The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 01-05-2017, 06:19 AM   #31
Griff
still says videotape

Yeah, Rogue was my last theatre pic as well. It was nice to be in the universe again and put in some puzzle pieces.
Old 01-06-2017, 08:18 AM   #32
Snakeadelic
Banned

Doctor Strange, and the next one we're planning on is Guardians of the Galaxy 2 in May, followed by Thor 3 in July. If anything non-Marvel that looks awesome enough comes up, we'll sure give it consideration...our theater is tiny and the owner is heavily prejudiced against showing R-rated movies. I'm pretty sure the only reason he screened Deadpool was so he didn't lose the rest of the MCU movies. We had to drive 50 miles for the Conan reboot, and we're still kinda wishing they'd get off their butts and make a movie of the Iron Crown story while they have a decent Conan if they can pry him out of DC's claws. I know a lot of folks didn't like the Conan reboot, but I live with someone who has the first FIFTEEN collected Savage Sword of Conan anthology books...and thought the reboot was, at least, better than Conan the Destroyer. Faint praise, but better than none, right?
Snakeadelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 08:22 AM   #33
Snakeadelic
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
Deadpool

Enjoyed is a pathetic understatement.
We have some pretty serious love for Mr. Pool in my house Wish we'd been able to catch it big screen, but theater movies are kind of a big deal for us since we don't drive and rarely leave home.

Gotta make sure the budget holds up and transport is available (dual fixed-income household, fixed-income neighbor who can rarely sit through a theater feature, alternate transport is limited to a Prius driven by either someone recuperating from a head injury or her husband...). Ah, well...MAXIMUM EFFORT, right?
Old 01-06-2017, 08:28 AM   #34
Snakeadelic
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
Still haven't been to a theater since "Braveheart".

I alllllmost went to an IMAX showing of "Star Trek Into Darkness". $19/person nixed that idea.
If I could go back in time, I'd catch Into Darkness on a theater screen. Went to the 2009 reboot with the neighbor and quite liked the new crew, particularly Mr. Young Spock Will Beat Your A$$. It'd be fun to try to catch the momentary R2-D2 cameo as flying debris in Into Darkness, plus Benedict Cummerbund (okay, so I can't remember how to spell his name this early in the morning) is a pretty decent actor when given a snarky character.

I think my feelings about the current Twin Pillars of Uber-British Actors are summed up by a Tumblr post I found a while back--Benedict bitching about why people HAVE to get an autograph, defacing a book just because their friends won't believe them otherwise, and meanwhile Tom Hiddleston on a publicity tour for I Saw The Light is all "Hey, dude, can I sign your hat?" I would never have bet someone as Shakespearean as Hiddleston could pull off one of the great hearts of American country music...but wow.
Old 01-06-2017, 08:31 AM   #35
Snakeadelic
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trilby View Post
Up in the Air with Gorgeous George.

now my father - the last movie HE saw in a theatre was CONVOY. Beat that!
DAMN. What'd 1979 do to piss him off that bad? I watched Convoy like 9 million times on HBO, because back in like '82 when HBO was THE BIG NEW THING we had it for a while and they only had about a dozen movies. Convoy, Beastmaster, and a documentary called The Glacier Fox all got on my mom's nerves SO BAD after about the 20th viewing each...
Old 01-06-2017, 08:34 AM   #36
Snakeadelic
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite monkey View Post
I saw The Martian. Liked it very much.

I saw The Visit. Liked it very much.

I saw Black Mass. Liked it very much.

Even though they're all RUBBISH, I liked them.
Never let anyone tell you not to enjoy a terrible movie for whatever reason! Some of our consistent favorites are awful. Although, if my neighbor tries to get me to watch Wild Hogs or Roadside Prophets ONE MORE TIME...those are not my kind of awful. My kind of awful is best expressed as "I own like 25 Godzilla movies and all but about 5 of the snake-based creature features I know of, including Snake Island and Snakes on a Train."