The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > The Internet
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

The Internet Web sites, web development, email, chat, bandwidth, the net and society

Old 04-04-2019, 09:00 AM   #2326
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Blue states are generally where there are nuclear plants, dams, or where the state imports their electricity. SC has 4 nuke plants, PA has 5. IN is flat and has no nukes. WA has 33 hydroelectric-producing dams. VT imports 40% of its power.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 10:31 AM   #2327
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Yes, PA has 5 nukes and we don't all glow in the dark, imagine that. Who've thought nukes can be safe.
Old 04-04-2019, 11:35 AM   #2328
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

3 Mile Island anniversary was just a few days ago...Just sayin'.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 11:46 AM   #2329
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I know, I was within the 20 mile radius along with all my friends!

I favor nukes 100%, there have long since been new designs which would have prevented the TMI problem.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 12:12 PM   #2330
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

I got no probs w/nukey energy.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 04-04-2019, 12:36 PM   #2331
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
I got no probs w/nukey energy.
Never forget why TMI2 happened. They knew they had a problem at 4 AM. Desperately called corporate saying they needed help. The only guy in corporate who knew anything about nuclear power was on National Guard duty. So management told plant operators that everything was OK. And continued telling the press same for three days.

As things got worse, plant operators could not even place outgoing phone calls. Management would not even ask Bell of PA to provide upgraded service or more phone lines. A solution did not happen until Jimmy Carter (after a request from the PA Governor) connected all phones in TMI directly through the White House switchboard.

Just another example of why we are so damn lucky and the thing that makes nuclear power so dangerous. In this case, 99% of all problems were directly traceable to top management. Top management lies so often that the press ignored everything that GPU top management said.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 03:10 PM   #2332
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Every time we built a nuke they changed to rules and regulations, so no two were alike and more expensive. In France they settled on a design and built them all the same which was much cheaper.
The Westinghouse Pressurized Water Reactor system was reasonably safe in that the radioactive water transfers the heat in a heat exchanger to the water that became steam and drove the turbines.
GE came out with the cheaper Boiling Water Reactor System where the radioactive steam drove the turbines making the machinery and turbine hall hot. In order to overhaul the turbines, the radioactive parts would be shipped back to GE for machining.

The real problem with the nukes is how to dispose of the spent fuel, but all they have to do is build a wall out of it.
Old 04-04-2019, 05:04 PM   #2333
Rhianne
Nearly done.

And it's not just the nuclear stations and the disposal of their waste we have to worry about, hydro-electric stations seem to be causing just about as many and more immediate problems.

Around the globe dams are failing and it turns out that a whole load of them, even in what we call the developed world, were shoddily built and have been even more poorly maintained.
Rhianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 06:03 PM   #2334
fargon
Person who doesn't update the user title

High Rhianne, how goes it?
Heavily medicated for the good of mankind.
fargon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 06:35 AM   #2335
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
The real problem with the nukes is how to dispose of the spent fuel, but all they have to do is build a wall out of it.
This is the only real issue. A functional government would have settled it long ago.
Old 04-05-2019, 11:05 AM   #2336
Rhianne
Nearly done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fargon View Post
High Rhianne, how goes it?
Just about hanging together. I hope you are well.
Rhianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 11:18 AM   #2337
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
This is the only real issue. A functional government would have settled it long ago.
Don't they break up the spent fuel rods into bullet-sized pieces and shoot them at brown people in sandy places?

Old 04-06-2019, 01:14 AM   #2338
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Don't want to help fuel their nuclear program.
Old 04-06-2019, 07:48 AM   #2339
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
Don't they break up the spent fuel rods into bullet-sized pieces and shoot them at brown people in sandy places?
Something like 3% of Uranium gets used in those rods. Problem is those rods are still highly radioactive. And now contains Plutonium.

Uranium ore has less than 1% U-235. Depleted Uranium is the byproduct after removing as much U-235 as possible So depleted Uranium is even less radioactive.

MOX fuel is the process of extracting both Uranium and Plutonium. Then combining those materials to create another useful nuclear fuel. It has not been successfully used in the US but is more commonly used in Russia, Japan, and France. It could substantially reduce the amount of spent nuclear uranium rods. But makes Plutonium proliferation (nuclear weapons and 'dirty' bombs) easier.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 03:41 PM   #2340
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by slang View Post

[MuffledByPaperBag]

Wikipedia, NYT, Wired, Reddit and themillenniumreport.com not credible?

Let me see if I can hack into DoD and look around. This might take some time.

[/MuffledByPaperBag]

Hours of searching strange sites ( other than the above ) and I've found the reference that I was looking for.

It's a book in German with no translation and not available in Kindle.

Another project.

It might be a while before I get to it. Grief councilors are on standby.
slang is offline   Reply With Quote