The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 03-12-2017, 09:00 AM   #1426
Griff
still says videotape

Did it only apply to the recent executive order not the 1991 waterfowl ban?
Old 03-12-2017, 09:10 AM   #1427
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Correct
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 01:55 PM   #1428
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

What about the deer killed by lead bullets, fired from rifles, as opposed to lead shot, fired from a shotgun, which kill many, many, many times the amount of deer that shotguns do?

I've eaten game for, literally, my entire life. I've eaten doves, quail, geese, turkey, rabbits, squirrels, all killed with a shotgun, and I've bitten down on the odd lead shot now and again. I'm sure I've swallowed well more lead shot than I am aware of. A person will not get sick (nor will he get sick and die) from ingesting lead shot. I suppose it would be broken down by the hydrochloric acid factory that is the human stomach, but if it doesn't, your poop is a little heavier than usual. Meh. You'd have to ingest an enormous amount of lead shot just to affect your body, much less do actual harm.

And with all the lead I must have consumed, I've never noticed any effect whatsoever.

Also, I've eaten game for, literally, my entire life. I've eaten doves, quail, geese, turkey, rabbits, squirrels, all killed with a shotgun, and I've bitten down on the odd lead shot now and again. I'm sure I've swallowed well more lead shot than I am aware of. A person will not get sick (nor will he get sick and die) from ingesting lead shot. I suppose it would be broken down by the hydrochloric acid factory that is the human stomach, but if it doesn't, your poop is a little heavier than usual. Meh. You'd have to ingest an enormous amount of lead shot just to affect your body, much less do actual harm.

And with all the lead I must have consumed, I've never noticed any effect whatsoever.

And another thing, I'm just about fed----Ooh, look! Shiiiiiiiiiny!

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 02:18 PM   #1429
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakeadelic View Post
Lead in every major river system that flows through public lands. A lot of that was already there. Probably. Lead does occur naturally, although I'm not saying it all came from Mother Nature.

Food banks in many states, including mine, will no longer be able to accept wild game that is donated by the hunter or seized from poachers, because now there will once again be a risk that someone's gonna make a food-bank deerburger and swallow a bunch of mangled lead pellets that survived the grinder because lead's softer than the steel grinder blades. Most food banks do not accept wild game, period. The food banks in my neck o' the woods only accept store-bought, packaged food.

God knows what kind of damage to the families of avid hunters who may or may not keep their reloading supplies locked up with the actual guns. What? Are you expecting the kids to go lead shot chugging when the parents are out?

Possible repeat of the massive drop in numbers of all predatory birds, especially those that also scavenge. LIKE THE BALD EAGLE. That was from DDT, an actual poison. Much different situation. And when steel, bismuth, and other types of shot were introduced (read mandated) in Cali and other areas, there was no real, discernible difference in the numbers of suspicious death rates of scavenging, or predatory birds in those areas. I could be wrong on this, but, I don't think I am.

Makes me sick. I'm afraid the next thing they'll do is declare mustangs fair game for dog food ingredients so they can slaughter them all off PUBLIC lands and use those lands for grazing, fracking, and strip-mining. You're a little late to this particular party. Well, they're not killing them all off, but, yeah, you're tardy.
And what about the animals we intentionally kill with All That Lead? Where is the concern for them?

And I'll shut up with this:

Have any of you seen, or heard of, lead shot in the bird poo that splatted on your windshield? Srsly. If there was this huge problem, wouldn't/shouldn't that be happening?

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 03-12-2017, 04:58 PM   #1430
Griff
still says videotape

"...lead affects children’s brain development resulting in reduced intelligence quotient (IQ), behavioural changes such as reduced attention span and increased antisocial behaviour, and reduced educational attainment. Lead exposure also causes anaemia, hypertension, renal impairment, immunotoxicity and toxicity to the reproductive organs. The neurological and behavioural effects of lead are believed to be irreversible. "

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs379/en/

Getting lead out of our environment is generally a good idea.

Lead is an actual poison.
Old 03-12-2017, 05:10 PM   #1431
Griff
still says videotape

Lead Poisoning Effects on Birds

Lead poisoning is a toxicosis caused by the absorption of hazardous levels of lead in body tissues. Ingested lead pellets from shotgun shells have been a common source of lead poisoning in birds. Other sources include lead fishing sinkers, mine wastes, paint chips, bullets and other swallowed lead objects.

