The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 12-19-2002, 02:36 PM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

12/19/2002: Moonastery

This is an old MSNBC image. I have a few of these saved up that I just flick in here once in a while because they're great photographs.

This one shows the big ol' moon rising over what is described as the golden domes of the Orthodox Monastery of the Caves in Kiev.

There, it's known as the "Pechersky Lavra", built in the 11th century and the largest monastery since then. But here's why it's called the Monastery of the Caves: there are multiple networks of underground caves beneath it. These caves contain, amongst other things... dead people. The mummified bodies of more than 100 monks. As well as six subterranean churches. Wild.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 03:27 PM   #2
arz
Hand-of-Kindness Extender

Rome's "Capuchin Crypt"

In downtown Rome, on Via Veneto very close to the US Embassy, is Santa Maria della Concezione. Beneath it is what is commonly called the Capuchin Crypt.

It contains the bones of hundreds of long-dead Capuchin monks, "artfully" arranged into sculptures and other sorts of designs in 4 or 5 rooms.

It is macabre almost beyond description. I go there almost every time I'm in the city.

http://www.twenj.com/rometour4.htm#crypt
arz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 03:38 PM   #3
Senor Oso
Antagonistic Antagonist

I've been to the place on Via Veneto (in fact our hotel was right up the street.)

There's a place in the Czech Republic, near Karlovy Vary, that is about 8 times as big and has a LOT more bones. It's not as creepy, somehow, though. Even the pyramid of skulls didn't seem all that weird. I think it had something to do with the light - it was a lot better lit than the place in Rome. I'd post a link to it if I could find anything.
Senor Oso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 03:43 PM   #4
perth
Strong Silent Type

Quote:
Originally posted by Senor Oso
I've been to the place on Via Veneto (in fact our hotel was right up the street.)

There's a place in the Czech Republic, near Karlovy Vary, that is about 8 times as big and has a LOT more bones. It's not as creepy, somehow, though. Even the pyramid of skulls didn't seem all that weird. I think it had something to do with the light - it was a lot better lit than the place in Rome. I'd post a link to it if I could find anything.
sedlec ossuary?

~james
perth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 04:27 PM   #5
pootsky
Kinda New Member

I visited the catacombs in Paris which also have rooms filled with old bones. It filled old tunnels under the subway and the workers who transported these skeletons here often placed them in interesting sculptures (like skulls in the shape of a heart). If you are interested in seeing what I am talking about, check out this site:

http://www.quovadimus.org/paris/cat/
pootsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 04:50 PM   #6
perth
Strong Silent Type

more info on the ossuary. same info, different pictures for people like me who are morbidly fascinated by this.

~james
perth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 05:05 PM   #7
Senor Oso
Antagonistic Antagonist

Quote:
Originally posted by perth

sedlec ossuary?

~james
Yeah, that's it! Good catch!
Senor Oso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2002, 07:50 AM   #8
Katkeeper
Hoodoo Guru

Personally I think such caves are much better used by storing age worthy wines...

Or growing mushrooms.

Beautiful picture, by the way.
Katkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote