The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 07-06-2016, 08:31 AM   #1
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Sexed Up

From Wikipedia:
Quote:
The 45 minute claim lies at the centre of a row between Downing Street and the BBC. On 29 May 2003, BBC defence correspondent Andrew Gilligan filed a report for BBC Radio 4's Today programme in which he stated that an unnamed source – a senior British official – had told him that the September Dossier had been "sexed up", and that the intelligence agencies were concerned about some "dubious" information contained within it – specifically the claim that Saddam Hussein could deploy weapons of mass destruction within 45 minutes of an order to use them.
Latest report says it was 'sexed up' to rush to war.

Never forget what 'curve ball' really means.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 05:07 PM   #2
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Except that the Hutton Inquiry determined that "sexed up" didn't happen. The BBC's chairman Gavyn Davies and director-general Greg Dyke resigned. Journalist Andrew Gilligan resigned. The source of the allegation was identified as David Kelly who was found to have had a conflict of interest and committed suicide.

Paraphrased from Wikipedia.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 07:05 PM   #3
tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexobon View Post
Except that the Hutton Inquiry determined that "sexed up" didn't happen.
Believe political spin that claims Mission Accomplished was a success. Politics and spin do not change facts. Today's Chilcot report makes obvious what should be common knowledge. Facts were sexed up to create lies - such as Saddam's mythical weapons of mass destruction. Using outright lies even from 'Curve Ball' to justify those lies. That biological and chemical weapons that could be launched within 45 minutes. Even 'Shock and Awe' was just another lie to sex it up to adults who use emotion to somehow justify their conclusions.

We pay for those lies even today in massive interest payments on almost $3 trillion that should have been invested into American infrastructure, education, and research. Instead we decided to torture - a Gestapo tradition. And then called that good. Even imprisoned most of 800 people in Guantanamo who were innocent.

An honest person would have criticized great American enemies from that period. Some, instead, search for and post irrelevant trivia as proof that reality is wrong.

George Jr's subordinates (ie Paul Bremer and Stephen Hadley) to this day still insist Mission Accomplished was a major American victory. Their lies could not be any more obvious.

Newt Gingrich called Bremer "the largest single disaster in American foreign policy in modern times". Gingrich got one fact wrong saying Bremer should have been removed in Sept 2003. He should have been removed on 12 May 2003 before he could create the reason for most of those 5000 dead American servicemen and even more civilians. Reasons for this mess linger today.

Today, Tony Blair also put forth spin and lies to justify his part in that fiasco. Anybody yet hear what will be Cheney's lies?

Lies to justify Mission Accomplished were sexed up no matter how many times one tries to spin and deny it. No honest American can justify what we all did to almost 5000 American servicemen. And to many tens of thousands more who live with life long complications due to those lies. And a resulting recession that occurs when the bills come due.
Old 07-06-2016, 08:37 PM   #4
sexobon

The source you cited in your opening post was garbage then and it's garbage now.

The Chilcot report cleared the Prime Minister's Office of influencing the Iraq Dossier (the "Dodgy Dossier"), which contained the claim that Iraq possessed the ability to launch WMD within 45 minutes, and instead laid the blame for the weaknesses in its evidence on the Joint Intelligence Committee. It did find that references to this intelligence in government reports were over-certain and did not adequately stress uncertainties and nuance. It wasn't the first and won't be the last time governments act on bad intelligence.

Tony Blair acknowledged that the report made "real and material criticisms of preparation, planning, process and of the relationship with the United States" but cited sections of the report that he said "should lay to rest allegations of bad faith, lies or deceit."

There's a good chance that much of their information came from us. We're the ones who "sexed up" the claims on the nature of the Iraqi threat with Colin Powell's presentations even being televised. We claimed it was to get WMDs and when that didn't work claimed it was to get terrorists and when that didn't work claimed it was to free the Iraqi people (who didn't want us there). We sold our allies on it.

In a statement to the House of Commons the afternoon after the Inquiry was released, Prime Minister David Cameron said that he did not see "a huge amount of point" in "replaying all the arguments of the day" and said that focus should instead be on learning "the lessons of what happened and what needs to be put in place to make sure that mistakes cannot be made in future."

The information you cite in your opening post makes it clear that you're living in the past tw. You want to replay the arguments of the day and put your spin on them in hindsight. The Chilcot Inquiry has been criticized as "an establishment stitch-up" just as the Hutton Inquiry was in it's day. Please try to stop living in the past so you can grow old with dignity.
Old 07-09-2016, 12:16 PM   #5
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

old-er
Old 07-17-2016, 11:39 PM   #6
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
In a statement to the House of Commons the afternoon after the Inquiry was released, Prime Minister David Cameron said that he did not see "a huge amount of point" in "replaying all the arguments of the day" and said that focus should instead be on learning "the lessons of what happened and what needs to be put in place to make sure that mistakes cannot be made in future."
Hard to learn the lessons of what happened without knowledge of the arguments of the day.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 12:10 AM   #7
sexobon

It means they've already heard the arguments of the day, many of them lived through the arguments of the day, and replaying them isn't going to change what happened. The outcomes are what will provide the lessons of what happened. Intelligent people can learn from other peoples experiences without having to relive them themselves. It's the difference between being stuck in the past and moving forward.
Old 07-18-2016, 05:23 AM   #8
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

You have to tie the outcomes to the actions that caused them in order to learn anything from them.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 09:16 AM   #9
tw

Quote:
It's the difference between being stuck in the past and moving forward.
Those who fail to learn the lessons of history are doomed to repeat them.

Those who know only because it is justified by extremist rhetoric are easily brainwashed. Another lesson from history.

Those who are most easily brainwashed fear to learn and routinely poo-poo lessons from history; using mockery and insult as a replacement for facts.

Facts were sexed up to justify death of almost 5000 American soldiers for no useful purpose. Extremists need to deny that - by refusing to learn and openly denying lessons from history.
Old 07-18-2016, 04:12 PM   #10
sexobon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Monkey View Post
You have to tie the outcomes to the actions that caused them in order to learn anything from them.
They don't have to be replayed ad nauseam. When they are, there's an ulterior motive.

Tw presents adulterated facts. Tw is irrelevant.
Old 07-19-2016, 09:57 AM   #11
tw

Quote:
They don't have to be replayed ad nauseam.
Ad nauseam is only a problem for wacko extremists - who are distressed when reality contradicts their emotional beliefs.

Ad nauseam is an emotion when an extremists is forced to learn lessons from history. Just because a wacko you loved useless killed almost 5000 American soldiers for no purpose - you want that to do away? History demonstrate why wacko extremists are bad for a nation. Vomiting does not cure that problem.
Old 07-19-2016, 05:33 PM   #12
sexobon

Tw is developmentally impaired. Tw thinks adulterating facts makes one an adult. Tw presents adulterated facts and tw presents lies. To wit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw View Post
... Just because a wacko you loved useless killed almost 5000 American soldiers ...
I didn't vote for him, either time.

Tw is a developmentally impaired self serving propagandist who believes that if he repeats his adulterations often enough, they will become the truth. He's just not very good at it. Tw's ego is writing checks his level of intelligence can't cash. Tw is irrelevant.

Case closed.
Old 07-20-2016, 09:50 AM   #13
tw

Quote:
Case closed.
If case is closed, then why do you keep posting the same cheapshots? Oh. Case is not closed. You lied again.

At what point do you realize you are being played? Just thought I would ask what should have been obvious.
Old 07-20-2016, 04:22 PM   #14
sexobon

sexobon - 2, tw - 0

Case closed.
Old 07-20-2016, 06:12 PM   #15
tw

Why do you keep posting masterbation as if that scores a goal? That is something that belongs on your Facebook page.