The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

Old 07-09-2008, 02:25 PM   #31
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

Bruce : I know, but isn't that the church that 'fathered' a lot of our current religious communities? (Here in the States, I mean). This was just a thought that occurred to me as I was reading the posts in this thread. I'm still always baffled...just like Flint is, by how difficult is to get people off religious dogma even when it cant be substantiated or goes against what is considered common knowledge now (like that the Grand Canyon is only 4,500 years old).

Jinx: I stand corrected.. . I was close...though. :p
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 02:32 PM   #32
regular.joe
Старый сержант

Hey ya'll I must recant. I've made a grave error, the experiment that I had in mind in my post is the "Double Slit Experiment."

My apologies. I'm getting old, and have been blown up one too many times.

Death, like birth, is a secret of Nature. - Marcus Aurelius.
regular.joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 08:32 PM   #33
juju
no one of consequence

Hi guys! It's been a long time.

I really must disagree with the sentiment that religion and science can peacefully coexist. They are mutually exclusive. The reason is, they both speak to the same thing: to answer questions about the nature of the universe. This is the reason they are so frequently at odds.

The only reason for religion is to fill in the gaps in our knowledge. The so called "God of the Gaps". Anytime there is a gap in knowledge, just plug in God.

Even the existence of God himself is a scientific hypothesis that could be proven if he actually existed.

To those who would suggest that God created everything, I would ask, who created God? Any being powerful enough to create a universe must necessarily be more complex than that universe himself. So, where did he come from? If the universe must have been created because it's complex, well God would have to be complex to, so who created him? All this does is attempt to answer a mystery with a mystery. Why not just say you don't know, or fill the gaps in your knowledge in with provable facts?

Oh! And just to hit on Flint's point on the Neatherthals, I don't think there is concensus among Physical Anthropologists that Neanderthals and Homo Sapiens ever came into contact. Although their fossils are found in the same regional area within the same timeline, the dating method they use only has a certain time resolution. So, when the weather changed, the Neatherthals could have moved north on their own, and then the Homo Sapiens could have moved in a few years later. As far as I know, it wasn't proven that they ever saw each other. It's only circumstantial evidence. Interesting nonetheless.

Last edited by juju; 07-09-2008 at 08:34 PM. Reason: spelling
juju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 09:27 PM   #34
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
Even the existence of God himself is a scientific hypothesis that could be proven if he actually existed.
Not "could be proven if he actually existed"

But "would be proven if he actually exists"

That, I think, would be a proper statement of the scientific method. Otherwise, you're putting the conclusion into the hypothesis.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 09:34 PM   #35
juju
no one of consequence

Well, I didn't mean to say I was stating a hypothesis, just that one could be formed.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:51 PM   #36
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

OK here's the hypothesis: "God exists".

Go to it!
Old 07-09-2008, 09:54 PM   #37
juju
no one of consequence

Ya, too bad he doesn't exist. If he did, there'd be evidence of it and it could be proven.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:08 PM   #38
regular.joe
Старый сержант

In any system there are statements that are true that can not be proven.

Old 07-09-2008, 10:12 PM   #39
juju
no one of consequence

Such as?
Old 07-09-2008, 10:19 PM   #40
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

Yer a Pooopy Head !!
Old 07-09-2008, 10:26 PM   #41
regular.joe
Старый сержант

cchttp://www.research.ibm.com/people/h...n00-goedel.pdf

Old 07-09-2008, 10:42 PM   #42
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

r.j I've read that paper, and I think they made a fundamental error in using the "0" symbol. See here for further discussion.

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 10:43 PM   #43
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Well you can't prove a negative, so you can't prove God doesn't exist.

We appear to be no further along this problem.
Old 07-10-2008, 12:38 AM   #44
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

page marker

skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 01:00 AM   #45
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pico and ME View Post
Bruce : I know, but isn't that the church that 'fathered' a lot of our current religious communities? (Here in the States, I mean).
Yes, but through the reformation and subsequent splits, the church isn't The church anymore.
Quote:
This was just a thought that occurred to me as I was reading the posts in this thread. I'm still always baffled...just like Flint is, by how difficult is to get people off religious dogma even when it cant be substantiated or goes against what is considered common knowledge now (like that the Grand Canyon is only 4,500 years old).
Probably lack of education and laziness.
Coberst expounded on the value of a "quest for disinterested knowledge". There is a whole lot of people that aren't interest in learning anything besides the sports scores, or what time Wheel of Fortune is on, if it doesn't relate to their job.

There is the problem that scientific knowledge is a moving target, constantly being updated, often changing what they previously thought was true. If you just catch the headlines, it can lead to confusion and mistrust of the scientific community.
For example, I'm hearing a lot of that about Global Warming. People saying, hey they said global cooling was a problem, then warming is a problem... those scientists don't know shit.

Oh, and juju works for the devil itself.