The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 08-23-2001, 12:38 PM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Bonus image for North American hockey fans

This image is actually from the future; we just don't know how far into the future.

They say comedy is tragedy plus time, so if you are offended by this picture, just wait longer!
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2001, 09:11 AM   #2
dave

i don't get it...
Old 08-24-2001, 09:19 AM   #3
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

OK, Eric Lindros was traded from the Flyers to the Rangers after suffering 6 concussions (and a collapsed lung and who knows what else). One of the ever-lasting memories of the guy, for Flyers' fans, is exactly like this - lying on the ice after his final hit in the Stanley Cup semi-finals. Somebody did the Worst Photoshop Job Ever and put him in the Rangers colors. But to Flyers fans it's still funny. Or will be funny after some time.
Old 08-24-2001, 09:55 AM   #4
dave

aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

living in fairfax, va, there are no major sports teams super close to me (well, baltimore, baltimore, washington and washington, but i don't follow 'em)... oh well. heh
Old 08-24-2001, 09:55 AM   #5
dave

guess that's why it wasn't marked "Bonus image for North Americans who don't know shit about hockey"
Old 08-24-2001, 10:22 AM   #6
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Here's another way to say basically the same thing. After his 1999 concussion, Lindros sat out the 2000 year. The Flyers held his rights but he demanded to be traded only to Toronto, and apparently Toronto wasn't going to give up enough in the trade. So this is the Flyers' 2000 team picture:

Old 08-24-2001, 10:42 AM   #7
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

*rofl*

That is too funny Tony!

I remember when he pitched a fit about being drafted by then-Quebec in the early 90s. At that time, I remember that he ONLY wanted to play for a team in the US. And when he was traded to Philadelphia (and I knew of Philly's sports reputation), I thought, "My God...they'll eat him alive." That was a horrible trade for the Flyers, b/c all they did was give Colorado the pieces to their first Stanley Cup.

When I heard that the Blues were pursuing him in the spring, I nearly died. I'd much rather them have a hothead with a bad temper (Keith Tkachuk) than a big crybaby (Lindros).

My girlfriend can't understand how Lindros can essentially control his own destiny (his past after being drafted, and his lofty trade demands this time around). I advised her to look at what has gone down over the past year...I mean, the guy was held out of hockey for a year (which served him right). He'll be eaten alive in New York too.

There was only one team that seemed super-interested in him...and that was the lowly Islanders. Apparently, Nassau County wasn't suitable.

dhamsaic: I would definitely take note of the Caps this year. Jaromir Jagr is probably the best player in the game...and Ted Leonsis got him. I liked the way Leonsis has tried to hype the Caps since he bought them. I hated the time I spent in Washington, but I did develop an affection for the Caps. Not to mention, it doesn't hurt that Chris Simon and I kinda look alike.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2001, 11:56 AM   #8
dynamo
Paramour of Paradigm

well since some of you guys are in philly...

I'd really like to know how some of the flyers fans who read the cellar feel abou this whole fiasco. I'm a HUGE hockey fan, and have been following this lindros thing extremely closely from a nice distance (St Louis).

First we should state that canada is composed of two types of people. French Canadians and the rest. Those two sets of people tolerate each other, but they don't necessarily like each other. As I understand it, that was lindros' main reason for not wanting to play for quebec. It's not that he wanted to play for an american team, he wanted to play for a non-french canadian team. He pulled almost the exact same stunt in juniors. But that's his right as a player, if he doesn't want to play for a given team, he doesn't have to sign a contract. Leave it up to the team, you can let him sit, or trade him and get something for him. But unlike Yashin, Lindros never refused to honor a contract. To his credit, he never went after the long term deal with all the guarenteed buckage, he played year to year. However, if I were a flyers fan, I'd say screw lindros, if you don't wanna play for my team, then believe me, I don't want you. Players come and go, the flyers have a history.

But what I'm interested in is how you guys feel about Bobby Clarke. My feeling is that he was really childish and vengeful throughout the whole ordeal. If I were a GM, I'd get rid of the distraction, the players are clearly caught in the middle, surely they like their teammate, but also owe loyalty to their club. Anyway, lindros I can take or leave, he clearly is an emotional guy and I respect that but you're gonna alienate people when you start picking who you'll play for. I think Bobby's an ass though. I think if I met lindros we might hit it off, but I don't think mr. clarke and I would get along.

