The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 04-13-2008, 03:05 PM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

April 13, 2008: Pigs In Space

No, not these pigs in space....

These, pigs in space....

From ESA (European Space Agency);
Quote:
Between the launch of Sputnik on 4 October 1957 and 1 January 2008, approximately 4600 launches have placed some 6000 satellites into orbit, of which about 400 are travelling beyond geostationary orbit or on interplanetary trajectories.

Today, it is estimated that only 800 satellites are operational - roughly 45 percent of these are both in LEO and GEO. Space debris comprise the ever-increasing amount of inactive space hardware in orbit around the Earth as well as fragments of spacecraft that have broken up, exploded or otherwise become abandoned. About 50 percent of all trackable objects are due to in-orbit explosion events (about 200) or collision events (less than 10).

High res pictures, here.
Old 04-13-2008, 03:13 PM   #2
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Maybe those that pay to put these sats in orbit should also have to pay for their destruction/removal/disposition after their useful life is over...I've said this for years.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 03:37 PM   #3
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

The way the prices of scrap metal are going, maybe Branson can make it profitable. Tourist rides on a space scrap truck.
Old 04-13-2008, 04:59 PM   #4
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

some body needs to collect , sort , bundel and jet this stuff to the moon for raw product when we set up a Moon base .
Old 04-13-2008, 05:44 PM   #5
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

We were promised a moon base by now, weren't we? Vacations on the moon? Fishing in ancient moon volcano holes for sexy moon mermaids and mermen? all that stuff the brochure promised?
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 10:36 PM   #6
spudcon
Beware of potatoes

Someone should just go up there and get all that stuff, and put it out to the curb.
spudcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 10:36 PM   #7
Eclipse
Sibling of the Commonweal

This is what's making space launches more and more difficult. Hopefully someone comes up with a good way of getting rid of that debris. Does anyone remember seeing this joked about in the trailers of the future Pixar film, Wall-E?
Eclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 01:01 AM   #8
The 42
I'm not lurking, I'm stalking YOU!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse View Post
Does anyone remember seeing this joked about in the trailers of the future Pixar film, Wall-E?
Yeah, I was just thinking about that.
Another thought: If the only place we're getting our resources is Earth, then we WILL eventually run out of metals, or if we find a way to fabricate metal from something else, then we'll run out of mass. All that debris would be much more useful brought back to earth and melted down than flung off into space...
Too bad the only people in a position to actually do anything about it are too short-sighted to care!
Old 04-14-2008, 04:17 AM   #9
SPUCK
Professor

More!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjiGH9QNiU0
SPUCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 12:00 PM   #10
Imigo Jones
Tornado Ali

Location: Used to be woods in town on prairie; now Emerald City
Aren't there zoning laws . . .

. . . against this sort of eyesore? Earth must look like the place with the Chevy and two old pickup trucks up on blocks in the front yard. Plus the busted-down washer and doorless refrigerator on the porch.

P.s.: (xo)3Bruce, thanks for the welcome the other day.
Imigo Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 02:29 PM   #11
WillieO
perfesionul spel cheker

Maybe this is our new defense system to keep those little green men away. Just make the whole damn neighborhood look bad and they'll move in across town!
WillieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 05:02 PM   #12
YellowBolt
I lurk with the best of them

Location: not close to philadelphia. :( well, not THAT close.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The 42 View Post
Yeah, I was just thinking about that.
Another thought: If the only place we're getting our resources is Earth, then we WILL eventually run out of metals, or if we find a way to fabricate metal from something else, then we'll run out of mass. All that debris would be much more useful brought back to earth and melted down than flung off into space...
Too bad the only people in a position to actually do anything about it are too short-sighted to care!
And how do you propose we actually go about doing this? The cargo bay on the space shuttle has only enough room to hold 60 by 15 feet of debris, not to mention how you actually plan on getting that garbage into the cargo area. There's also the issue of finding a way to manoeuver your spaceship into position while using as little expensive rocket fuel as possible.

Basically, present tech is nowhere close to being advanced enough to clean up space debris.
YellowBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 07:24 PM   #13
spudcon
Beware of potatoes

Solution:
Attached Images

spudcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 04:18 AM   #14
SPUCK
Professor

Yeah and depicting each little tin can and nut as something about the size of the Florida tends to exaggerate the problem a weeee bit.
SPUCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 04:48 AM   #15
Scriveyn
amnesic-confabulatory opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillieO View Post
Maybe this is our new defense system to keep those little green men away. Just make the whole damn neighborhood look bad and they'll move in across town!
That is until the little green yuppies come along, converting the old satellites into lofts.
Scriveyn is offline   Reply With Quote