Clinical/Field Signs

Lead poisoning is typically a chronic disease in wild birds. Sick and dead birds are usually observed in low numbers, if at all. Large scale mortality due to lead poisoning occurs rarely. Birds are often mistaken for cripples during or after the hunting season. Signs include: lethargy, progressive weakness, green-stained feces and vent (cloaca) due to bile staining, reluctance to fly or inability to sustain flight, and weight loss leading to emaciation. Severely affected birds often do not have an escape response but will usually seek isolation and cover, making them difficult to find. Green-colored feces can be seen in areas used by lead-poisoned waterfowl.

Lesions

Waterfowl are often emaciated with severe wasting of breast muscles, impaction of the esophagus and/or proventriculus with food material, and an enlarged gallbladder containing thick, dark green bile. Green bile staining may be seen in the gizzard and/or around the vent. The gizzard may or may not contain lead fragments. The diagnosis is confirmed by detecting toxic levels of lead in tissues, including liver, kidney, and blood.

https://www.nwhc.usgs.gov/disease_in...ead_poisoning/
Old 03-12-2017, 05:32 PM   #1432
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
Correct
Back to this. Maybe we should make a thread for Trump Administration stuff after we've hashed out whether its a real threat or a product of Trump Derangement Syndrome.

The lead story as passed around the net was largely untrue despite the fact that lead is a brain poison. My personal instinct is that Executive Orders should generally be considered unconstitutional so rolling back Obama's is necessary but ought to be followed up with appropriate legislation when the political will exists.
Old 03-12-2017, 05:34 PM   #1433
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
"...lead affects children’s brain development resulting in reduced intelligence quotient (IQ), behavioural changes such as reduced attention span and increased antisocial behaviour, and reduced educational attainment.
Old 03-12-2017, 10:51 PM   #1434
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
Fuck that shit. Griping is good for you. Releases the pressure valves, cleans the pores, improves digestion, all that stuff.
Alex, "What is the spleen?"
Old 03-13-2017, 08:24 AM   #1435
glatt

I was initially outraged when I heard about this a few days ago, but then as I read the article I saw the same info UT relayed which is that it overturned a recent executive order. I felt a little manipulated and it annoyed me.

But that's not the purpose of this post.

I wanted to share this video with you of a guy in Utah who panned for lead bullets in an old quarry being used as an unofficial shooting range in order to get a bunch of lead he could use for big weights. I have seen panning for gold before in water, but never panning for lead without water. I think it's freaking cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lkw5UotuRbA

glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 11:40 AM   #1436
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
I bet his lead levels are insanely high. The dust from the dry panning is filled with lead and he's not wearing a mask. Into the lungs, into the blood.

I wonder why he doesn't just sieve it at the site.
Old 03-13-2017, 01:38 PM   #1437
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot View Post
I bet his lead levels are insanely high. The dust from the dry panning is filled with lead and he's not wearing a mask. Into the lungs, into the blood.
He does lots of crazy stuff. In an admirable sort of way.

He plunges his bare hands into mercury. (He has a lot of that too.)
He inserted a small rare earth magnet into his finger so he could get a fifth sense of detecting north and electromagnetic fields.
Bites off pieces of sodium (without letting it touch his tongue where it would react violently.)
Joins that hoax mars mission project.
Stuff like that.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 03:12 PM   #1438
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
I see what you did there.

Old 03-16-2017, 11:43 PM   #1439
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot View Post

I wonder why he doesn't just sieve it at the site.
sieving/screening is just for size. He'd get all the rocks the same size too. He'd still need to sort by density/pan/crush, something. There *would* probably be much less dust though.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:27 PM   #1440
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
If he was serious about getting the lead, he should dig a pit, soak it with water then line the bottom with smooth stones about the size of walnuts to a depth of 3 inches. then pile dirt on top of the stones to a depth of about 6" and then build a fire on top of this. Not too big because you don't want to burn the lead. when the dirt heats up the lead will melt and drip down into the stones and hit the wet earth and cool. as the fire becomes coals, more dirt can be added by the shovel slowly enough that it doesn't put out the fire. After it all cools, remove the dirt/slag and stones, there should be a bunch of lead in the bottom.

That's my theory.

Tags
limburger