As for the future of lindros, he'll do just fine in the big apple. He and the city of New York (including the media) have one very big thing in common, they all idolize messier. He just needs to worry about playing hockey and staying healthy, mess will handle the rest. This is a great opportunity for big E.
dynamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2001, 07:59 PM   #9
elSicomoro

Re: well since some of you guys are in philly...

Quote:
Originally posted by dynamo
I'd really like to know how some of the flyers fans who read the cellar feel abou this whole fiasco. I'm a HUGE hockey fan, and have been following this lindros thing extremely closely from a nice distance (St Louis).
Dynamo: Are you from St. Louis or just live there now? I lived there until 2 years ago.

Quote:
It's not that he wanted to play for an american team, he wanted to play for a non-french canadian team. He pulled almost the exact same stunt in juniors.
At the time, I don't think ANYONE wanted to play in Quebec City. Ah, but it was the Av's gain in the end. I could be wrong, but I could have sworn that he was pretty adamant about not playing in Canada period.

Quote:
However, if I were a flyers fan, I'd say screw lindros, if you don't wanna play for my team, then believe me, I don't want you. Players come and go, the flyers have a history.
I didn't move here until after all the b.s. went down. He's good when he's healthy, but he's been injured too much in recent years. The Flyers did well without him last year, and having Jeremy Roenick now makes a big difference.

Bobby Clarke still has too much of his playing spirit. He could have been a gentleman and just let bygones be bygones...but he only added fuel to the fire. I appreciate a person that speaks his mind, but you also have to have tact. I think Lindros was done wrong with the whole concussion situation. Not to mention, the Flyers did Roger Neilson wrong too.

Quote:
As for the future of lindros, he'll do just fine in the big apple. He and the city of New York (including the media) have one very big thing in common, they all idolize messier. He just needs to worry about playing hockey and staying healthy, mess will handle the rest. This is a great opportunity for big E.
If he could handle the Philly scene, he should be able to handle New York. However, the scrutiny is on now with more intensity than ever. I think the Flyers made out great on this trade. And with Messier back, having Lindros...a healthy Lindros...can only make the Rangers better.

Last edited by elSicomoro; 08-29-2001 at 08:03 PM.
Old 08-29-2001, 08:18 PM   #10
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Yeah, as a Flyers fan, I think Eric was right to not sign for Quebec, but I think over the years he's just gotten his way every single time until it just got to be too much.

The Flyers are a different kind of organization. If you are in their good graces, you really are treated as a family member. Loyalty to the organization pays off in spades. Hextall was given a scout position. Clarke is given leeway as GM - and it's his second time around in that role. Propp was put on radio even though he was terrible for it. Barber is now head coach after being carefully groomed for years.

If you go against the organization, though, you are cast off. The Lindros action is right in personality for the team.

As for Clarke, my pet theory is right along with Syc's... he still thinks he's a player. When Terry Murray called the team's disappointing playoff play "a choking situation", he was given the boot. Hey, coach doesn't like the team, he's gone! When various goalies just couldn't do it any longer - hey, you can't blame Hexy, he's the goalie! When trading for players to return to the team - hey we're gettin the old line back together! When teams playing the trap win year after year - we're not gonna play that pussy defense!

Same goes for a lot of the crap that went down around the Lindros situation, and Clarke just got lucky that the Rangers suddenly needed the guy. But I think the Flyers got so much more out of that deal, it's not funny. Of course the Rangers have always thrown away their young talent for aging fossils (which Lindros may or may not be). But a 28-goal scorer in his second season, and a mobile defenseman, and a highly regarded prospect? Awesome deal, man, see you in the cup finals.
Old 08-29-2001, 08:41 PM   #11
elSicomoro

The facts on Lindros speak for themselves:

--He has only played in 70+ games in a season twice. Although he did play 46 out of 50 games in 94-95.

--A great scorer: He has scored a point a game throughout his career.

--Concussions: Too many

--Split personality: Does a lot of charity work for the Childrens Miracle Network. Yet, he comes across as a prima donna, having his daddy fight his battles.

--No ring, but a Stanley Cup doesn't necessarily make a great player. Brett Hull was already a great player before he won a cup in Dallas. Ray Bourque was a great player before he won a cup in Denver. A Cup is nice, but you have to have a good cohesive team. It was nice for the Pens to have Jagr and Lemieux, but there were other players on the ice too.

--28 years old: He's still a kid, really...

Maybe this is what the guy needed. Truth be told, I almost feel a bit sorry for him, given what happened here. But he'll move on...the Flyers have already done so.

I have to say Blues over Caps in 7 for the Cup though.
Old 08-29-2001, 08:45 PM   #12
elSicomoro

It's about that time...

You know, this got me thinking though...

Pat Croce is off to pasture now with Comcast-Spectacor...but what if they let Pat run the Flyers? Hmmm...

They just opened the new Skate Zone near my home on Comly Rd. I'm hoping they'll do some practices up there this fall...
Old 08-30-2001, 11:58 AM   #13
dynamo
Paramour of Paradigm

syc: st. louis born and breed. unfortunately, I've been a die hard blues fan for most of my life, and that has sometimes made for a hard life

Tony: I agree, philly got some great players. Hlavac is on my fantasy team, so of course I love him johnnson is coming along, defensemen take a while to develope. and brendl, wow, a blue chip prospect.

I'd have to say that the east is FINALLY looking interesting. For the last 2 years, the talk has been about the "big 4" detroit, colorado, dallas and st. louis. When we talk about the east we really just mean new jersey. Now the east has some good teams that might really make things interesting. Philly and Jersey for sure, and I'm a big fan of Ottawa, they REALLY drafted shrewdly. An expansion team success story. And yes, I like washington's moves too. I hate to say I don't think Mario will be able to compete for the cup...he'll probably will the scoring race though!

I love hockey.
dynamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2001, 01:37 PM   #14
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

My old partner in crime ("darling" for old Cellarites) was from Ottawa and, before he decided that I was scum, he educated me about the quality of the team and the town's support for it. So I have a soft spot in my heart for the Sens, and I hope they can make it for the long haul. They have the same trouble Philly has: build a great team, play great hockey all year, get knocked out of the playoffs early. They also have the Canadian dollar to deal with (but there's no excuse for Yashin being a dick about it).
Old 08-30-2001, 06:54 PM   #15
elSicomoro

dynamo: Where did you go to high school? (You should have figured it was coming. ) I lived in St. Louis almost my entire life, and my parents still live on the South Side. My first ever hockey game was in 1983...a 10-5 thrashing of Detroit. Yes, we suffered through Saskatoon, Harry Ornest, the Monday Night Miracle, Mike Keenan, and now *gulp* The Savvis Center. St. Louis is finally a serious hockey town (at least to the rest of the world), primarily thanks to Mike Shanahan, Ron Caron, and Brett Hull.

And now for my picks:

--Washington: Jagr is the best player in hockey, even with Mario back. Bondra is staying put, as is Olie. A good solid team that is only a few years removed from a Stanley Cup run.

--Philadelphia: Another solid team, now fortified with Jeremy Roenick. Simon Gagne will flourish. And a good solid backstop with Boucher and Cechmanek.

--New Jersey: From Kansas City to Colorado to laughing stocks to a perennial contender. Always a threat.

--Ottawa: With Yashin back, the Sens will be more formidable. However, I wonder how much longer the Sens will play in Canada. They already lost the Sens once...to St. Louis.

And the West...

--Colorado: No brainer. Sakic, Forsberg, Blake. Ray Bourque will be missed, but not too terribly much.

--Detroit: Hasek and Hull will have one more run at Stanley Cup glory. Another perennial contender.

--Dallas: Starting to come apart somewhat. Still a good team, and a nice acquisition in Turgeon. But a sweep by St. Louis was painful...

and of course...

--St. Louis: Personal fanaticism aside, this IS the team to beat. Doug Weight, Keith Tkachuk, Chris Pronger, Al MacInnis, Pavol Demitra. And still one of the best farm systems. The main weakness I see on this team is goaltending (Chris Osgood anyone?).

And let us not forget SLC this year...the US has a great crop of players, so long as they can contain themselves if they lose. And we can watch the games at a relatively decent hour this time around...and live too!

Unfortunately, I didn't follow the Flyers so well this past year, not to mention the Sixers haze kinda came over the city. I did follow the Blues though as well as the Caps.

The beautiful thing about teams like the Caps, the Blues, the Flyers, and the 'Lanche: Deep pocketed owners who are more than willing to sign checks.

Hmmm...I'm wondering if the recent increase in my Comcast bill is due to the signing of Roenick.