google" and perused "the Intenets (you know, that "series of tubes)," and found an article that kind of summed up the situation:

The Battle of Iraq is now one for the history books. In his May 1st speech aboard the aircraft carrier USS Abraham Lincoln, President Bush announced that our forces have prevailed, the major combat phase in Iraq is now complete, and the nation expresses its considerable gratitude for all the efforts of American and coalition troops.

Most telling was the author's take on what people want in a President:

Most Americans want their presidents to be real men -- forthright, resolute, reliable, uncomplicated guys that adeptly get the job done. These are the type of men that are not particularly verbose, but do exactly what they say they'll do. And, essentially, that's what President Bush is all about. Instinctively, people understand that complicated intellectuals, charismatic double-talkers, and pathological narcissists rife with personal foibles are not the makings of a great commander-in-chief. Americans expect solid leadership that can capably evaluate national security threats and effectively utilize military force when warranted. This is not complicated stuff.

http://www.enterstageright.com/archi...litaryteam.htm
Old 01-26-2007, 03:42 PM   #2
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

Your guide is misinformed, Bush did not do the landing and never claimed to. He did get some stick time enroute.

MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 03:51 PM   #3
Pangloss62
Lecturer

Guiding Light

Quote:
Your guide is misinformed, Bush did not do the landing and never claimed to. He did get some stick time enroute.
We both knew that W did not actually land the plane, but that's not really the point. Is it?
Old 01-26-2007, 03:53 PM   #4
glatt

Cool pics. Thanks for posting them.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 04:03 PM   #5
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Was this plane about to be retired anyway? Because Dubya and his PR trip to the Lincoln is *not* historic. Jesus, it wasn't even correct. You can arbitrarily declare that a conflict is over anytime you want, but if you don't bother convincing the opposition of that "fact", well...

So please tell me that they didn't retire this aircraft just because it was a part of a now-legendary spin effort?
Old 01-26-2007, 04:40 PM   #6
MaggieL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspode View Post
So please tell me that they didn't retire this aircraft just because it was a part of a now-legendary spin effort?
How about because it was flown by a sitting US president?

So far only Bush 41, Bush 43 and Eisenhower had pilot's licences, and Eisenhower gave up flying after WWII. A Stearman PT-17 flown by Bush 41 is in a museum in Florida.

I also recall seeing a TBM Avenger at EAA Oshkosh restored to the colors of the plane Bush 41 flew in WWII, although the original aircraft was lost during the war.

Old 01-26-2007, 04:27 PM   #7
MaggieL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pangloss62 View Post
We both knew that W did not actually land the plane, but that's not really the point. Is it?
The point may be that saying "That's the jet that George W. Bush landed on the Abraham Lincoln" then turning around and saying "We both knew that W did not actually land the plane." may indeed be the point...imprecision in language.

As much as criticising the statements "Major combat operations in Iraq have ended. In the battle of Iraq, the United States and our allies have prevailed. And now our coalition is engaged in securing and reconstructing that country." as being somehow untruthful.

"Major combat operations have ended" is certainly not "arbitrarily declaring that a conflict is over"...and whether you have "convinced the opposition of that 'fact'" is pretty much dependent on who "the opposition" is. Characterizing that as "spin" is...well..."spin".

In that context "the opposition" was viewed as Saddam & Co...and *that* conflict is very much over. Since then Al-Queda has managed to get the Shia and Sunnis at each others throats...(not a terribly difficult thing to do, considering) and making "securing and reconstructing that country" difficult in the extreme.

Old 01-26-2007, 03:52 PM   #8
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieL View Post
He did get some stick time enroute.
in the foot steps of Beestie I will practice restraint...
Old 01-27-2007, 01:04 AM   #9
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

What we see here are the dorks being dorky (and I question the necessity) and the good folk being good folk.

George Bush looks better in a flight suit than anyone who's posted here, and done more to walk the walk.

You can be a good man, or you can be an asshole: I'd suggest being a good man.
Old 01-27-2007, 02:02 AM   #10
Bullitt
This is a fully functional babe lair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbane Guerrilla View Post
What we see here are the dorks being dorky (and I question the necessity) and the good folk being good folk.

George Bush looks better in a flight suit than anyone who's posted here, and done more to walk the walk.

You can be a good man, or you can be an asshole: I'd suggest being a good man.
Oh I can think of a few people who would look better...
Elspode and xobruce as examples

Old 01-27-2007, 02:31 AM   #11
Elspode

Man, I look fuckin' *good* in antlers and a flightsuit!

Mags...I love you, girl, really. You are so unabashedly in favor of whoever will let you pack heat, and I so unabashedly in favor of whoever will let me get my knob polished...

This is what makes America great.
Old 01-27-2007, 05:42 PM   #12
MaggieL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspode View Post
Man, I look fuckin' *good* in antlers and a flightsuit!

Mags...I love you, girl, really. You are so unabashedly in favor of whoever will let you pack heat, and I so unabashedly in favor of whoever will let me get my knob polished...

This is what makes America great.
Hark! A sudden outburst of avuncular misdirection...

I'm very much in favor of knob-polishing, myself...for all kinds of knobs, and all kind of polishers. And I certainly don't support everything that Bush has done. But your reflexive reaction that Something Evil And Outrageous Must Be Afoot just because the "imfamous" aircraft is sitting on the ramp of a museum of naval aircraft is yet another classic illustration of mindless BushBashing on the Cellar...more so even than the childish Photoshoppery.

Ironically, the very fact that your reaction was so hysterical establishes that the aircraft in question *is* of historical interest sufficient to justify preserving it rather than sending it to the scrapyard with its many squadronmates.

It's clearly the most famous S-3 in the entire fleet.

Old 01-27-2007, 05:45 PM   #13
Bullitt
This is a fully functional babe lair

Quote:
...more so even than the childish Photoshoppery.
Here's a thought: learn to take a joke Maggie, it'll make life much more enjoyable.
Old 01-29-2007, 12:57 PM   #14
Elspode

Quote:
Ironically, the very fact that your reaction was so hysterical establishes that the aircraft in question *is* of historical interest sufficient to justify preserving it rather than sending it to the scrapyard with its many squadronmates.

It's clearly the most famous S-3 in the entire fleet.
Hysterical? Since when is asking aloud whether a given governmental expenditure was prudent hysterical? Or have we finally reached the point where anything that our Exalted Leader or his minions does is automatically Good, and anyone who questions such things Bad?
Old 01-28-2007, 10:51 AM   #15
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbane Guerrilla View Post
George Bush looks better in a flight suit than anyone who's posted here,

and done more to walk the walk.
Well, in my case, your first point is certainly accurate.

As to the second point, I doubt I would have landed in the Air National Guard if I had been drafted, much less been in pilot training, much less been allowed to transfer myself (or go AWOL) to work on a political campaign.

As for only taking advice that one already agrees with and making simplistic decisions based on a black and white worldview, I will admit the Mr. Bush has certainly walked that path farther and more resolutely than any other rational being.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote