The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 11-20-2004, 12:29 AM   #31
wolf
lobber of scimitars

The plague of pink locusts coincided with the opening of the Clinton Presidential Library.

The end is nigh.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 02:48 AM   #32
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

AHHHHHHHH !!!!!!
She is right !!!

The only reason he ended up in the while house was to get him OUT of Arkansas !!!!
Old 11-20-2004, 08:38 AM   #33
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

Biblical?

As a child I remember hearing about people in biblical times "feasting" on wild locust and honey.
Isn't there a botanical version of locust? I hope so.....................
"and in the year of the famine, hunger and black death raced across the land, many were tortured and set sail for the Americas. For some there was hope, but some couldn't cope, so they spent their lives in search of fools gold" Thin Lizzy
Old 11-20-2004, 09:14 AM   #34
jaguar
whig

No, they just ate locusts, you still can, dipped in chocolate to boot.
Old 11-20-2004, 09:32 AM   #35
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

There is indeed a plant called locust, but it is an extremely hard, thorny tree, so I'm guesing it's the bugs they were eating.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 11:21 PM   #36
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Honey Locust
Quote:
Fruit forms on the female trees, and do not require male trees to produce this although they are required for full seed production. The pods contain up to 20 seeds embedded in a brown sugary pulp. The seeds are 21-36% of the weight of the pods. Honey locust trees are biennial in nature, bearing heavy crops every other year. The pods drop gradually after ripening from October to late winter. The pods make excellent fodder.
Black Locust
Quote:
Fruit: 2-4" (5-10 cm) long; a dark brown, narrowly oblong flat pod; maturing in autumn, remaining attached into winter, splitting open; 3-14 dark brown, flattened, beanlike seeds.Fruit: 2-4" (5-10 cm) long; a dark brown, narrowly oblong flat pod; maturing in autumn, remaining attached into winter, splitting open; 3-14 dark brown, flattened, beanlike seeds.

Warning Seeds are poisonous and can be fatal to humans and animals. Leaves, twigs, and bark may also be toxic. Sensitivity to a toxin varies with a person’s age, weight, physical condition, and individual susceptibility. Children are most vulnerable because of their curiosity and small size. Toxicity can vary in a plant according to season, the plant’s different parts, and its stage of growth; and plants can absorb toxic substances, such as herbicides, pesticides, and pollutants from the water, air, and soil
Old 11-20-2004, 11:34 PM   #37
wolf
lobber of scimitars

So I take it that the lord didn't leave the second kind laying around in the desert ...

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 08:05 AM   #38
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
Honey Locust

Black Locust

I think I'll just have some of the insects, Au Jus
Old 11-22-2004, 12:00 PM   #39
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

They've made it to southern Israel now
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 01:15 PM   #40
glatt

Eeek! My hair! My hair!
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 02:38 PM   #41
Uryoces
2nd Covenant, yo

"Bugs Mr. Rico! Zillions of 'em!"

Conditions are right to produce swarms of these buggers. The real test would have been an Aesopian ant-grasshopper thing; are you prepared to have your crop stripped clean overnight? Did you work enought to have some surplus stored? In this case though, they're just creepy and delicious roasted.
Old 11-22-2004, 08:59 PM   #42
wah
Vivacious Vivisectionist

Jaguar said:
Quote:
Or you're anthropomorphizing the ecosystem, the same way the greeks said the reason the sun went over the sky was because it was the wheel of Apollo's chariot.
Well, as we now have the theory/myth of evolution, one could quite rightly, IMHO, say that we have been antropomophized by the ecosystem.

It would only be kind to return the favor.

Also said:
Quote:
While it certainly is becoming an icon of sorts I'm not so convinced of the Infinate, call me down to earth but it looks like a tired soldier grabbing a fag and keeping an eye out for stray Iraqis with automatic weaponary.
O.k., I shall call you down to earth in that case. No one can tell you what the matrix is...it is something must be believed to be seen. A curious conundrum, that.

Quote:
They've made it to southern Israel now
LET THOSE PEOPLE GO!!!

wah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 07:32 AM   #43
glatt

Now they are in the Canary Islands. I guess they went from Africa to Israel and then all the way around the globe back around to the other side of Africa again.

glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 11:58 AM   #44
Cyber Wolf
As stable as a ring of PU-239

Location: On a huge rock covered in water, highly advanced moss and 7 billion parasites
That couldn't be another swarm, could it? I mean who's to say that one swarm is comprised of all of the pink locusts that exist in that area?

Or perhaps the bugs turned south and skimmed the southern coast of the Mediterraean Sea...?

Or maybe they appear on one horizon, move across a landscape and vanish into nothing on the other horizon like in that game Cleopatra?

"I don't see why it matters what is written. Not when it's about people. It can always be crossed out." ~Adam Young, Good Omens
Cyber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 11:53 PM   #45
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Different bugs bugging buggers.