The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 12-27-2015, 06:01 PM   #16
monster
I hear them call the tide

My guys didn't think so.

.....In fact they just went from discussing tomorrow's car/driver schedule almost seamlessly to some theory about skywalkers, rebel helmets and dolls as I type....
Old 12-27-2015, 06:40 PM   #17
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Yeah, Mr. Clod didn't think so. No comment from MIL and SIL, the two younger kids didn't understand what was going on for much of it, and the two older kids thought it was okay but had already seen it and weren't super thrilled to be seeing it again.

I mean it wasn't terrible. But it was hugely predictable, with stilted dialogue and unjustifiable plot points that only got away with themselves because it was framed as fan service and ironic callbacks. I wish I got it, but I just don't.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 07:10 PM   #18
glatt

The Star Wars SPOILER thread

The 15 of us went to see it over Christmas. My second time. I could watch it a third time. And we had some lively discussion at dinner afterwards including a theory by my 7 year old nephew that Rey is the love child from an affair between Luke and Han because she has both the Force and mad pilot / mechanical skills.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 07:30 PM   #19
Clodfobble

Yeah, we're all certain that Rey is Luke's kid, and Finn is going to turn out to be Boba Fett's kid. And Skoon? Spook? Whatever the big guy's name is... he's Gollum's kid.
Old 12-27-2015, 07:47 PM   #20
glatt

Our theory is that the big guy is really like two feet tall but just has a Napoleon complex and makes his hologram really big.
Old 12-27-2015, 07:57 PM   #21
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

My daughter saw me gesticulate when, in that first scene with voldemort, the hologram winked out. I had been marveling at how big he was, and the disappointment manifested. My body went , "Pah! "
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 07:59 AM   #22
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
.. and Finn is going to turn out to be Boba Fett's kid...
I think he's Lando's kid.
Old 12-28-2015, 09:33 AM   #23
Clodfobble

THAT'S who I was trying to think of yesterday. I just kept calling him "that Rando guy," and no one had any idea.
Old 12-28-2015, 11:27 AM   #24
glatt

"Lip my stockings. Lip them."

/Lost in Translation

Rando vs. Lando

/Clodfobble
Old 12-30-2015, 03:34 AM   #25
janetfdoss
Janet Doss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Monkey View Post
Practical effects
Agreed here.
janetfdoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 12:27 PM   #26
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

THIS
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 01:10 PM   #27
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
The previous administration took the spoor to see the latest star wars. The mm starts telling me the whole thing and I cut her off saying, "
don't tell me anything I want to go see it. No spoilers." (An aside, she should know what that means as she watches Dr. Who all the time.) I might have even said 'sweetie' at the end of no spoliers.

She gets this affronted look on her face and says "I wasn't going to tell you any spoliers, I was just going to say that Han Solo dies."

"That is literally the definition of a spoiler, right there. What you just said."

They act like they know what the are saying but they just know a bunch of words.
Old 01-05-2016, 12:02 PM   #28
Beest
Adapt and Survive

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
a theory by my 7 year old nephew that Rey is the love child from an affair between Luke and Han because she has both the Force and mad pilot / mechanical skills.
Vader/Anakin was an acclaimed pilot, as was Luke, no need for scoundrel genetics. ( do some research 7 year old kid, Ha!)

we were toying with the theory that Rey is a Kenobi, it's a bit of a stretch, Occams razor says she is a Skywalker

After seeing it I wasn't sure what the big spoiler was that people had been getting het up about. Harrison Ford wanted Han killed off in Return of the Jedi, so if there were any future movies nobody else would get the part, he would be the only Han.
Beest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 09:11 PM   #29
glatt

I just bought tickets to see it with the kids at the 3D laser projection IMAX theater at the Dulles Air and Space museum. According to what I was able to find, this is the best possible venue to see it in. There are 5 or 6 of this type of theater in the USA and one of them is 30 minutes away from me. So we're going Saturday.

I don't normally like 3D but I spoke to someone else who doesn't care for 3D and they said it was good in this movie. And this IMAX laser projection is supposedly the cat's meow. JJ Abrams says so too.

This will be the last time I shell out money for this (until the box set comes out on disc.)
Old 01-12-2016, 01:27 PM   #30
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

I saw it there. Very nice. Much better 3D than elsewhere.

Plus, you can go early (or stay late), at the Air & Space. I just posted some pics from my visit on my flickr page (see signature).
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote